FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   UPDATE: Lounge access now gtd for plats at Le Meridien as well as Sheraton/Westin (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/991309-update-lounge-access-now-gtd-plats-le-meridien-well-sheraton-westin.html)

Football Fan Sep 3, 2009 2:34 am

UPDATE: Lounge access now gtd for plats at Le Meridien as well as Sheraton/Westin

Is there some "historical" reason for this? Trying to understand the rationale behind it. It makes the whole program somewhat inconsistent, I think, and creates confusion. Why does SPG not harmonize this benefit across all brands?

Based on Guava's thread about his experience at the LM St. Julians, would this be correct:

Westin/Sheraton: always lounge access for plats
All other brands: no lounge access based on status, but if you get upgraded to a club level/executive floor room or a suite, then the free lounge access comes as a consequence of the room, not of your status. Plats have a "right" to be upgraded to such rooms (and consequently the lounge access) as long as they are available, up to select standard suites. Golds do not have this "right", but if they get upgraded to such a room, then they (or even non-status members who get upgraded to such a room) have to get lounge access as well.

Open question for me: Do suites always include lounge access? Is this something one should be able to "rely" on? Would seem logical to me, as a suite is an upgrade "above" the club floor, and the club floor would always include the lounge access.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

/mod

Ts and Cs have been updated to include Le Meridien lounges. Note language here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12352152-post29.html

/mod

RAPC Sep 3, 2009 3:06 am

Originally Posted by attorney28 (Post 12324566)

Westin/Sheraton: always lounge access for golds/plats

Only lounge access for Plats in this example. All other guests including SPG Gold would get access if upgraded or paying for a room with access included.

Football Fan Sep 3, 2009 3:14 am

Originally Posted by RAPC (Post 12324631)
Only lounge access for Plats in this example. All other guests including SPG Gold would get access if upgraded or paying for a room with access included.

Ooops, my bad, thanks - I'll edit the original post.

TRAVELSIG Sep 3, 2009 3:16 am

Originally Posted by attorney28 (Post 12324566)
Open question for me: Do suites always include lounge access? Is this something one should be able to "rely" on? Would seem logical to me, as a suite is an upgrade "above" the club floor, and the club floor would always include the lounge access.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

In my experience- No.

Guava Sep 3, 2009 5:45 am

In my experience, Suites don't always come with Lounge Access but they often do, just not always. It really depends on the property in question and what Suites they upgrade you. This will vary from property to property and sometimes from rooms to rooms. The SPG policy I relied on is supported by the fact my check-in card clearly stated that the room type I agreed to. Once I signed that thing, which I did, it confirmed the type of agreement I had with the hotel so if they try to downgrade me to circumvent the rule, it would be problematic for them as I could argue to SPG that the hotel is breaking the contract we signed and they need to compensate me for the damages, including but not limited to reimbursment.

Eastside Sep 3, 2009 6:51 am

Not only Sheraton and Westin for Plat.:

How do I achieve the elite status of Platinum Preferred Guest® member?
Becoming a Platinum Preferred Guest member requires 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible room nights in a calendar
year. Not only do Platinum Preferred Guest members receive all the benefits of a Gold Preferred Guest member,
they can also take advantage of additional privileges such as automatic upgrades to our best available guest room –
including standard suites – at time of check-in for the entire stay and complimentary access to the hotel gym. At Le
Méridien, Westin and Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, members can also take advantage of complimentary access to the Executive and Club Level floors.

Additionally, our signature Platinum ConciergeSM provides members with access to an extraordinary range of services with one simple phone call. Members can make reservations, secure upgrades and redeem awards, book opera tickets or even find a babysitter with this exclusive service.

Look FAQ: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...language=en_US

DCF Sep 3, 2009 7:44 am

More to the point, why are some Westins allowed to flout the rules?

I stayed at the despicable Westin Moana Surfrider one year ago, where as a Plat I was refused lounge access "because it is not called the Westin lounge, it is called The Memories Lounge".

Consequently none of my four upcoming Waikiki stays are at that property. They show no loyalty to platinums, so this Platinum shows no loyalty to them.

BlissWorld Sep 3, 2009 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Eastside (Post 12325187)
... At Le Méridien, Westin and Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, members can also take advantage of complimentary access to the Executive and Club Level floors...

The Le Meridien part is definitely new and is not yet updated in the SPG T&C. However, this webpage would be a great place to point to if a property failed to comply ^

sbtinme Sep 3, 2009 8:42 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 12325571)
The Le Meridien part is definitely new and is not yet updated in the SPG T&C. However, this webpage would be a great place to point to if a property failed to comply ^

I thought I remembered that something like 2 years ago (give or take), William posted here on FT that the corporate branding decision had been reached to include LeMeridien "Le Club" lounges as a standard, global Platinum guest inclusion.

Did I dream that up? I didn't realize that this was still an issue ... are there LM lounges out there refusing access to Plats?

:confused::confused:

KENNECTED Sep 3, 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by sbtinme (Post 12325738)
I thought I remembered that something like 2 years ago (give or take), William posted here on FT that the corporate branding decision had been reached to include LeMeridien "Le Club" lounges as a standard, global Platinum guest inclusion.

Did I dream that up? I didn't realize that this was still an issue ... are there LM lounges out there refusing access to Plats?

I don't remember that. :confused:

I was going to post threads, which include post by William, but to lazy. If the OP would do a search for "lounges", "executive" and/or "club" there is a lot of discussion on this very subject.

Starwood Lurker Sep 3, 2009 10:10 am

Originally Posted by sbtinme (Post 12325738)

You have a pretty good memory. ;)

Complimentary lounge access, where available, for Platinum members at Le Meridien hotels and resorts is mentioned on page 14 of the 2009 Starwood Preferred Guest Program Guide.

The marketing gurus have been advised that it is missing from certain vital parts of the web site.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

sbtinme Sep 3, 2009 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 12326262)
You have a pretty good memory. ;)

That confirms the theory that, about every 24 months or so, I'm good for something! The other 23 months and 29 days, not so much.

:cool::D;)

boifromtroy Sep 3, 2009 10:33 am

A good place to start updating would be on the Platinium Benefits page on the website!

So this means I will get lounge access at LM Picadilly once I become a Plat?

Life_Platinum Sep 3, 2009 11:10 am

I would like to return to Attorney28's original point about the inconsistencies in Starwood Properties, and point out that not all Sheratons, Westins, and LM have access for SPG Platinums, as some of these hotels do not have lounges. The Westin Chicago, Westin Portland, Westin Excelsior Roma, Sheraton Bahamas and the LM Sunny Isles Beach do not have lounges. In contrast the St. Regis Shanghai and the Luxury Collection's Nines in Portland do have lounges that have offered me as a Platinum admission.

Bottom line is that I am never sure if one of the SPG properties has or does not have a lounge.

Magic Pickles Sep 3, 2009 11:26 am

Originally Posted by boifromtroy (Post 12326402)
A good place to start updating would be on the Platinium Benefits page on the website!

So this means I will get lounge access at LM Picadilly once I become a Plat?

Yes, I was upgraded on a free night to a huge suite and was granted lounge access which is on the mezzanine level. It was excellent with free wine, beer and liquor, freshly carved meats, breads, and appetizers. Keep in mind that many rooms are not renovated due to the recession so be sure to inquire at the desk.