Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best way to get the Biggest Bonus for SPG Amex as of 7/5?

Old Jul 5, 09, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

I see the 10,000 SPG points, that can multiply with 15,000 more points if you reach spending thresholds. I don't plan on doing the presidential coins as I live overseas, thus I won't reach that spending threshold.

Any better deals out there? Call the line to see what they throw out above and beyond the above offer?

Thanks I'll report back my findings for others, when I get some good advice to act on.
Old Jul 6, 09, 7:55 am
Original Poster

I'm taking this as a NO, that this is the best deal going. I wanted to apply today and I'm in the middle of a HHonors or SPG debate as I recently moved overseas and want to get into a program that will suit me the best.

Adding a CC for this hotel is certainly needed.
Old Jul 6, 09, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, Marriott, Hilton
Don't go overboard with the US Mint coins deal. I'm undergoing a financial review by American Express and the coins seem to be what triggered the suspicious activity.
Old Jul 6, 09, 7:08 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
1st off, do you have a US billing address? You need one for the SPG Amex (or Hilton Amex for that matter).

In the past, SPG has offered a statement credit offer in addition to the 10,000 1st use points, but I don't see that on offer now. That would make the 10K + 15K (of which you say you won't reach the spend threshold for the 15K) the best (and only) offer.
Old Jul 6, 09, 7:10 pm
ecq

Originally Posted by hejustlaughs View Post
Don't go overboard with the US Mint coins deal. I'm undergoing a financial review by American Express and the coins seem to be what triggered the suspicious activity.
how much did you order per month? i want to try with amex as well but i order $1k per month
Old Jul 6, 09, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I don't know...is Amex really going to trigger a financial review because of a purchase(s) at the US Mint?
Old Jul 7, 09, 6:41 am
ecq

Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I don't know...is Amex really going to trigger a financial review because of a purchase(s) at the US Mint?
someone over on the coins thread said he bought $7500 worth of coins and amex wanted a financial review. maybe they dont' want to give the points anymore.
Old Jul 8, 09, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, Marriott, Hilton
I only did $3,000 worth of coins in one month and Amex wanted a financial review.

I wish SPG was involved with other companies. AMEX use to be a great credit card company but now they dwell way too much into your personal finances just to have the privilege of them giving you credit.

If I didn't love SPG so much, I would have not put up with the financial review and told AMEX to shove it and close my card.

I'm also a person that pays my bill off in full each and every month without any late payments. I know I don't make much money for AMEX since they don't earn interest off me but in this current environment I'm sure they'd want a somewhat profitable customer over a deadbeat customer.
Old Jul 8, 09, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I applied online and it gave me a message of something like:

"We are sorry but our systems are down, please try again later. Call us for an application or information about Amex."

NOTHING about we processed your application and pulled your credit, but we aren't telling you.

Thus I applied again later and got the same message.

I checked my credit report and 2 inquires are now on my CR.

I called Amex and they said they would reduce it to 1. I said I think it is misleading to not inform someone that their application went through and credit was pulled, please call to complete your application.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: