Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

UPDATE: Lounge access now gtd for plats at Le Meridien as well as Sheraton/Westin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UPDATE: Lounge access now gtd for plats at Le Meridien as well as Sheraton/Westin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum

Bottom line is that I am never sure if one of the SPG properties has or does not have a lounge.
Nor can you be, looking strictly at brand: Lurker has explained that lounges are not part of Sheraton and Westin brand standards.

It is no different from wisely checking to see the property has a heated pool, when traveling with children.

The OP's logic is inverted. Lounge access is not restricted, it is granted. It is granted by paying a qualifying rate. It is granted as an SPG elite benefit at Sheraton/Westin/LeMeridien. Sometimes it's granted by properties that think there's a business case for broader access - but which can change policy at any moment. Lounge access has a cost: opportunity cost for space, staff, consumables. Do guests routinely ask why they're asked to pay for phone charges, spa treatements, or laundry?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP's logic is inverted. Lounge access is not restricted, it is granted.
Can you point me to where I would have said that lounge access is "restricted", not "granted"?

It is granted by paying a qualifying rate.
Or by being in a room where lounge access comes as an accessory to the room type, at least this is what I take from William's reply.

Sometimes it's granted by properties that think there's a business case for broader access - but which can change policy at any moment.
This was not the question. They can change policy with regard to Gold members, but if they upgrade to a room where lounge access is an accessory on a paid rate, according to the information given by William, they have to provide lounge access with that room. As far as plat members are concerned, they have to do this if the room type is available.

The hotel property's policy cannot deviate from that overall SPG policy. If they want to grant less non-Plat people lounge access by upgrading less people to rooms where lounge access would be an accessory, this is where they can make up their own policy.

Lounge access has a cost: opportunity cost for space, staff, consumables. Do guests routinely ask why they're asked to pay for phone charges, spa treatements, or laundry?
This is completely besides the point of this thread. I was asking for a clarification to the SPG policy, and for the rationale behind it. If it was SPG's overall policy that laundry were always included as a status benefit for Plat members only in Sheraton/Westin/Le Meridien hotels, then we could discuss the details of that policy and why it is only applied to those hotel brands. Whether something has a cost and all that is not my concern, I only want to figure out what the policy is that a hotel has to adhere to.

--------

May I repeat the question if a suite should always have lounge access, as it is "more" than a club level room? (Except for that one experience at the Arion hotel) I have never been in a suite where lounge access would not be included while it would be included for a club level room. Or is this logic false? Any "official" feedback on this? Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:30 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by attorney28
...May I repeat the question if a suite should always have lounge access, as it is "more" than a club level room? (Except for that one experience at the Arion hotel) I have never been in a suite where lounge access would not be included while it would be included for a club level room. Or is this logic false? Any "official" feedback on this? Thanks.
Yes, not all suites come with lounge access.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Yes, not all suites come with lounge access.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Well I guess that settles this little discussion
But with this lot... perhaps not.
mike
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Well I guess that settles this little discussion
But with this lot... perhaps not.
mike
Thank you William, this indeed answers the question. I guess it means that if a hotel gives you an alternative to take a suite or club level, in the rare instances where a suite would not come with it, one would have to weigh lounge access vs. a bigger room.

MIKESILV, what do you mean by "with this lot"?

The other part of the question is still open - the part that asks "why these three brands - historical reasons? anything different about lounges in differently branded hotels within the chain?" Just trying to follow the logic of the distinction being made.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:59 pm

...The other part of the question is still open - the part that asks "why these three brands - historical reasons? anything different about lounges in differently branded hotels within the chain?"
Because that is how SPG set it up to be. My best guess would be that these are the brands that - historically - have the most to offer in this regard.

Just trying to follow the logic of the distinction being made.
"Logic is a little tweeting bird, chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad." - First Officer Spock of the Starship Enterprise. Season 2 - Episode: I, Mudd

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world

The other part of the question is still open - the part that asks "why these three brands - historical reasons? anything different about lounges in differently branded hotels within the chain?" Just trying to follow the logic of the distinction being made.

I'd hazard a guess that it's simply based on competitive traditions. Westin, Sheraton, and LM essentially compete in the midrange to higher-end midrange of business/leisure properties.

In the broad sense, that puts these brands on global par with competitive brands such as Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt. Each of those brands has traditionally (for many decades) offered some type of executive or club lounge for those willing to pay for access to a "concierge" or "club" floor. Over time, those privileges were extended to the most loyal patrons, as well.
I feel sure that's why the Sheraton brand still has club lounges as one of its cornerstone offerings in MOST properties.

Why Westin felt compelled to drop it as a brand standard, I can't tell you. Especially since I think they compete head on with Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton more often than not.

I can fully understand why Four Points, Element, and aLoft have nothing like a club lounge. I think everyone can appreciate why it would be impractical given that their competitive brands don't offer it, either/.

