Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Heathrow versus Sheraton Skyline 2001-2007 [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Heathrow versus Sheraton Skyline 2001-2007 [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
After spending a night at the Sheraton Heathrow last week, I can strongly suggest sleeping at the airport. It was horrible. Rooms were dirty. The hotel is under construction. My first 2 keys didn't work and of course it was because I don't know how to use it (when it was really a broken lock on the door), small rooms, expensive WiFi, long check in lines, and a less then friendly staff. Oh yeah, the "local" gift was gummi bears from the freakin minibar (was told it was something else)!!!! Sheraton promise seems to be nothing more than a lie there.

As to your second question about walking to a restaurant, I believe there's a McDonald's at the gas station across the street.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
The Sheraton Heathrow was the single worst experience at SW we have had to date. I was Gold at the time, they definitely did not give us a room that looked like the pictures on the website. If that room exists, and I question whether it does, it is the only renovated room in the place. The room we were in was filthy, totally worn and about 5 miles from the lobby. We received no help with our bags, were looked at like we were crazy when we asked for help and got some serious attitude when we called the front desk to inquire about a more acceptable room. There must be another hotel in the area that will treat you better...

This place is a dump. Looking back now I cannot believe I stood for it. I have since stayed in far better SW properties which nonetheless were not acceptable and asked for (and received) either a night of points or a refund.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, Marriott Titanium & LT Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Wow, you and BigBopper have most definitely persuaded me to stay clear of the Sheraton Heathrow. You're right, the website makes it look much better. So thanks so much for the very useful advice.

Anyone out there stayed at the Sheraton Skyline???

I have stayed at both the Sheraton Heathrow in January and the Sheraton Skyline a couple of weeks ago. The Skyline is a nicer hotel, but beware of the big "Bombay Nights" party on Friday nights in the atrium. I didn't have any problems, but if have heard horror stories about partying kids running up and down the corridors banging on the doors. Another downside of both these hotels is that the bus takes a while to go around the terminals. It took me 45 minutes to get to T3. I have heard people say it's quicker (though more expensive) to stay near Paddington and take the Heathrow Express (15 mins)
Old Oct 6, 2005, 3:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
I've stayed at both and far prefer the Skyline. Although it can get a bit crazy on weekend nights, I've never had a problem. The healthclub and pool there are also relatively nice and the restaurant, although overpriced airport hotel food, is fairly decent; on a couple of occasions I've actually had very nice meals there. Or there are two other hotels (non-Starwood) right there that also have decent restaurant options.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA (1k) lifetime gold, AA (EP), Starwood (Life Plat), Hilton (Gold)
I've stayed at both. The Sheraton Heathrow IS the worst Sheraton I've stayed at in Europe. I was at the Skyline last week, lite years ahead of the Heathrow. The food at the sportsbar in the Skyline is not good. There is a traditional pub around the corner which is walkable and a lot cheaper. They can tell you where it is at the desk.

Also, make sure you know which terminal your airline departs from. The desk at the Skyline gave me the wrong information in the past causing a huge pain trying to haul luggage through the terminals.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 2:01 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have posted on these hotels as well. The skyline is fine the other a total dump. I also found the restarant at the skyline to be quite good. As mentioned Friday night can get a bit hectic.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I regularly stay at both properties. The Skyline is worth the difference in price. OTOH, when I just need to sleep before a meeting or a connecting flight, the Sheraton Heathrow is OK and I have always had renovated rooms as a Plat.

Personally, I would take a bus from the central station to the Skyline. There is a stop at the Marriott which is next door to the Skyline, so you do not have to walk too much. There are many more buses which stop at the Marriott than there are Hoppa and I am getting very annoyed with the extortionate price in correlation with the 45mn it usually takes me to ride the Hoppa to any hotel. Getting back to the terminal from the Skyline, you need to walk to the traffic light, cross the dual carriageway and get back in front of the Skyline. So when it is raining, I would take the Hoppa back to the terminal.

Last edited by JOUY31; Sep 25, 2006 at 9:16 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:05 pm

Agreed

Originally Posted by BigBopper
After spending a night at the Sheraton Heathrow last week, I can strongly suggest sleeping at the airport. It was horrible. Rooms were dirty. The hotel is under construction. My first 2 keys didn't work and of course it was because I don't know how to use it (when it was really a broken lock on the door), small rooms, expensive WiFi, long check in lines, and a less then friendly staff. Oh yeah, the "local" gift was gummi bears from the freakin minibar (was told it was something else)!!!! Sheraton promise seems to be nothing more than a lie there.

As to your second question about walking to a restaurant, I believe there's a McDonald's at the gas station across the street.
Avoid this hotel at all costs! As a plat, I was not upgraded and got one of the dirtiest, nastiest rooms I have ever stayed in.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
i stayed at the skyline some months ago and it was fine. i was only there for about 6 hours or so. i'm plat but did not get an upgrade. not a big deal though of course with such a short visit. i think if you do find the other threads on FT about these properties, you may come across the name and email address for the manager at skyline. he is a member of FT i believe.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Gold
Smile

My husband & I just returned from a trip to Europe. Based on all of the negative comments re the Sheraton Heathrow, where we had booked an award stay for the last night of our trip, we switched to the Skyline, which turned out to be great. I'm gold and supposedly received an upgrade on an award stay, although I couldn't see much of a difference between what we received and the picture on the hotel's website. It was a very large room on the 2nd floor with 2 queen sleigh beds. Very clean, very quiet, very nice. We had an amazingly good room service dinner. And our experience with the Hotel Hoppa was very good, although maybe not typical. We arrived on Aer Lingus, which was the last stop for the H3 bus, the one that services the Radisson, Marriott, and Skyline. It took probably less than 15 min to get to the hotel, and about the same amount of time the next day to go to terminal 3. All in all a very positive experience. Oh, and they also had a dedicated check-in line for SPG gold & platinum members. Thanks to everyone who warned me not to stay at the Heathrow!
Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by the phoenix
wow, wqith so many bad reviews, why dont the hotel do something about it? surely you have all raised concern, right?
Some of us like the Sheraton Heathrow, have had perfectly nice stays there and in fact think it is one of the better hotels at LHR. Some of the rooms there are dismal (I would guess 20%), the rest are quite nice. As a Platinum I am guaranteed a decent room and I prefer it over the Skyline (which has its own set of problems). Those without status would have to be careful to book a renovated room. But overall the hotel is fairly well run and doesn't have any more problems than any other airport hotel. You'd never know that from some of the comments on FT.

Last edited by number_6; Oct 19, 2005 at 12:51 pm
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:38 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I agree with the previous poster. I've stayed at both properties many times, and for my money, Sheraton Heathrow wins.

As a Platinum, I've always had a renovated room (which I prefer to the rooms at the Skyline), and the difference in price seals the deal.

My only complaint about the Sheraton Heathrow is that it's a pretty soul-less place, but that's par for the course with an airport hotel.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll just chime in with some of the other posters in this thread in that I've stayed at the Sheraton Heathrow many times (and will again next month) and I've had very good stays in very nice (if smallish) rooms.

My first couple of stays years ago were not really very good due to the older rooms mainly, but my stays the last year and half have been very good with nice renovated rooms. I've seen marked improvement at this hotel over the years and actually feel very comfortable booking into this property now. Just fine for an airport hotel.

As a Platinum, your Suite upgrade chances are probably better over at the Sheraton Skyline, but then again you're usually going to be paying more to stay there as well.

I might as well re-post the following reviews here that I seem to re-post in every thread on this hotel (including, the phoenix...a comment on the Hilton in the first one, that I posted at that time):

Here's my report on the Sheraton Heathrow from last night's stay...

Arrived also with a Smart room booked and found I had been upgraded to one of the not-so-smart but recently renovated Executive rooms. I inquired as to a suite upgrade and was advised the hotel was full and there were no suites to be had.

