Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Hotel Deals location discussion UPDATE: reverted to original location

Hotel Deals location discussion UPDATE: reverted to original location

Old Jan 23, 17, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Question Hotel Deals location discussion UPDATE: reverted to original location

I discovered last week by accident the Hotel Deals forum was moved from Miles&Points to the Hotels & Places to Stay forum and posted the news in the General Codes thread to let everyone know.

There has been a small amount of discussion in the thread, so I thought I would move the conversation into the Suggestion Box to keep the codes thread clear.

If this is a topic not up for debate, please feel free to lock or delete my post.

Thank you.
Old Jan 23, 17, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
There does not appear to be a principled reason why Mileage Run Deals would remain outside the tree for frequent flyer programs, but Hotel Deals requires clicking through to the long directory of hotel programs. While I recognize all of the nomenclature is odd, since "Miles and Points" has become the home for all questions about specific travel products and deals, this seems like a change no one was aasking for,
Old Jan 23, 17, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I'd suggest giving strong consideration in placement based on potential for the thread having a remarkable or very useful deal, as those are what contribute immensely to FT's overall stickiness (and therefore the size and loyalty of the user base).

In the early days, for example, I was most often found in the Continental forum, which at the time had all kinds of bizarre deals like the "Hyatt deal," where I called in to have a code added to my account and woke up one day with 40K posted points, even though I hadn't stayed at a Hyatt. There was also the ingenious CO-to-UA-via-Amtrak pipeline that let me move 275K total points that later let me get all around Australia and the South Pacific on NZ with UA points around 2005-06.

And of course lots of mistake-fare "prairie fires," though those aren't as common as they were.

Considering all that, Hotel Deals can rank very high, IMO. The expedia.uk one in 2009, for example, saved me a ton at just the right time. If there's some really good or unusual one like that for an entire booking site it can have a huge ripple.

Sometimes the tail can even wag the dog when it comes to hotel deals in expensive places (NYC, Bora-Bora, etc.) incentivizing trips. I tend to think in terms of trying to get the great airfare deal and then building out from there, but there can be cases where the lodgings are the more significant expense.

Bottom line is that I've benefited a lot from info in the Hotel Deals thread over the years, and given its relative value for that vs other threads, I think it should be grouped like before with the mileage run deals or given a prominent placement like that. It shouldn't be buried for the sake of a particular organization system.

Would also point out that many of us who've self-funded have never been able to cost-justify playing the hotel frequent-guest-program game. It's fine for biz travelers, but for those like me with less resources the cost/benefit has never worked out for hotels and I'm usually sub-$50. So the program info can't help and the sales on the chain websites usually don't, but other things in Hotel Deals sometimes do (and boxo deserves credit for all his work there, BTW)
Old Jan 24, 17, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The hotel deals forum and threads have saved me thousands over the years; I think it's at least as important to many FTers as the mileage run forum/threads and shouldn't be buried deep in the file tree where it is now. I'd suggest just putting it back where it's been for years, up with the mileage run deals. It's almost impossible to find now, even if you're looking specifically for it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jan 24, 17 at 7:16 am
Old Jan 24, 17, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I too prefer the prior location for the Hotel Deals forum on FT.

It worked well enough for me before, so I'm not sure what I gain from this "fix" that moved it.
Old Jan 24, 17, 4:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
I also strongly support moving the thread to the top of the page again. I also assume it would get less deals listed hidden down there where it is now.
Old Jan 24, 17, 7:15 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Me too
Old Jan 24, 17, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I agree. The logical position is in Miles&Points, before the airline programs. It's lost in the tail of the hotel programs.
Old Jan 24, 17, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Dito.
Old Jan 24, 17, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

It worked well enough for me before, so I'm not sure what I gain from this "fix" that moved it.
^
Old Jan 26, 17, 3:05 am

Programs: AA Exp
When visiting Flyertalk, I always visit the mileage run deals and the hotel deals threads first. The move of the hotel deals thread is quite annoying. Would be great if it could be moved back.
Old Jan 27, 17, 1:55 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Awful place to put Hotel Deals.

Is there a reasoning why one of the most popular sections was moved?
Common sense would dictate the most popular sections would be at top and easiest to find/access.
Old Jan 27, 17, 11:39 am
Community Director

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion. I've read all the posts and find you've made a persuasive case for reverting the forum to its prior location. I've now done so. Should the location fail to "stick", let me know. Sometimes Internet Brands needs to sprinkle fairy dust on the forum relocation. (I've also mentioned it to the tech person at IB.)

Carol
Community Director
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Thank you, SanDiego1K, for hearing our concerns and restoring the Hotel Deals forum to the convenient and high-traffic Miles&Points forum.
Old Jan 29, 17, 5:57 am

Programs: UA*G, SK*G
Yes, thank you, good to see the forum back in its old place, easy to find.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: