Westin Times Square Lounge Closed

Old Jul 3, 09, 6:31 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
The cutting of clublounges is a really backlash for the SPG-Platinum program.
After 140 Stays in 2008, and now 20 in 2009 (doctoral leave program) I will reconsider my hotel choice when I'm back in the consulting business...
(I.e Marriott, Hilton...)
Old Jul 3, 09, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by UA1kMFR View Post
But, the other *wood NYC hotels are not much better.
Really? What is your location criteria for NYC?

I agree about the location of the "Westin Port Authority", but all the other properties, including the W TS, are in much better locations.

It's a shame about the lounge, I suppose, for those of you that stay there.

-David
Old Jul 3, 09, 1:09 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
Interesting. I take a different approach. I really DO NOT see it from a business perspective. Unlike 18 months ago, there are fewer customers and the same (if not more) competition. Simple supply and demand. Supply is high so you must lower prices, offer more and take smaller profits. If it were me, I'd be OPENING more lounges and making them nicer to attract a greater share of the market.

As we (and apparently the Sheraton/Westin brand manager) saw from the soap thread, customers DO NOT like to feel that a hotel is being cheap.
Right. I'll stay at a hotel with a lounge over a hotel without a lounge even if the one with the lounge costs $10-$20 more per night. The same for hotels with lounges open on weekends versus not open on weekends.
Old Jul 3, 09, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by stc View Post
Right. I'll stay at a hotel with a lounge over a hotel without a lounge even if the one with the lounge costs $10-$20 more per night. The same for hotels with lounges open on weekends versus not open on weekends.
Ditto.
Old Jul 3, 09, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
When traveling with my wife and son we would likely pay $30+ more per night for a hotel with a lounge.

Originally Posted by stc View Post
Old Jul 3, 09, 2:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond
I understand Starwood's need to cut down cost...after all, it is a business. Yes, of course, if I ever stayed here, I would prefer to have lounge access w/ free breakfast, alcohol, or whatever they may have provided, but we can't have our cake and eat it too. I know we all hate to hear it, but this is the economy at it's finest. I much prefer they cut costs and close a lounge, than lay off several employees who are probably in desperate need of a job.

And furthermore, howree junk can we expect hotels to continue cutting prices for rooms, but offer more f to us? Yes, in a perfect world, we'd all get free drinks, food, and incredibly low rates, but unfortunately we just don't live in one. Let's keep in mind a lot of businesses are tankin' and I would prefer to see Starwood, it's brands and it's hotels stay afloat. If that means cutting back on something they do not find profitable, so be it. Just because you may pay $30 more, doesn't mean the majority of their guests will...
Old Jul 3, 09, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA1K SPG Platinum Hilton Diamond
free breakfast

I had two stays at the property during the past week. first time, I was given a $25 breakfast food credit at Shula's and the second stay, I was given a Continental breakfast certificate for two to compensate for the lounge closure.

I still consider this hotel to be one of the best business hotels between starwood and hilton group. other hotels I regularly stay are W TS, Le Meridian, Hilton NY and the Millennium Hilton.
Old Jul 3, 09, 3:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Interesting because the rates that I have been paying for my *wood stays (all leisure/out of my own pocket) are the same or a bit more than a year ago. Yet, I feel that the nickel and diming is what bothers me the most. Lounges are nice, but if you are going to close the lounge then offer your Platinum members a substitute. In reality, most people, won't be bothered with using a coupon/voucher in the end. Saving money occurs but the customer walks away "happier" in that they feel they have been recognized for their loyalty.
Old Jul 3, 09, 3:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
tsk tsk. You shouldn't have booked that place to begin with!
Why not? I guess I don't understand this comment. If I want to stay at a hotel that has a lounge and I find out the hotel has closed their lounge, why wouldn't I then look at other options?

I will admit that a lounge wouldn't be my only consideration, but if I have other options (i.e. Marriott/Hilton) that do have a lounge, I would be very tempted to move my reservation as well.
Old Jul 3, 09, 3:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Why not? I guess I don't understand this comment. If I want to stay at a hotel that has a lounge and I find out the hotel has closed their lounge, why wouldn't I then look at other options?

I will admit that a lounge wouldn't be my only consideration, but if I have other options (i.e. Marriott/Hilton) that do have a lounge, I would be very tempted to move my reservation as well.
As plenty know here, BlissWorld is a huge fan of W's, so I'm sure his comment just stemmed from the fact that he thinks you should have booked a W. I would have to concur with that...while there are a few lousy W's here, there are also some excellent ones.
Old Jul 3, 09, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, SPG Ambassador & Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS 1st, Amtrak Select
This is unfortunate as I feel it was the only reason to book a room here. I don't care for the location, I didn't care that they made me feel like a beggar when I asked about an upgrade (any upgrade--not asking for a suite), and I find the staff less-than-warm. But if I was going to the Lincoln or for a show, the evening spread and a glass of wine was a good start to the night, before the show and dinner to follow. And while I don't agree that I should have had to pay more for it since it's a "benefit" for my status, I was willing to do so when the premium wasn't much. Now I see no reason to book here as a Plat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: