Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2009 SPG Promotional Opportunity for Gold and Platinum Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 SPG Promotional Opportunity for Gold and Platinum Members

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:47 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Wow, I did not expect you would make W count offer this year. Some of my friends would be really happy about the news. I have already completed 27 stays and will probably make more than 25 stays next year anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG PLAT, Hyatt Diamond, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by vandalby
Note to Starwood: Maybe it's time to start thinking about a status tiering system with a revenue component?!?!
That would be the right way to go !

And please Starwood: consider to copy the Hyatt suite-upgrade system.
It so nice to have those vouchers and use them when really needed.
My experience with the SPG upgrades: I get them when I dont need them
(like a 10 hours stay at some airport Hotel) and wont when I need them (few days stay with my family).
I am willing to change those unpredictable SPG-upgrades for a few vouchers
instead (should be applicable for award stay as well)
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:58 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic promo with the advance nights. I absolutely love the idea of starting the run at qualification next year. Isn't logging on to SPG on Jan 1 and seeing 0 Nights, 0 Stays just the worst?

So, I'll definitely be making a run in Q4 to pick up as many nights / stays as I can...

...and they will be paid for using my client's dirty, ill-gotten money. Sorry to those posters that are taking flak for being heavy business travelers; I think that statements that we're the ones that truly 'earn it' are right on. For those of you that are new posters and feeling attacked - please stick around as this forum is desperately in need of some new blood.

I really find it troubling that those of you that are earning Platinum by spending 3 grand a year while sitting around the pool have this holier than thou attitude of who 'earned' their status. So, don't worry about those business travelers stealing your Platinum suite upgrade on your Saturday night stay at the Sheraton out by the Applebees; we're most likely at home, enjoying some well earned time with family and friends.

Note to Starwood: Maybe it's time to start thinking about a status tiering system with a revenue component?!?!
Bro I'm only speaking for myself, but my issue isn't that business travelers take upgrades or I'm better. It is the fact that for 100% leisure travelers these promos put higher status within reach for without them the cost and or time outlay is too great. Our jobs don't allow us to earn status on airline and hotel loyalty programs complimentary of our employers as biz travelers get to experience.

Thus my issue is when a BIZ traveler complains that these promos allow leisure travelers (who are paying their own dimes) to reach the higher status. The claim it dilutes "their" status and as a result they will miss out on UG to us "LITE" elites.

Bottom line the airlines/hotels wouldn't have these promos if the Biz/leisure travelers were making them enough profits not to have to use promos. Thus we are all playing by the same rules and they aren't being manipulated by anything other than the airline/hotels need to make more money.

We are in a desperate economy where every business is struggling to make money and offering promotions is their business model to survive in the short term. Deal with it and stop complaining already.

Holding the hand rail now stepping down off of my soapbox.

Last edited by schley; Sep 4, 2009 at 3:06 am
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:08 am

There's nothing new with people making status dilution comments on FT either. I've been reading those comments since I joined FT.

Most programs give status away and most programs have some sort of fast-track promotion, either permanently or from time to time. There are always going to be people on FT that complain about it.

The best thing to do is to ignore it. There's no winners in that discussion, and all it does is pollute other perfectly good threads.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 4, 2009 at 3:15 am
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:26 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Believe me, we tried over and over again in that other thread.

-David
It's ok Mr. David.

I will answer it again and again. I do not mind doing that. I apologize for the confusion caused but there are so many scenarios involved thus explanation may not be as clear as it should be.

Let me answer it on this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...rements-6.html

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:42 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by schley
Bro I'm only speaking for myself, but my issue isn't that business travelers take upgrades or I'm better. It is the fact that for 100% leisure travelers these promos put higher status within reach for without them the cost and or time outlay is too great. Our jobs don't allow us to earn status on airline and hotel loyalty programs complimentary of our employers as biz travelers get to experience.

Thus my issue is when a BIZ traveler complains that these promos allow leisure travelers (who are paying their own dimes) to reach the higher status. The claim it dilutes "their" status and as a result they will miss out on UG to us "LITE" elites.

Bottom line the airlines/hotels wouldn't have these promos if the Biz/leisure travelers were making them enough profits not to have to use promos. Thus we are all playing by the same rules and they aren't being manipulated by anything other than the airline/hotels need to make more money.

We are in a desperate economy where every business is struggling to make money and offering promotions is their business model to survive in the short term. Deal with it and stop complaining already.

Holding the hand rail now stepping down off of my soapbox.
schley, I'm absolutely with you and LIH Prem regarding the commentary on dilution. First of all, William has said it clearly before that past promotions have not had a tangible impact on the number of Platinums. Now, we haven't seen a promo such as the Advance Nights before, but I have to think that economic conditions have taken a pretty good cut at the role of SPG elites.

Second, let's face it, the only time that Platinum members are really in 'competition' with each other is for upgrade space. I think that a biz traveler claiming that this (or other) promotions will dilute the program with leisure travelers is bunk for the exact reason that I implied in my post. Biz and leisure travelers don't truly compete for the only Platinum benefit that is in limited supply (upgrades) because we don't stay at properties at the same time. (I know there will be some howling about vacations and that's the only time upgrades matter - but as others have said, if you absolutely need it, book it.)

I do think that SPG creates promos with the intent to lure in the more lucrative business traveler. That being said, there shouldn't be any issue or 'put down' with leisure travelers taking advantage and going for status. As you aptly stated, we're all playing under the same rules and there obviously isn't enough business travel to keep SPG, other hotels and airlines (see AA, UA promos) from doing what they need to do to attract those that are traveling.

My post was more directed toward those saying that business travelers don't earn it because it's not 'out of pocket money'. That's trash; and embarassingly naive. We earn it in ways that the leisure only traveler can't understand.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:57 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
My post was more directed toward those saying that business travelers don't earn it because it's not 'out of pocket money'. That's trash; and embarassingly naive. We earn it in ways that the leisure only traveler can't understand.
Hit the nail on the head with that comment, thanks ^
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:11 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I certainly think Biz travelers earn it! They may not pay for it, but they do earn it. I wouldn't want to be in a hotel 100 nights a year or more.

I agree with you, I simply don't want Biz travelers saying "lite" elites don't belong at their level, for whatever reason.

The purpose of this board is for everyone to share and help each other with information. Bickering about whether promos should or shouldn't have been offered leaves no winners.

Safe travels.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by schley
I agree with you, I simply don't want Biz travelers saying "lite" elites don't belong at their level, for whatever reason.
Don't worry what anybody else thinks. If you earned status, you deserve it. If you were given status, you deserved it. Regardless of what anybody else thinks, or if promos were used or whatever. And that goes both ways.

The purpose of this board is for everyone to share and help each other with information. Bickering about whether promos should or shouldn't have been offered leaves no winners.
^^^

-David
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:56 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
definition of status : "the position of an individual in relation to another or others, esp. in regard to social or professional standing."
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:20 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
This is a great promotion, and thanks, Starwood Lurker, for the heads-up.

I am especially thrilled, because, although I was going to re-qualify for Platinum anyway, over 30 of those nights will be between 10/01 and 12/31. So I will already almost be to Platinum for 2011, too.

I am sympathetic to the argument that this will dilute the value of Platinum status, but, we have to keep in mind that Starwood offers promotions like this in response to the poor economy, so that there will still probably fewer Platinums in 2010 than in 2009 anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by nicypp1
wowow, this promo is nice ^^^
I will re-qualify for Plat anyway this year, but wasnt so sure I will be able to do same next year. Consequently I booked my late december stays with Hyatt
which I will now cancel and go for *wood. Well done, thats the way to keep me.

My only worry now what shall I do with the 4 guaranteed-suite upgrades I still keep with Hyatt. I will not re-qualify for Diamond :-( and have to use them until Feb/2010.
I'm in exactly the same situation as you are. Hyatt just doesn't have enough hotels in Germany and Europe to make it, unless you constantly have to go to Berlin or Cologne all the time. They should offer some challenges to people to enable them to keep status. Starwood is smart by doing what they do, Hyatt is going to lose out on business in Europe if they don't react.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Great promotion! Thanks Starwood. I'm only at 16 stays so far this year, so need 9 more to requalify for Platinum.

I was hoping to wait until Nov 30 to decide which promo would be best for me, as I don't know what my fall travel will be like, however, I noticed there is a huge difference between the 2 promos:

Nights Advance

Will I earn for nights and stays that post to my account prior to the registration date?
As long as you register by November 30, 2009, all eligible nights and stays earned during the promotion period, October 1 through December 31, 2009, will count toward the nights advance promotion. ^

Nights Count Double

Are nights/stays that are posted to an account prior to registration counted as double?
Only stays and nights posted to an account after a member is registered are doubled.

So it looks like I have to decide before my first stay! Too bad.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Great promotion! Thanks Starwood. I'm only at 16 stays so far this year, so need 9 more to requalify for Platinum.

I was hoping to wait until Nov 30 to decide which promo would be best for me, as I don't know what my fall travel will be like, however, I noticed there is a huge difference between the 2 promos:

Nights Advance

Will I earn for nights and stays that post to my account prior to the registration date?
As long as you register by November 30, 2009, all eligible nights and stays earned during the promotion period, October 1 through December 31, 2009, will count toward the nights advance promotion. ^

Nights Count Double

Are nights/stays that are posted to an account prior to registration counted as double?
Only stays and nights posted to an account after a member is registered are doubled.

So it looks like I have to decide before my first stay! Too bad.
Thanks for pointing this out margarita girl, I might have missed it and it makes my decision very easy.^ Gotta go "Count Double" - I'll worry about next year, next year.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Thanks SPG! I just wish the stays in September had been counted towards 2010 too. Oh well...can't have everything....but I can wish for it. (or at least whine about it )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.