Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Rooms are held until check-out time the day following arrival or not?

Rooms are held until check-out time the day following arrival or not?

Old Sep 16, 09, 10:25 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
It makes sense that a prepaid room is guaranteed to be valid until check-out time (after all, the hotel has already collected payment for it), but it seems that a hotel can downgrade the room type you've paid for or cancel your reservation if you don't show up or call by 3 am or so. Don't the reports in this thread conflict with the official policy that you state?
I have just confirmed with my colleagues and as long as the room is guaranteed with a valid CC or based on a pre-paid reservation, the property should not release the room or cancel the reservation before official check-out time and even worse, offer a room of a lower category than that being purchased.

Thus, members should be encouraged to ring up Corporate care especially when there is a guarantee clause applied to the stay.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Sep 17, 09, 12:04 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Most of my flights are red-eye flights from Honolulu to the West Coast - I always make it a practice to call the hotel early evening on the day I fly - after the check-in rush - to check me in over the phone so I don't lose my room - I'm often pre-upgraded and I've always kept my upgrade with this strategy when checking in at 6:00am.
Old Sep 17, 09, 1:11 am

Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II View Post
I have just confirmed with my colleagues and as long as the room is guaranteed with a valid CC or based on a pre-paid reservation, the property should not release the room or cancel the reservation before official check-out time and even worse, offer a room of a lower category than that being purchased.

Thus, members should be encouraged to ring up Corporate care especially when there is a guarantee clause applied to the stay.
Thanks, Lurker II. I'm glad to hear that this is how it is supposed to work. (Although I'd be happier to hear that is how it works in practice. ) At least the policy can allow for some redress when a hotel cancels a guaranteed reservation. Based on the reports here, it seems like it is still a good idea to ring the hotel to advise of a late-night check-in, just to be safe(r).
Old Sep 17, 09, 1:56 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
Thanks, Lurker II. I'm glad to hear that this is how it is supposed to work. (Although I'd be happier to hear that is how it works in practice. ) At least the policy can allow for some redress when a hotel cancels a guaranteed reservation. Based on the reports here, it seems like it is still a good idea to ring the hotel to advise of a late-night check-in, just to be safe(r).
No worries. We do know that some of the night auditors love to use their "itchy trigger fingers" (from William:P) to cancel the reservation. Maybe they have not mastered the skill of dozing-while-clicking-their-mouse yet. :P

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Search this Thread
Search Engine: