Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W HKG - liars; Suites available but no upgrade; closed pool

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W HKG - liars; Suites available but no upgrade; closed pool

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:15 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by docbert
A little off topic from the original thread, but...

Treating the room as if you were there when you weren't is just asking for abuse. Friend/family/random person off the street could just list you on their reservation and enter your SPG number and not only do they end up with platinum privileges that they doesn't deserve, but it also allows you to collect nights/stays which actually were someone else.

In this case it was clearly not your intent to do that, but how is the hotel to know?
The hotel knows if the person is my immediate family member because he/she needs to provide photo ID in this case passport. And of course, immediate family member will have the same family name and siblings will have similar birth year and parents will have appropriate age gap. Of course, the reservation was made through Platinum Desk and there is a special procedure to do it (or else it won't work). Again, it is only used a handful of times during the years I am platinum member and I think it is an unspoken rule that Your Miles May Vary and you can only use it for immediate family members (not friends).

For the Op expereience, since he is a foreigner, then my theory of local discrimination doesn't apply. Assuming the hotel is not full and suites were availabe, I think it is short-sighted on the hotel part to screw the most loyal customers. Giving the OP a bigger room doesn't cost the hotel much. If they fear there are last minute run-in, they can always promise the Op to give them a big room later in the evening (that's how Vancouver's Starwoood hotels does it).
Old Sep 19, 2009, 1:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The hotel knows if the person is my immediate family member because he/she needs to provide photo ID in this case passport. And of course, immediate family member will have the same family name and siblings will have similar birth year and parents will have appropriate age gap. Of course, the reservation was made through Platinum Desk and there is a special procedure to do it (or else it won't work). Again, it is only used a handful of times during the years I am platinum member and I think it is an unspoken rule that Your Miles May Vary and you can only use it for immediate family members (not friends).
Not sure that this is always true. Sisters, even spouses can have different last names. Also, age differences of 10+ years between siblings are not unheard of. What is an "appropriate age gap" for parents? How do you deal with second marriages and associated name changes? How do you distinguish between sibling and first or second cousins (which can have the same last name)?

On the other side unless you have a very usual last name it is likely that you know people in your age range (+/- 2 years) with the same last name as you, but not related to you. How is the hotel going to know that they are not related?

I think that mtacchi is correct. If "you had 25 different names you're sharing rooms with" you should be flagged for investigation, if you share with the same people over and over again (or your case of only a handful of time over years), it is very likely to be legitimate.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:48 am

A got a few questions for you. Are you Chinese from mainland China? Are you Chinese from Hong Kong? Or are you Chinese expat/caucasian? or any South-east asian race?
The point is this:
Discrimination is alive and well in Hong Kong. The W hotel staff's monthly salary maybe around $HKD 8000 - 10000 and possibly 20 - 30 years old. They couldn't even afford to stay in the hotel at the BAR prices ($HKD 2500/night or 1 week of salary). Then some other local that looks like similar age and seem in same financial status shows up trying to get a night for free, well.. there would be resentment. They sense the failure of themselves when they see you - a guy with same class status but appeared doing way better financially to be able to stay in the hotel (and for free!). This is a growing problem of the gap between rich and poor in pure capitalistic Hong Kong. In my mom's case, it would be culturally unacceptable to propose "I cannot give your son's platinum benifit to you - the mother." If the staff's mother was standing around, it may result in a slap on the staff's face and followed by "give her the best room!" command.

Actually, if you drove in with a Mercades Benz, have a good looking girl next to you (or vice versa). Act as if you were spoiled all your life. Whip out that American Express Platinum card. Dress like you have millions. Ask for the manager (use manager's English first name) and get him to check you in. Tell them to impress you or else you will hit another hotel next time. Then there is a good chance you will get a good upgrade....

Do I ever roll like that? Never. How do I know it works? Daddy and his friends rolled like that when I was a kid and it worked then. It appears the new wave of rude rich Chinese from China also roll like that too. Sad but true.

I love this post. It is so true in HKG and mainland China.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mntblue
I love this post. It is so true in HKG and mainland China.
Actually just having stayed last weekend at the W Hong Kong while the post you reference could make great copy in the National Inquirer I would catagorize it as silly at best (and believe me I am bieng charitable here ) in the context of my experience at this property.

mike
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Thought the W Hong Kong was a very nice property in terms of rooms and pool, but the whole matter of the pool is unacceptable. There is no reason for a public area to be blocked off for a private party during regular hours. The key problem is that the pool is considered a public area when they advertise it on the website as some sort of great facility to use.

This is the typical SPG plan of screw over loyal customers and deny them legitimate benefits. Obviously they have no clue how to train their staff to treat customers, but this is a corporation wide problem.

For the horrible treatment of the OP, I think the only thing SPG can do is give them 2 free stays or 24k points and the desk agent from check-in should be terminated. It also wouldn't be a bad idea for SPG to send the employees termination notice to the OP, if HK labor laws permit.

SPG really needs to get their act together in treating elite customers better. I got so fed up with the crap treatment, I'm now at Hyatt and though they don't give out suites, they have consistent room quality and know how to treat Diamonds.

When they screwed up and gave my suite away they gave me enough points to cover almost 2 nights at the hotel without even prompting when it was a legitimate accident of two guests with the same name.

SPG should either shape up or shut down and I think terminating many of those at the call center would be a good start.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I agree

The point is this:
Discrimination is alive and well in Hong Kong. The W hotel staff's monthly salary maybe around $HKD 8000 - 10000 and possibly 20 - 30 years old. They couldn't even afford to stay in the hotel at the BAR prices ($HKD 2500/night or 1 week of salary). Then some other local that looks like similar age and seem in same financial status shows up trying to get a night for free, well.. there would be resentment. They sense the failure of themselves when they see you - a guy with same class status but appeared doing way better financially to be able to stay in the hotel (and for free!). This is a growing problem of the gap between rich and poor in pure capitalistic Hong Kong. In my mom's case, it would be culturally unacceptable to propose "I cannot give your son's platinum benifit to you - the mother." If the staff's mother was standing around, it may result in a slap on the staff's face and followed by "give her the best room!" command.

Actually, if you drove in with a Mercades Benz, have a good looking girl next to you (or vice versa). Act as if you were spoiled all your life. Whip out that American Express Platinum card. Dress like you have millions. Ask for the manager (use manager's English first name) and get him to check you in. Tell them to impress you or else you will hit another hotel next time. Then there is a good chance you will get a good upgrade....

Do I ever roll like that? Never. How do I know it works? Daddy and his friends rolled like that when I was a kid and it worked then. It appears the new wave of rude rich Chinese from China also roll like that too. Sad but true.
I not Chinese but I have traveled in HKG and Macau for extended stays on many occasions. I have not stayed at the W HKG.

I completely agree with the assertions and observations pointed in the post above. In HKG and now Macau, this is the way things work.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I never liked that property. Staffs were all , but then again, it's HKG, so I didn't expect much in terms of service. My experience with those free weekend nights was abysmal. No upgrades whatsoever

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Switch to Hyatt, where Diamond gets free breakfast (or lounge access), free internet and CONFIRMED suite upgrades 4 times a year. Also 2 x a year, normally there's FFN where you stay twice and get one free night (to be redeemed any time of the week at ANY Hyatt properties)

:-)

SPG Plats supposed suite upgrade benefit just does not work in my opinion. This transparent benefit just makes Plats fuming mad when not given.
I just became a Hyatt Diamond. Hyatt is pretty good so far. I love the free breakfast and internet benefits. BUT, Hyatt just doesn't have any cool properties except for the only 2 Andaz currently open.

Don't get me wrong, Hyatt is a nice hotel, but none of their rooms give that relaxing and luxurious feel like Westin (white tea!) and W (blissy!). The stays I had with Hyatt just made me feel like I was at a hotel. But, the stay at W and Westin made me feel like I was at a spa!

For example, I recently had the opportunity to stay near Jersey City/Hoboken. So, my choices were Hyatt Jersey City or W Hoboken. Hyatt Jersey City wanted $185 while W Hoboken wanted $289. I could use my confirm suite upgrade to get a nice riverfront suite at Hyatt. BUT, I decided against it and went with W Hoboken because the rooms at Hyatt just looked BLEH. I used C+P at the W. Viola, got a riverfront suite anyway and the suite was fantastic as always.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I had a completely different experience at the W HKG. I was there 2 weeks before the OP, and also using my free weekend nights. When I checked in, I didn't even have to ask for the suite, and they had already pre-blocked it for me.

Maybe its just a luck of the draw? Not sure if it matters, but I'm an ABC from the U.S. in my late 20's.

Out of all the W's I've been, the HKG was actually the only one that upgraded me to a suite. All the W's in the states wouldn't or couldn't.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:53 pm

Just seen this cos it's been bumped up, but I checked into the W a (good) few hours before the OP and couldn't fault the place. Also on a free night (new year plat gift), email arrived confirming upgrade to Cool Corner Room in advance and no problem checking in while breakfast still being served, late check out offered at the same time ... staff all friendly and helpful. Only annoyance was the pool closure ... felt it was a bit of a cheek to shut down something that's such an attractive feature in the hotel. Can't speak for the racism, other than to say no one shouted "laowai" at me in HKG ...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonecrusher
THEN I start the nuclear option:
"Do you think you are dealing with a f*%$*n amateur?"
"Do you think I haven't heard your bs before?"
Sincerely hope that after you used the language posted above ( and I have no doubt that may very well have been the case) the property in question pointed your boorish self to the door.

mike
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:28 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I stayed at the W Hotel Hong kong for the first time. I wrote my review on the W Hong Kong master thread.