And, for the highest end St Regis and LC brands, I think it's fair to say that while many of their competitive brand standards (Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, etc) offer club lounges, they are almost always PAID FOR by the guest. They also tend to be extravagant in their offerings and generally liberal with alcohol. In short, it's never been a standard of that class of hotel to routinely "comp" access to their exclusive lounges. Thus, the LC and StR brands choose not to, as well.

And, I guess that leaves W. W is just too hip to have anything other than lobby lounges and rooftop bars. Sorry, no club lounges!

For me, the greatest mystery is the decision around Westin. Westin used to have GREAT lounges back in the day. IME, the offerings were exceptional and memorable. In the last 10 years, Westin lounges have disappeared left and right.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
...Why Westin felt compelled to drop it as a brand standard, I can't tell you. Especially since I think they compete head on with Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton more often than not.

<snip>

For me, the greatest mystery is the decision around Westin. Westin used to have GREAT lounges back in the day. IME, the offerings were exceptional and memorable. In the last 10 years, Westin lounges have disappeared left and right.
Just as an FYI, executive level lounges at Westins never were a brand standard. Certainly, many of them chose to have one and for them there were brand standards surrounding their set-up and operation; however, it never was an actual brand standard of this particular brand.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
I would like to return to Attorney28's original point about the inconsistencies in Starwood Properties, and point out that not all Sheratons, Westins, and LM have access for SPG Platinums, as some of these hotels do not have lounges. The Westin Chicago, Westin Portland, Westin Excelsior Roma, Sheraton Bahamas and the LM Sunny Isles Beach do not have lounges. In contrast the St. Regis Shanghai and the Luxury Collection's Nines in Portland do have lounges that have offered me as a Platinum admission.

Bottom line is that I am never sure if one of the SPG properties has or does not have a lounge.
Well, I believe you'll at least start to get some clarity; if I recall correctly, part of the significant makeover of the Sheraton brand is that a lounge will be a brand standard.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hilton-DIA, IHG-Plat Amb, Hyatt-DIA, SPG-Plat & 3 star, Marriott-Gold, Nat'l-Exec, NWA-Sil
I would like to return to Attorney28's original point about the inconsistencies in Starwood Properties, and point out that not all Sheratons, Westins, and LM have access for SPG Platinums, as some of these hotels do not have lounges. The Westin Chicago, Westin Portland, Westin Excelsior Roma, Sheraton Bahamas and the LM Sunny Isles Beach do not have lounges. In contrast the St. Regis Shanghai and the Luxury Collection's Nines in Portland do have lounges that have offered me as a Platinum admission.

From my googling some time ago - it would nice if SPG had this info available too....

Few and far between - a good link was started outside here - if there's better info than here, I haven't come across....

http://members.shaw.ca/twallis/starwood.xls

But - Independence, OH - free, and a decent lounge

Would be good to have more....... (Independence, OH no longer a property)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JAKMICH
From my googling some time ago - it would nice if SPG had this info available too....

Few and far between - a good link was started outside here - if there's better info than here, I haven't come across....

http://members.shaw.ca/twallis/starwood.xls

But - Independence, OH - free, and a decent lounge

Would be good to have more....... (Independence, OH no longer a property)
We have threads in this very forum with this information.

I hope starwood/spg web folks move to require that each property include lounge information on its web page. That would solve the "mystery".
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
"Logic is a little tweeting bird, chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."
Harcourt Fenton Mudd! You've been drinking again...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:00 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Harcourt Fenton Mudd! You've been drinking again...
OMG! He's quoting something from Star Trek! Doesn't anyone watch Powerpuff girls anymore?

Thyetus
Old Sep 9, 2009, 1:40 am

LeMeridien Lounge access for PLT added to T&C

Just noticed a change to T&C
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...spg_terms.html

4C.5. In addition to all the benefits of Gold Preferred Guest Membership, Platinum Preferred Guests also receive the following benefits:

d. Access to the Club Level Lounge when staying at Sheraton hotels or access to the Executive Level Lounge when staying at Westin or Le Méridien hotels, even when not staying on the Club Level or Executive Level floor(s). At Sheraton properties, access to the Club Level Lounge does not mean access to the Towers Level Lounge, even if there is no Club Level Lounge in the hotel and there is a Lounge of any kind in the Towers. Access to Towers Level is determined by each individual property. These benefits are limited to the member and one guest IF that guest is in the same room as the member. Lounge access is not available if a lounge is at maximum capacity or if a lounge is closed for any reason.

The former version was:

d. Access to the Club Level when staying at Sheraton hotels or access to the Executive Level when staying at Westin hotels, even when not staying on the Club Level or Executive Level floor(s). At Sheraton properties, access to the Club Level does not mean access to the Towers Level, even if there is no Club Level in the hotel and there is a Club Level in the Towers. Access to Towers Level is determined by each individual property. These benefits are limited to the member and one guest IF that guest is in the same room as the member. Lounge access is not available if a lounge is at maximum capacity or if a lounge is closed for any reason.

Last edited by ehud; Sep 9, 2009 at 4:04 am
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:45 am
Community Director Emerita

That's terrific! That you, Starwood Lurker, for bringing this to the attention of the powers that be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.