Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extended Stay in Downtown DC - which hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Extended Stay in Downtown DC - which hotel?

Hello all,

My company is sending me to DC for 2 months in September/October. Rather than stay in an extended stay property (AKA Hotel, for example) I figure I'll rack up some SPG points and stay at a hotel. Each property has offered the same price (my company's per diem), so here are the options:

Westin Grand
-Junior Suite (didn't know they had these)
-Free Internet Access

W Washington
-Wonderful Room

Westin City Center
-Standard Room

Fairfax at Embassy Row
-deluxe room

The Grand seems like the hands-down winner, plus the sales rep there is a joy to work with. However, I'm tempted by the W - it'll be brand new and so shiny - but no idea on room size which will be important over 60 days. Just wanted to get your thoughts - I've never stayed in any of these hotels.

Which would you like to stay in for an extended period of time? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by neildibiase; Jul 1, 2009 at 5:07 pm
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Do you currently have status with SPG? If not, this would be a good opportunity to rack up a lot of stays by changing hotels every day or 2, if you don't mind the hassle. Whether it's worth it depends on how much you'll use Starwood in the future after this assignment.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

I don't have status currently - but figure I'll still hit Platinum because I'll be staying more than 50 nights in a Starwood hotel during one year - happens to be all at the same time.

As far as I can tell, it's 25 stays or 50 nights. Good thinking though!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Where is your work?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Thought about that - I'll be working with a few clients in the city and one major client just outside in Falls Church, so I just need to be Metro accessible.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by neildibiase
Thought about that - I'll be working with a few clients in the city and one major client just outside in Falls Church, so I just need to be Metro accessible.
Westin Grand
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Any idea of what they mean by junior suite? Nothing on their website.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:45 pm

My buddy stayed at the Westin Grand every week for about 6 months and saw every room (with the exception of the presidential suite) that was available. I can ask him. I think I recall the junior suites having a little separate sitting area. Not a true suite in that you have multiple rooms, but something of a separate section with a couch/desk/etc.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Western Grand gets another vote.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

This isn't meant to be rude, but there is a lot of information on DC properties, in the SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List. I hope both of these threads help.
Washington D.C. General Discussion (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

The westin grand questions can be answered in this thread. If they are showing one available, book it, do not count on an upgrade to it.
Westin Grand - Washington D.C. [Master Thread]
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
My buddy stayed at the Westin Grand every week for about 6 months and saw every room (with the exception of the presidential suite) that was available. I can ask him. I think I recall the junior suites having a little separate sitting area. Not a true suite in that you have multiple rooms, but something of a separate section with a couch/desk/etc.
That is pretty much what those rooms are and "extended" king room.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Make sure you check out SPG policy regarding receiving points/credit for long-term (30+ day) stays. There was a long back and forth about this a few weeks ago, and the upshot was no points/stay credit can be accumulated because it is more like a short-term lease than a hotel stay, and it was suggested the OP spend 20 nights in one hotel, leave for a day or two, then come back. Don't remember the details but the policy seemed to clearly disallow this.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFWFlier
Do you currently have status with SPG? If not, this would be a good opportunity to rack up a lot of stays by changing hotels every day or 2, if you don't mind the hassle. Whether it's worth it depends on how much you'll use Starwood in the future after this assignment.
I also thought of switching, but then realized the OP will get enough nights to qualify that way.

OP I would divide it up so that you will beable to earn an extra pt per $, which Golds and Plats get. so maybe for 1 night after you stayed enough nights to be a Gold stay elsewhere and come back to The Westin the night after that.So hopefully you'll get the extra pt that way

If you have status with another Chain call SPG and see if they will comp you at least gold, dont tell them you will be staying for 2 months , then they may not,as they might feel they already got you why give you anything for nothing. If they comp you even Gold then you will earn 3 pts from day 1 and need not switch Hotels

also there was something about no credit for stays over 30 days, so do make sure you do something not to get caught up by that

also if you dont have a SPG Amex get it thats another 2 pts per $ charged on it at SPG props.

You must pay the bill and I believe if its a Master Bill you wont get any credit, make sure you get it all Right before staying otherwise you may Not get what you are counting on

Last edited by craz; Jul 1, 2009 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

The westin grand questions can be answered in this thread. If they are showing one available, book it, do not count on an upgrade to it.
Westin Grand - Washington D.C. [Master Thread][/COLOR]
I took it from the OPs post that the Jr suite was a Given,done deal if they chose the Westin Grand, something the Hotel offered as a way to get the biz, so the OP wouldnt have to do anything to get it but simply call back the person they spoke to and take them up on the offer of a Jr Suite at whatever rate was given
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I also thoughtof switching, but then realized the OP will get enough nights to qualify that way.

OP I would divide it up so that you will beable to earn an extra pt per $, which Golds and Plats get. so maybe for 1 night after you stayed enough nights to be a Gold stay elsewhere and come back to The Westin the night after that.So hopefully you'll get the extra pt that way

If you have status with another Chain call SPG and see if they will comp you at least gold, dont tell them you will be staying for 2 months , then they may not as they might feel they alreday got you why give you anything for nothing. If they comp you even Gold then you will earn 3 pts from day 1 and need not switch Hotels

also there was something about no credit for stays over 30 days, so do make sure you do something not to get caught up by that

also if you dont have a SPG Amex get it thats another 2 pts per $ charged on it at SPG props.

You must pay the bill and I believe if its a Master Bill you wont get any credit, make sure you get it all Right before staying otherwise you may Not get what you are counting on
+1

I had an annoying experience with another chain (Priority Club) regarding an extended stay. Cross the t's and dot the i's before you make the reservation and begin your stay. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.