To prevent what the OP had gone through, I bascially lay it to the manager. I emailed him from my governmeng email account. Told him I am here to evalute his hotel and to report back to my other department heads - which is partly true since bad hotels get black-listed. I told him to impress me with everything you got or else we will continue with our business with Sharaton since they offer cheaper rates.

I got an email within 24 hours to confirm that an Spectacular Suite upgrade was confirmed. It was 1 week before my arrival. I read on the other thread saying this is highest possible suite they can give me as Platinum member. Since the pool would be closed by the time I arrive, a private tour can be arranged to see the pool after hours if I want. (I didn't take that offer but did a peek at the top floor - the pool was closed but wonderful).

I arrived and had a friend (who is a girl) with me. I definately don't look like a million dollars but definately looked as if I came off a plane - which I was off a plane. The staff seem fine as there was a note from the manager on my file (don't know what it says). I notice the check in clerk on purposely come out from the back desk (he didn't for the previous customer), held the check in card with both hands, bowed 15 degrees and gave me the card to welcome me. In Chinese culture, this means you are a very very very important guest. It felt a little arificual and I was very embaressed since that guy was about the same age so I just instictly bow back and accept the card with both hands - like proper manners... which is a little over the top and a little weird. I felt as if I was seeing my elders.... While he is so concerned about showing deference, he forgot my Platinum Welcome Kit... (sounds like something that I would do if I was him). I just smiled and told him (in the same peer level) that to credit me those 500 points.

In my hotel room, I got two different hand written cards. One for the hotel manager. The other the general manager of customer service? They did put in effort.

Last edited by yeunganson; Oct 22, 2009 at 3:27 am
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:47 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by bschaff1
SPG should either shape up or shut down and I think terminating many of those at the call center would be a good start.
I believe it would be more useful if you avoid using words with such negativity and provide examples in which you are badly treated. Just my honest opinion because you took such great pains to write a long post.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:20 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Actually just having stayed last weekend at the W Hong Kong while the post you reference could make great copy in the National Inquirer I would catagorize it as silly at best (and believe me I am bieng charitable here ) in the context of my experience at this property.

mike
I am not sure which part you find it silly. The part of that hotel staff gets jelous of guests in similar ethnic race able to afford the hotel? Or the rich and poor gap in Hong Kong?

There is an article on this with Business Week
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...-rich-and-poor

Hong Kong's rich and poor gap is among the worst in the world. Followed by Singapore in No 2 and USA at number 3.

The front desk staff makes between $HK 10000 - $HK15000 (USD 1290 - USD 1935) per month. These staff is afterall human. It is not a stretch for some of them to have resentment towards someone in similar social status staying in such expensive hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:52 am
Suspended

I am not sure which part you find it silly. The part of that hotel staff gets jelous of guests in similar ethnic race able to afford the hotel? Or the rich and poor gap in Hong Kong?

There is an article on this with Business Week
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...-rich-and-poor

Hong Kong's rich and poor gap is among the worst in the world. Followed by Singapore in No 2 and USA at number 3.

The front desk staff makes between $HK 10000 - $HK15000 (USD 1290 - USD 1935) per month. These staff is afterall human. It is not a stretch for some of them to have resentment towards someone in similar social status staying in such expensive hotel.
I find quite interesting that you keep harping on the subject. With the possible exception of North America, Europe, Japan and Australia
the economic situation of the visiting guests is often far superior to that of the hotel staff .... thats nothing new.

Unless the intention of your post is make Chinese Ftalkers be aware of the slight you perceive that MIGHT be directed at ethic Chinese guests (and surely by your reasoning must exist al ALL hotels in Hong Kong) ....your observations are really not relevant to the topic at hand .....upgrades for Platinum guests at the SPG W Hong Kong (lest we forget)
and IMHO seems reflect some insecurity on your part.

mike
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by 98103
I hope the OP survives his weekend in an inferior room, but I'm still trying to figure out why, if they wanted a suite, did not BOOK a suite? When one does that, the front desk clerk can't lie and say they're not available.
The most VIP benefit of SPG Plat is that you can have a suite if available, when you have booked a room or even on an award stay. What is the point of PLAT if you dont get to have the benefit?

I am 3 stays away from PLAT and this type of thread concerns me. Is it really worth it for me to pay $245+ per night in SYD to get my last 3 stays, if you have to fight and check up on the hotel to even get a suite for each stay when you are PLAT?

Sure you may not get a suite every time if there are sold out situations or they are genuinely not available on the night you check in because they are booked, but come on, the OP saw inventory and he called and was told there was suite inventory. Give him/her a break - he should have gotten the suite from the outset IMHO, without all the funny business from the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.