Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Why are rates soaring in NYC in Aug/Sept/Oct 2009? (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)

The Manhattan Starwood properties appear to be totally full over the next few days (the Westin NY at Times Square was charging $776 tonight and I couldn't get in tomorrow night when I made the reservation 3 weeks ago -- so opted for the W Times Square instead).

I haven't seen things this busy in NYC since last fall -- anyone know what's going on?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AZ Club Ulisse
It's probably the peak of tourist season.

I'm glad I booked Le Parker Meridien about a month ago. If I had to wait to the very last second, well, I would be paying about 30% more. Phew.

(Um, this also probably means no Plat upgrades on the horizon )
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:00 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Canada101
...anyone know what's going on?
Isn't the United Nations in session at that time?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:04 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I believe the UN General Assembly Opening Session, when all of NYC is fully booked, is in mid September-ish...... this year it is September 15.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:06 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by luxury
I believe the UN General Assembly Opening Session, when all of NYC is fully booked, is in mid September-ish...... this year it is September 15.
So, maybe some folks are arriving early to prepare?

I honestly don't know about this week. I was just trying to float an idea/possibility.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
There were many ridiculously cheap rates offered for August up until about 2 weeks ago. The Four Points Times Square for $115, the Sheratons for $159, the W the Court for $179, Tuscany for $189. As many people don't have money to fly somewhere this year for vacation, some probably decided to drive or take the train and spend a few days in NYC. Up until recently, it paid to wait until the last minute to book as the rates kept sliding down. For the beginning of August in New York this has not been the case. Even meeting spaces at the Sheraton were fully booked.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
There were many ridiculously cheap rates offered for August up until about 2 weeks ago. The Four Points Times Square for $115, the Sheratons for $159, the W the Court for $179, Tuscany for $189. As many people don't have money to fly somewhere this year for vacation, some probably decided to drive or take the train and spend a few days in NYC. Up until recently, it paid to wait until the last minute to book as the rates kept sliding down. For the beginning of August in New York this has not been the case. Even meeting spaces at the Sheraton were fully booked.
This is "back to school" shopping season and there are some small industry shows in the city that lead up to the start of Fashion week.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:56 am

with weak US Dollar, the US is getting cheaper and cheaper for the rest of the world. i can imagine millions of people from around the world decide to spend their summer vacations/holidays in the US. NYC is a popular tourist destination

i mean going on cheap vacation and where? in the US, is a dream for lots of people.

demand goes up, supply goes down , prices go up.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KSA_USA
with weak US Dollar, the US is getting cheaper and cheaper for the rest of the world. i can imagine millions of people from around the world decide to spend their summer vacations/holidays in the US. NYC is a popular tourist destination

i mean going on cheap vacation and where? in the US, is a dream for lots of people.

demand goes up, supply goes down , prices go up.
And --- That's why our Canadian friend is interested in this destination!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
Except that the dollar isn't weak against the Euro or the Pound (it's actually very strong against the pound and stable against the Euro). The U.S. (and New York) is no longer the bargain basement tourist destination it was 18 months ago. While the dollar is weak against Asian currencies, that's not going to impact NYC as much as it will impact the West Coast.

I still think high prices in NYC are about a business rebound, not tourism. All those domestic people who haven't traveled to the NYC office for a year are now willing to make the trip.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Originally Posted by DCGuy
Except that the dollar isn't weak against the Euro or the Pound (it's actually very strong against the pound and stable against the Euro). The U.S. (and New York) is no longer the bargain basement tourist destination it was 18 months ago. While the dollar is weak against Asian currencies, that's not going to impact NYC as much as it will impact the West Coast.

I still think high prices in NYC are about a business rebound, not tourism. All those domestic people who haven't traveled to the NYC office for a year are now willing to make the trip.
Really???

The dollar hit it's lowest against the euro yesterday since the Bear Sterns collapse.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Really???

The dollar hit it's lowest against the euro yesterday since the Bear Sterns collapse.
The $US is still above its 24-month average against the Euro.

Airlines can substitute larger aircraft and/or add extra flights from most points of origin to NYC, but a Westin can't roll in portable rooms from GE Capital nor put a thousand tents in Central Park. Reluctance to accept simple rules of supply & demand is impressive - not in a good way.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-mid-sept.html
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:06 pm

in 2001 $0.85 buys you one Euro ( Strong Dollar). in summer 2008 $1.6 buys you one Euro ( Weak dollar). today $1.44 buys you one Euro ( weak dollar). and still declining.

similar trend with the USD-GBP

The US dollar is weak. that is good for US economy (if inflation is controlled), it is bad for the rest of the world. the world believes the US government is behind weak US dollar, US official don't want to anger the world by coming out repeatedly saying they are in support of strong dollar
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:25 pm

August weekends are still affordable with these two deals from Travelzoo.

W Hoboken $141
Four Points Manhattan Chelsea $150
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:28 pm

Whatever the reason for the higher occupancy, it's great to hear!

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.