Finally Stayed at an Aloft and it "Worked"

Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
Finally Stayed at an Aloft and it "Worked"

So I needed another stay for the summer free weekend promotion and the cheapest room was at Aloft Arundel Mills outside Baltimore. I've been wanting to try an Aloft, so it was a great opportunity.

I've wondered about the concept, but I think it "worked" in the sense that I think the concept makes sense. I like contemporary design, so I thought the room was pretty ingenious given the size. I liked the shower and the rest of the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and the huge tv/free wifi was great. The lighting and colors were modern without being over-the-top.

I think the idea can extend beyond being a "trend." I don't like the location of the Arundel Mills hotel, but the place was busy (the Red Sox were playing Baltimore) and I could see staying at one on a business trip, which is most of my travel.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DCGuy
I've wondered about the concept, but I think it "worked" in the sense that I think the concept makes sense.
If contemporary works for you, try an Element - IMO far superior to the aloft execution.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If contemporary works for you, try an Element - IMO far superior to the aloft execution.
I've wondered about that. At Arundel Mills, an Element and an Aloft are actually physically connected, with a shared pool. The element was booked up. I should check it out.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:29 pm

I agree that Aloft works for business travel and although I've only stayed in their king size bedded rooms, I wonder if it would work for the family with 2 little kids in tow. Modern, clean, simple. If by chance you are heading to Aloft Chicago O'hare any time in the future, be forewarned that it is $28 for parking.

I did stay at that particular element and I also liked the concept as it was much like an aloft but with a kitchen. There is breakfast provided in the morning with bagels, cereal and pastries. It worked well for the family. It was interesting to see the element and aloft built right next to each other there at Arundel Mills.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DCGuy
I've wondered about that. At Arundel Mills, an Element and an Aloft are actually physically connected, with a shared pool. The element was booked up. I should check it out.
I almost don't want to document it but the difference for me is certainly worth $30/night.

Lexington, MA, is another dual location, but the hotels share only a parking lot (and maybe some food services, it seemed).
Old Aug 1, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, National Executive
I have stayed at two of the five Elements that are now open, Las Vegas and Houston. I must say that I really liked them both. Its very nice to go back to the hotel after work and have an environment that i can truly unwind in.

One major bonus with the Element is that they have a Wii in the lobby

Last edited by chrismsummers; Aug 1, 2009 at 8:33 pm Reason: Correct the nunber of hotels
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Mahalo
I agree that Aloft works for business travel and although I've only stayed in their king size bedded rooms, I wonder if it would work for the family with 2 little kids in tow.
I actually had the opposite impression -- just returned from the Aloft ORD today (my first Aloft stay) and my impression is that it's someplace I'd stay on a leisure trip much more readily than on a (longer) business trip. On business trips I spend a lot more of my time in my hotel room -- and there are several functional aspects of the Aloft room I found frustrating:

• Inadequate seating: there's noplace to sit and watch TV except in bed.
  • Beds that aren't up to usual SPG standards (terrible foam pillows, and not enough of them)
  • Limited closet/luggage space

The common areas of Aloft are quite nice but suit my leisure travel more -- I am much more likely to sit with friends and have a drink in the bar or swim when I'm on vacation.

I had really hoped that Aloft would be a good SPG alternative to hotels like HGI or Hyatt Place. Aloft is certainly more aesthetically appealing and has better common areas, but the rooms did not feel to me like they were in that class. It felt in many ways like corners were cut in the wrong places -- e.g., expensive bathroom fixtures but terrible bedding.

I hope SPG is refining the Aloft concept as they go along; it has the potential to be terrific but it's really only about 80% of the way there. (William, if you're reading this -- is there anyone at SPG to whom I should address more detailed constructive feedback?)
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
The only thing I didn't care for in the Alofts I've stayed at is the bed. Nice to look at but not very comfortable. IMHO. Everything else was pretty good.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:35 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by dtremit
...(William, if you're reading this -- is there anyone at SPG to whom I should address more detailed constructive feedback?)
I'll bet you this month's pay that SPG - the frequent stay program for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide - would have little to nothing to do with managing the aloft brand.

If you'd like to send some comments to those who do, I can't think of a better way to start than here:

Don't be Shy
Your opinions and ideas count to us. Let us know whats on your mind. Drop us an e-mail.
Tell Us >
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...act/index.html

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I'll bet you this month's pay that SPG - the frequent stay program for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide - would have little to nothing to do with managing the aloft brand.
Oh, come on, William, you know there is nothing more important than the frequent stay program. Everything else is just detail

Thanks for the link.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:52 pm

I had my first stay in an aloft recently and I really liked it (although it was for one night, haven't tried to work out of one for a week or longer). The public area was very nice - had a trendy bar area like you would see at a W hotel albeit smaller and poorly attended. That's to be expected in the suburban areas where these hotels are going though.

I went in thinking of the comments others had made on this site comparing the rooms to university dormitories. I suppose I can see that a bit, there is something slightly industrial about them - I suppose that's what they were going for with the "loft" bit

For $89 a night I cannot complain at all about a baby W with free wifi and an in-room fridge. Did not use, but was surprised to see, a hairdryer and iron with full ironing board in the room. As others have mentioned, the bed was not in the same league as the Sheraton/Westin beds but was not uncomfortable. Did not like the analog alarm clock, I suppose someone wanted to add a retro touch but would have preferred something more usable. Also, I was briefly tempted to refill my 3 oz shampoo bottle from the dispenser in the shower!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by firstglobal
For $89 a night I cannot complain at all
Perhaps this is my problem -- I was paying $129 -- $10 less than the Sheraton Suites at ORD. If the average rate is in fact closer to $89 maybe I'm mistaken about what they're competing against.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.