FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Seeking Platinum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/983565-seeking-platinum.html)

starplatseeker Aug 9, 2009 4:33 pm

Seeking Platinum

I have several million SPG points from my credit card, and thus have no need to pay for rooms. Unlike other loyalty programs, Starwood doesn't offer a complimentary status for people like me that only use rewards. So does anyone have any suggestions on how I can obtain Platinum status? (I've already done the 1 time status match).
Would it be possible to find people (via this site possibly?) to stay for me under my account, but have them pay for the rooms themselves? I believe I can do this by making the reservation for them and including them as an additional guest, right? That way they can check-in and I don't actually have to be there? I would compensate them with my points. I'm thinking offering a free night (12k pts) for every 4 stays they complete on my account.
Please chime in on how realistic you think this is, or if you have better ideas.
Thanks.

sfozrhfco Aug 9, 2009 4:37 pm

um...no...that would be against the program rules and you could have all of your points taken away.

fireworksboy Aug 9, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm unsure as to why the OP would be seeking Plat status.:confused: For the most part, Plat status best features are upgrades and bonus points - (don't bash me, I know there are many more but for brevity's sake). But the OP has enough points to upgrade him/herself anytime they want to. And obviously there's no issue with building up a decent balance. I'm baffled.

In answer to the question though, I think Plat status needs to be earned by the person on the account.

snufl Aug 9, 2009 6:27 pm

When you book an award night you can often book a suite at about double standard room points, this must be done over the phone. This way you know you are getting a suite. A Plat (generally) only finds out at check in what sort, if any, upgrade they receive.

Even if that option is not available, you can use instant upgrades at hotels for all sorts of goodies, I've used it for lounge access in the past.

You may already be aware of these options but I thought it was worth mentioning. With millions of points you should be able to get all the Plat benefits (except bonus points) with the advantage of locking them in advance. Actually, I think I would swap my status for millions of points (not an offer though).

To answer your question, I don't know any way for you to get Plat other than actual paid stays by you. Breaking the T&Cs could backfire.

boston aa flyer Aug 9, 2009 6:36 pm

yeah... i'm struggling with why you want it...

assuming you have the SPG Amex... you must have gold... and given the fact that there is no "availability" issue with no black out dates... the only thing a SPG Plat would get vs. SPG Gold on a free stay is the Amenity... which unless you have some bizarre need to collect the "local gift"... would be 500 points... which with your millions... you don't need...

trying to do what your suggesting would only work for one year.. (if you were to overlook the T&Cs -- which would be risky for someone with as many points as you have) and finally.. it would only be for one year... so you'd have to do it again... and again... seems like a lot of effort for virtually nothing.

Shantanu Aug 9, 2009 8:06 pm

I didn't realise the OP had asked if other's approve of his desire to be a SPG Plat! ;) Also, often, at some hotels I book, the points option, or even the cash and points option is not available. Surely, in this case, Plat status would be useful?

I would suggest waiting until the next double stays promo, and then doing 13 mattress runs at the nearest, cheapest Starwood......clearly, this doesn't really work if, like me, you live somewhere like London (struggle to find anything under £200 per night).....or in Paris, etc.

TravellerOnline Aug 10, 2009 1:32 am

Originally Posted by starplatseeker (Post 12199678)
Would it be possible to find people (via this site possibly?) to stay for me under my account, but have them pay for the rooms themselves? I believe I can do this by making the reservation for them and including them as an additional guest, right? That way they can check-in and I don't actually have to be there?

The account holder has to check in to get the points. Otherwise, you are not staying in the room, and thus no stay record/points.

If staying guest is someone you know and trust, then he/she might be able to check in for you. That happens. But, again, this depends on the property and the front desk.

john11111111111 Aug 10, 2009 4:01 am

How much did you have to spend on the CC to get a million points?

alanslegal Aug 10, 2009 5:32 am

Wasn't one of the *secret* hotel manifest on how to upgrade incoming guest, is based on the number of starpoints? So if this is the case, then the OP would be upgraded every time ;) but maybe this upgrade list only applies to Platinum guests which the OP does not have or earnt yet :D So the moral to the story? Earn Platinum and one shall be rewarded :D

fireworksboy Aug 10, 2009 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Shantanu (Post 12200436)
Also, often, at some hotels I book, the points option, or even the cash and points option is not available. Surely, in this case, Plat status would be useful?

How so? Didn't know we Plats have the ability to override either option. Did I learn something today?

mahasamatman Aug 10, 2009 7:37 am

Welcome to FT, starplatseeker

Originally Posted by starplatseeker (Post 12199678)
Starwood doesn't offer a complimentary status for people like me that only use rewards.

Why would they? You are generating no direct revenue for them. In fact, you are more of a burden than a benefit.

boston aa flyer Aug 10, 2009 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 12202094)
Welcome to FT, starplatseeker

Why would they? You are generating no direct revenue for them. In fact, you are more of a burden than a benefit.

i question that... if the OP has earned millions of points on Credit Cards.. (s)he has generated quite a bit of revenue... potentially at a higher profit than someone who earned the same number of points staying at hotels... and successfully leveraging tons of bonus programs...

ac777 Aug 10, 2009 8:38 am

OP can use 1000 points to u/g to Club level ( if not interested in paying the extra premium for suites) where that exists, when using points--so all in all going for Platinum --IMHO--does not make sense.

clublounger Aug 10, 2009 10:26 am

Originally Posted by fireworksboy (Post 12202090)
How so? Didn't know we Plats have the ability to override either option. Did I learn something today?

I don't think you learned anything about an "override". I believe the point is that if an award room , or a cash-and-points room is not available, then one must book a paid room. The OP, with a few million points would be forced to forgo redeeming his stash. Hence, Plat status would be required for an upgrade, unless room upgrades, with points, are available at check in.

What I didn't understand about the OP is that he should have gold status, based on AMEX spend. Gold get upgrades, too. And late check outs.

Aloha

Helena Handbaskets Aug 10, 2009 11:20 am

Even if you could get stay credits for someone else staying in your place, even if Starwood embraced the practice, I'd be too worried about being liable for a stranger's actions in "my" room to try something like this.