Wiki Posts
Search

Quality of Articles on Front Page [UPDATE: controlled by Internet Brands]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Quality of Articles on Front Page [UPDATE: controlled by Internet Brands]

I understand that the articles on the front page of Flyertalk are mostly click bait, but sometimes there is interesting content. Is it too much to expect, though, that whomever is posting these sorts of articles on the front page of FlyerTalk to at least get the name of the airline involved correct?

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/vi...ty-couple.html

Virgin Airlines? Is that Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia? Looking at the article, it appears to be Virgin America, but c’mon – this is an airline focused website.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:09 am
Community Director Emerita

I understand your frustration. I've sent a link to this thread to the person at Internet Brands whose team is responsible for the front page of FlyerTalk. I've always found him responsive and this is excellent feedback.

Carol
Community Director
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:27 am
Community Director Emerita

I received this note back:

I'll forward this on and have them update the article. I'll also ask them to clarify Virgin going forward.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:03 am

"How to chat up your flight attendant" (to merge)

Am I the only one who thinks this is an inappropriate blog post? ... flyertalk, it's 2017. People shouldn't be hitting on their cabin crew, they have a job to do. This type of article just encourages the bad behavior which so many of us abhor when we fly. http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/you-can-ring-my-bell-how-to-chat-up-your-flight-attendant.html#comment-12365
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
Am I the only one who thinks this is an inappropriate blog post? ... flyertalk, it's 2017. People shouldn't be hitting on their cabin crew, they have a job to do. This type of article just encourages the bad behavior which so many of us abhor when we fly. http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/yo...#comment-12365
yup, completely appalling.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Amanda, the author of the article, encourages feedback here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...ewed-talk.html
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
Am I the only one who thinks this is an inappropriate blog post? ... flyertalk, it's 2017. People shouldn't be hitting on their cabin crew, they have a job to do. This type of article just encourages the bad behavior which so many of us abhor when we fly. http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/yo...#comment-12365
I don't see any issue with it. It's written by an FA. They still have the same interests as any other person including romance.

That said... very, very few of the front page articles have ever turned out to be more than click bait at best, in my opinion.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't see any issue with it. It's written by an FA. They still have the same interests as any other person including romance.

That said... very, very few of the front page articles have ever turned out to be more than click bait at best, in my opinion.
Aside from the fact that her point of view is wildly inappropriate - the problem is that she's speaking on behalf of an entire industry. FAs are not for passenger entertainment, their job is safety and security. Encouraging people to "ring her bell" is out of line. How would anyone here feel having skeezy people parade through their office hitting on them all day?

Flyertalk should really evaluate their content (and bloggers) better.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I try to avoid ever going to the FT homepage. To me, the forums are what matter.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I try to avoid ever going to the FT homepage. To me, the forums are what matter.
It would be great if there were actually some useful/interesting curated content on the homepage.

Instead we get stuff like this rehash of a Fox News repost of a USA Today repost of 3 month old news:

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/un...-cubicles.html

Honestly, why bother paying somebody to post this stuff?

Greg
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: United MP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
have to say as somebody who doesn't comment often i find almost every time i click on one of the articles on the home page I feel i have wasted my time. Its pretty much never original content and just a rehashed summary of something else directing me away from flyertalk. In addition to that the reporting / writing is pretty bad. I can't really see those articles drawing in readership.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: MUCCI
I think the front page reflects very badly on FT, and the quality of the content inside.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta, United
Kill the front page click bait rehash stories

I often look at the front page as there are often interesting threads that I might not otherwise read.

However, the front page rolling five stories are typically just click bait rehash stories with very little additional information that is not contained in the original story. Often the re-hash is poorly written or not accurate.

Though not one of the rolling five, the story of the PAX with a service animal being asked to leave the airplane. The rehash author calls the service animal a canine helper. What is that? A service animal or a emotional support animal?

My suggestion skip the rehash and just have a link to the original article. That is what is done on similar websites. If it is worthy of a thread then just start one in the appropriate forum which often happens anyway. Or perhaps a new forum "News of the Day" Then people can add comments that do not need to be approved.

Edit to add, I guess I should have looked down the thread list: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...et-brands.html

Similar complaints. Which means the FT board needs to take a serious look at this issue.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 16, 2017 at 11:29 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:25 pm

The home page is really feeble.

Amongst the headlines on the news page - Beyonce's father stranded in the bad weather, and an article about Inmarsat shares jumping 6% "this morning" which turns out to be over a week ago.

Really, Internet Brands can't even gather together a dozen half-sensible, relevant and up to date news articles?

Why not just outsource it to a local college as part of a media course?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Status Free
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Which means the FT board needs to take a serious look at this issue.

Talkboard is no more. The last 2-3 years were little more than infighting and bickering with any flyertalker who dared to post in their public forum.

so, Flyertalk is now run by the Community Director, who, while a great resource, is an IB employee.

Last edited by ediemac1; Mar 20, 2017 at 5:12 am Reason: fixed typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.