Wiki Posts
Search

Omni/PR Purpose

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:43 am
phb
Original Poster

Omni/PR Purpose

Omni/PR seems to have been originally created as a home for political and religious discussion. Over time it has been become a home for anything mildly 'controversial' or for threads that have no logical home. I'm thinking of topics mainly related to the non-prurient discussion of gender and sexuality.

If this is the new reality, perhaps it needs a new name or at least a rewrite of its sticky. Also, if mods are going to arbitrate what is or is not 'controversial' then can we expect guidelines to be made public?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just a reminder to others the (current) stated purposes for the OMNI fora are:

OMNI
OMNI is the place for vibrant dialogue on topics unrelated to miles, points, and travel. It is fascinating reading and provides quite a bit of humor and entertainment.

The "Welcome!" thread contains further guidelines and limitations.

OMNI/PR
Politics and religion are two hot button topics that have earned a special place in the land of OMNI. While passionate debate is encouraged, civility is required.

A Welcome thread exists here, similar to the OMNI one.

OMNI/Games
Meant for games with minimal content that allow rapid fire posting, such as counting threads and giveaways

The primary guidelines that apply to the OMNI fora are the FlyerTalk Rules <link>, though the sticky "Welcome!" Thread also links to another version entitled "Guidelines and Rules".
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is where things get sent from ["good"] OMNI

Originally Posted by phb
I'm thinking of topics mainly related to the non-prurient discussion of gender and sexuality.
can certainly involve politics
identity politics
political correctness and incorrectness
etc
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Regular OMNI is OK but OMNI/PR is a rather disagreeable place and ought to be an embarrassment to FT. It's funny the sticky mentions "civility" but from the times I've ventured in, I'd say the denizens of OMNI/PR must have a very different definition of "civil". For the most part it also seems to be the same fairly small group of people regularly insulting one another...they must enjoy it I guess. (My comments aren't about moderation, just a description of the impression the forum's "atmosphere" gives...just my $.02 FWIW)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 84fiero
the same fairly small group of people regularly insulting one another.
Hey! It's not my fault that everyone in the world who doesn't agree with 100% of my opinions is a low grade mental defective.

Okay, you're right -- there are a lot of insults flung around on Bad Omni. It is especially true during the Silly Season (US presidential elections) a period which now seems to last about two years.

On the other hand, there are some wise, interesting, posts made there (by me) and, to tell the truth, even the worst of the worst doesn't start to compare to what you see in the "Comments" sections of any daily newspaper.

If, as does happen, some very un-PC posts are made by an irredeemable misogynist who crawled out of the bucket of deplorables (again, me) just have fun by sending some zingers my way -- as everyone else does on a regular basis, including close relatives.

Life is much too short to take these things very seriously (especially my life, which most physicians, of every speciality, estimate will end sometime in the next 72 hours).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:41 am
phb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
Hey! It's not my fault that everyone in the world who doesn't agree with 100% of my opinions is a low grade mental defective.

Okay, you're right -- there are a lot of insults flung around on Bad Omni. It is especially true during the Silly Season (US presidential elections) a period which now seems to last about two years.

On the other hand, there are some wise, interesting, posts made there (by me) and, to tell the truth, even the worst of the worst doesn't start to compare to what you see in the "Comments" sections of any daily newspaper.

If, as does happen, some very un-PC posts are made by an irredeemable misogynist who crawled out of the bucket of deplorables (again, me) just have fun by sending some zingers my way -- as everyone else does on a regular basis, including close relatives.

Life is much too short to take these things very seriously (especially my life, which most physicians, of every speciality, estimate will end sometime in the next 72 hours).
Leaving Dovster's self obsessions aside, I would agree with much of this. By the standards of regular FT, /PR could be considered a pretty extreme environment, by the standards of most on-line political and religious discourse it's really quite mild and even respectful.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I don't get how being fat in America, how the stock market, how scoring on a plane all end up being moved to bad omni?

Yeah they went PR but any and I do mean any topic can be made into a direction of PR but sheesh when you want to talk about the stock market and have to go to bad omni thats not right. I'm not going to that cesspool of crap.

I understand all the election stuff which is the bulk of the stuff on the 1st page at least of bad omin. But really, some of the stuff moved there should not be moved to that cesspool of birdcrap.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've been in the Delta, Starwood, and Southwest forums lately and the discourse in all of these is just as disagreeable and nasty as anything posted in OMNI/PR.

Usually these types of posts are made in the spirit of an OP who didn't search hard enough or someone who wants something for free in a way that annoys others, etc.

And then there's Travel Safety and Security, which is quite the sewer.

Quite frankly, I enjoy the level of discourse in PR better -- at least there I expect to be a certain level of contention. It's where I expect people to have manners and be friendly and aren't -- that's where I get bothered.

(And this whole "good" OMNI and "bad" OMNI stuff is just idiotic, IMO.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.