Room was new and had the great new bed, and there was a very slight smell of new-ness in the air, but I think the varnish and glue vapors must be dissipating, as it was hardly noticeable to me. Multi-voltage outlets in my room worked just fine and plugged my U.S. 110s right in and revved 'em up, no problem.

The marble bathroom was rather nice considering it's small size.

Room was very nice though, miles better than the plastic vacuformed things they have at the Hilton Heathrow.

Front desk was a bit cold though efficient. No mention of my Platinum status and the room had 2 bottles of water and a small box of chocolates already in it when I opened the door, but I'm not certain this was my Platinum amenity or not. Only card was the Manager's business card, unmarked. It might have just been a standard "Executive Room" amenity.

Room 1312 photos:

http://members.aol.com/premexfiles/sherLHR1312.jpg
And

While checking in at the Sheraton Heathrow this past Friday, I found I had been upgraded in advance to a Suite. However the Suite was not within range of the T-Mobile Wi-Fi service, so I requested an Executive Room, as they are on the ground floor and are the only rooms that feature the Wi-Fi service.

However, they didn't have any to put me in as they were sold out of Executive Rooms. When I pressed if there might be any type of room where the Wi-Fi might reach into, she typed a bit and then offered me a brand new Executive Room that had yet to see it's first guest. She said the hallway corridor was still full of construction equipment, but they wouldn't be working this weekend, and she had seen the room just that day and said it looked complete, had the Wi-Fi, so would I like it? Sure, I replied.

Very nice. In the 1200 wing. First room in the corridor. Much like the recently refurbished Executive Rooms in the 1300 wing. Only difference in the bedroom portion I could see was the absence of an in-room safe. The big difference is in the bathroom. Much nicer than the other Executive Room wing, IMHO. Same size, but instead of all marble, it's a mix of woods and marble. Very nice. Has lots of little corner shelves to put stuff on. Piped in music control. But the biggest difference is the shower tub combo. Extra large tub that has plenty of room to stretch out in if you wish to soak.

The only refurb-incomplete item in this room was the air heater. They didn't have the heat turned on in this wing yet. But a call down to the desk brought a maintenance man with a space heater in hand, and that worked just fine. He was a bit surprised to see a guest in this wing, he said. Other than that, and the construction stuff out in the hall, it was a fine stay in a nice brand new room.

Room 1219 photos:

http://members.aol.com/premexfiles/sherLHR1219.jpg
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I love the Sheraton LHR too. I especially love the dinner buffet deal. For 14.25, you get all you can eat (I like to eat) and the food is pretty darn good. Plus as Platinum you get a free bottle of wine, so it's easily the cheapest quality dinner at LHR.

Also, I generally take the Hopper to the hotel since I'm not under any kind of time crunch. But I always take a private car from the hotel back to the airport since time is of the essence. It's never more than 8 pounds even to T4 IME.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks for your tips, everyone.

FYI, the free city buses that drop you off at the Skyline are 105, 111, and 140. 140 leaves T2 central bus terminal out of dock 19. 140 is the one that operates 24/7. Now only if the tube ran later than a measly 1am

Also, I have now stayed at both airport Sheratons. The Heathrow was alright as I got one of the newly renovated rooms but the room was damn small. The Skyline, which I stayed at last weekend upgraded me to the Edinburgh Suite! It's one of the corner suites on the 3rd floor and connects to two adjoining standard rooms (where I was given one connecting room, but no complaints here!). The main suite room has a full kitchen and a very nice murphy bed. Very large dining and living room areas as well. Overall, an excellent stay. Warning though that the room does look over the central pool area where the Friday night party occurs (I'd take the room upgrade over the noise though ).

Hands down non-issue. Skyline wins over Heathrow in my books.

Also, there's a McDonald's about a five minute walk down the road from the Skyline.
Walking through the long-a$$ tunnel is possible but I would not recommend it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.