Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:31 pm
abk
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
any updates on st regis mexico city

the hotel's website says it opens august 3. i am thinking about an august 5 stay. anyone have reservations that week or any thoughts? a am little concerned i would be the only one in the hotel or just walked to the sheraton maria isabella.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
St Regis Mexico City assist please

I have always wanted to visit Mexico City. The flu has made that a difficult sell to my wife. Just booked this property later next month under the current promo. I know the prepaid stay is cheap also.

Can I please get comments on the location and complex the Hotel is in? Aka shopping and/or food also. Transportation from MEX airport to St Regis? Travel times I hear can be crazy. If anyone has a guide for Mexico City that would be appreciated. Please post or contact me via FT PM. Highlights of things to see. I am in at 11 AM and out the next afternoon at 5 PM. Flying on CO. Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:16 am

From the map, the St. Regis looks to be quite close to Chapultepec park and near the Nikko Hotel. If you are interested in being close to businesses and/or the Park (say, for the national museum of anthropology) then I'd say that the hotel is in an okay location. If you want to do primarily tourist things (Zocolo, Alameda Park, etc), then I'd say you that should consider making a reservation at the Sheraton Centro Historico instead. You don't say what day(s) that you will be in Mexico City, but be aware that most museums are closed on Mondays.

A taxi from the airport to your hotel will take about 20 minutes if there is absolutely no traffic. At 11 am, however, there will be traffic, so it will take more like an hour. Plan on it taking an hour to get back to the airport as well. Take a pre-paid taxi; as you exit customs/immigration (at least for Terminal 1), head right and go to the end of the airport. On the left there will be the pre-paid taxi stand, where your taxi fare is determined by what zone you are going to. I can't recall how much the taxi fare is, but it isn't very much.

A lot of the high-end restaurants are in Polanco, which appears to be near (but not particularly within walking distance) to the St. Regis. However, I like El Cardenal (there is one inside the Sheraton Centro Historico, and another one at Calle de Palma, which is near the Zocolo). See here.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Jul 28, 2009 at 7:30 am Reason: Erroneously stated that the taxi stand was on the right. It is on the left.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you so much. That really helps. In am in on Friday and out on Saturday.

Any and all additional comments appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you so much. That really helps. In am in on Friday and out on Saturday.

Any and all additional comments appreciated. Thanks.
I travel in weekly and stay in Centro Historico (Zone 3 - 127 pesos)...I believe the St Regis is closer to Reforma which will be 157 pesos (about $12 USD) plus tip. Since this is a new hotel, I'd make sure you have the address handy. Note - if the hotel gets you a taxi it's typically a private town car and will cost you approximately 350 pesos to return to the airport. You can step out to the street and flag a gold and red taxi and it will cost about 100 pesos metered for your return to the airport. Don't ever take a green and white VW taxi!

Mexico City's major attractions include Chapultepec Park, the Anthropology Museum, Metropolitan Cathedral and the National Palace. Here's a tour you might be able to do on Saturday but may have to break away early.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Mexico-C...5MEX2#schedule

BTW, the St Regis is brand new and opens up Aug. 5....if you're using your free weekend stay I'd highly recommend it. I plan on staying there for a long weekend too Aug 7-9.

Last edited by Richard_SVO_SPG_Platinum; Jul 28, 2009 at 8:19 am
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
I'd also highly recommend the Turibus, which is your classic tourist bus. The tour includes an audio translation in English. It will take you from Palanco through the park, to Condesa and the Zona Rosa, then down to Centro and the Zacalo. It's a great way to see the city and well done.

The "must-sees" in my opinion include the Anthropology Museum (one of the best in the world), the Cathedral, the National Palace (with the Diego Rivera murals).
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
I was there in January and stayed at the Sheraton Centro Historico, which was fairly close to the tourist sites.

Some pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asmythi...7617358481347/
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I'll be there Labor Day weekend for 3 nights. My first visit to D.F. looking forward to it. I'll post any new insight then.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Priority Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by GeneCMH
I'll be there Labor Day weekend for 3 nights. My first visit to D.F. looking forward to it. I'll post any new insight then.
Me too! Been there hundreds of times (family) but taking my boyfriend for the first time so some touristy things will be in order. Don't miss heading down to Coyoacan for the Frida Kahlo museum and the market there. Always one of my favorites.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
St Regis Mexico City

Today is when the hotel is supposed to open. We will be staying there in September. Any reviews from FT'ers on the property?

One thing that seems odd to me, their car service from the airport is 90USD but from the hotel to the airport is 40USD. There is a disparity in transfers at W Mexico City also, but not on the level of 125%

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:12 pm
abk
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by asnovici
Today is when the hotel is supposed to open. We will be staying there in September. Any reviews from FT'ers on the property?

One thing that seems odd to me, their car service from the airport is 90USD but from the hotel to the airport is 40USD. There is a disparity in transfers at W Mexico City also, but not on the level of 125%

Thanks
i am staying at the maria isabella sheraton as i post this and went to the st regis to see it this afternoon. the hotel has 189 rooms and about 12 of them are occupied. the lobby is on the 3rd floor and is nothing spectacular. the king cole bar is nice but nothing special and the restaurant looked to be one large room with a separate private dining room. all in all it seems quite subdued. i will try it next time but my first impression did not overwhelm me.

Last edited by abk; Aug 6, 2009 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by abk
i am staying at the maria isabella sheraton as we i post this and went to the st regis to see it this afternoon. the hotel has 189 rooms and about 12 of them are occupied. the lobby is on the 3rd floor and is nothing spectacular. the king cole bar is nice but nothing special and the restaurant looked to be one large room with a separate private dining room. all in all is is seems quite subdued. i will try it next time but my first impression did not overwhelm me.

Thanks for the post. That sounds underwhelming, wonder if we should have stayed at the W again instead.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:58 pm
abk
Original Poster

not sure what you like but the w has a lot more going on and also more close by.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA GOLD, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I have stayed at the W in Mexico City and was looking for a change of pace. I am thinking about booking a couple of nights here at the end of March on points, but they don't have any points rooms listed as available anytime in 2010. This seems unusual, and it seems a little late in the year for 2010 rates not to be laded. Has anyone experienced this with other hotels over the years? I have not. I called SPG and they had no explanation nor any suggestions other than to book a cash rate that I could cancel and then rebook using points when or if they become available. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Internet at St Regis Mexico City

Does anyone know if there's free internet access (Wifi) in the public areas (lobby) in St Regis Mexico City? What is price in the guest rooms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.