Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Whister Resort & Spa, Whister BC pre 2006 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Whister Resort & Spa, Whister BC pre 2006 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2001, 11:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Westin Spa at Whistler

Will be staying at the above British Columbia property in early September, breaking the journey on the luxury Whistler Northwind dome train from Vancouver to Prince George. Any experiences with the hotel property, amenities, and desirable rooms? Also, suggestions for innovative evening dining and vigorous afternoon hiking around Whistler would be appreciated. Take lifts to mountaintops for latter, or walk close to town? Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2001, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Explore, you are in for a huge treat. I was just there last month with my family. The hotel is large, gorgeous, and completely comfortable. We had a range of rooms, from a studio suite to a two bedroom suite, and all were spacious. The staff really makes an effort to get to know you and goes our of their way to assist you. There is a nicely equipped gym, pool area, spa, and a shopping arcade with some pretty good shops. You can walk out of the hotel and be in the middle of the village within minutes.

Regarding hiking, there is a long trail in Whistler called the Valley Trail that you can get on within the town. It goes for several miles but may not be the challenging hiking you are looking for.

As for restaurants, one of the front desk staff at the Westin recommended the Rim Rock Cafe. The setting is nice, kind of a cozy log cabin kind of feel, and the food is exceptional Pacific Northwest/Continental. I later looked it up on Zagat and saw that it was rated a 28, which I can believe. For lake and mountain views I've heard the Edgewater Grill is quite nice also.
Old Aug 26, 2001, 4:21 am

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Aeroplan, SPG Platinum, Hyatt
The Westin Whistler is a new and incredible property right next to the slopes/gondolas to both Whistler and Blackcomb. It's my favourite so far.

Other note-worthy hotels are the Pan Pacific (also relatively new) and Chateau Whistler. All of these are actually recognized by Conde Naste as being the top ski resorts in North America for year 2000. However, my peeve with the Pan Pacific hotel is their UNYIELDING 5-day minimum stay during the winter months. Summer time also has similar restrictions.

Whistler has so much to offer in terms of world-class restaurants. Rim Rock is very good, but isn't not in the village. For a truly memorable dining experience, try the Bear Foot Bistro....multi-course tasting menu with complementing wines. Be forewarned...bring your expense account since reservations are necessary well in advance AND a credit card at time of booking too. Well worth it, but more suited for romantic or business type dining experience.

La Rua and Araxi have been consistently voted to the top 3 restaurants for the last 5 yrs. Quattro for Italian (service, however, is poor at times). For a family-fun restaurant, try Carumba (sp?). Of course, there are enough bars to entice an entire university campus.

As for things to do....Whistler is now a 4-seasons resort. Ski in the winter, and in the summer, hike, bike, ski even, golf, sail (Alta Lake is near by), etc. Just check with your concierge or hotel front desk...the possibilities are endless (assuming it doesn't rain).

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 26, 2001, 11:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Stayed at Whistler last summer right after the opening. Wonderful property! I would recommend that you try and get a room that is at least a 1-bedroom. The spa was OK; the pool area was really nice, but the treatments were fair (and a bit pricey). The staff at this property were absolutely wonderful! The hiking is excellent as is the skiing. I also played golf every day (took lessons as well) and it was great. I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Aug 29, 2001, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everyone!
Old Oct 26, 2001, 2:33 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Whistler special

I posted this in the AC forum, prices are in CAD $:

There's an incredible deal in today's Vancouver Sun for the Westin Whistler:

Now until November 20th, enjoy a getaway for two that includes a stay in a luxurious suite with soaker tub, fireplace, kitchen and Heavenly Bed and your choice of either 'pampering the palate' or 'pamoering the soul". With our special $129 rate, you'll receive a $39 credit every day of your stay to use towards dining in our Aubergine Grille or for spa treatments in the Avello Spa & Health Club.

For Reservations, Call toll-free 1-888-634-5577 and ask for the "Pamper Package".

Old Oct 26, 2001, 2:35 pm

Extend it to Jan 2nd and I'll be happy.

Old Oct 26, 2001, 2:42 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Same here.
Old Oct 26, 2001, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What's the snow like up there?
Old Oct 26, 2001, 2:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
What's the snow like up there? </font>

It's usually white and cold

But seriously that's a great deal. And you say that's a rate in Canadian $!

Maybe I'll have to get back up there for that. Especially if there's a wee bit of snow on the mtn.
Old Oct 26, 2001, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I always wanted to check Whistler out... If I fly into YVR, how can I get there. and how long etc.

Ryan
Old Oct 26, 2001, 6:14 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Wow! I wish I could take advantage of this. If only it was available in early December.

Whistler is about 1.5-2 hours from Vancouver. I've rented an SUV in Vancouver pretty inexpensively and driven up. It's not a bad drive.

The mountain isn't scheduled to open for skiing until Nov. 22, but in the past, if there's enough snow they do have kind of a soft opening a few days prior to that. That can be a great deal because the hotels are cheap then and there are no crowds. Best snow though isn't until later in the season.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old Oct 27, 2001, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
They've been running this deal for months for BC residents only. I guess they're opening it up.
Old Oct 28, 2001, 9:19 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Ryan
There are a number of ways to get to Whistler from YVR: limo, limo bus, rental car, taxi. It's almost a 2 hr drive from YVR. There are many fatalities on the road and lots of radar. Whenever the speed limit changes, you'd better react or risk meeting one of Canada's finest, up close and personal!
Old Oct 28, 2001, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I have long wondered why there is not connecting plane service from YVR to a small air terminus closer to Whistler. There are airstrips up there, and the demand is certainly there.

The drive when at night is frightful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.