Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Platinum Member Denied check in at the Sheraton JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Member Denied check in at the Sheraton JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:38 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Thumbs down Platinum Member Denied check in at the Sheraton JFK

After ten years as a Starwood SPG Platinum member and many hundreds of stays it was just a matter of when
In fact in all my decades of travel this was only the third time ever being denied check with the first two being the very same Hyatt property in the Dallas area in the past year.
Starwood too its credit has an excellent record of keeping its reservation promise to its guests in my own experience.

After 8 hours of flying on June the 9th I landed and made my way over by the shuttle to the Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel at approx 1:30 AM with a confirmed reservation and tried to check in. The Sheraton JFK night manager showed me the door and nicely wished me well as the hotel was in a sell-out posistion and there wasn't anything they could do.I was starting to eye the mighty good looking comfy lobby couch

The nice night agent to their credit did however call the very close by Hilton Garden Inn and was able to negotiate their rate down from 250 per night to 200 plus tax all at my extra expense.Something that had been available previously for less weeks in advance before my arrival.

It is interesting to note that the Sheraton JFK that night offered me nothing at the time not even a bottle of water or the promise of taking good care of me in the future ..... Except to say that the hotel shuttle would take me locally when it would return.
At that point I grabbed my bags and briefcase and walked to the Hilton where I was fortunate at the very late hour to secure a room into the wee hours with the negotaited rate the agent had set up.It is interesting to note I never heard back from the Sheraton JFK hotel not even an apology.Apparently this is business as usual.

In speaking with Starwood Hotel Customer Service in Cork the next day I was told they knew of no such specific policy with regard to walked SPG guests
They explained that there were to many Starwood policies to be aware of and someone would have to look into it

As a result I decided to escalate my case to the outstanding well spoken sincere folks from Starwood in the Consumer Affairs office
The very nice Consumer Affairs folks were well aware of their corporate policy. Thankfully I had some previous understanding because of the very helpful William Sanders who has posted here in this forum of an official policy regarding walked guests in the past.

It is now a week later and not a word from the hotel or Starwood.
A call went into the Platinum line and Hotel Customer Service today but neither could find the time in their busy day to follow up.
Hopefully when I return from Europe or sooner a solution will be in place.

Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 20, 2009 at 6:09 pm
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I think on the walked night you should be comped (the 1st night) at the other hotel AND get your SPG credit for the night. I seem to recall this being a policy at some point. Or maybe it is an insane delusion, but I think this was what should occur.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
The very least they should have done is to pay for transportation to the new hotel, and then paid for your room there.

There is no excuse for not having done that.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Sounds like Hilton Diamond program is going to have its newest member!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
In speaking with Starwood Hotel Customer Service in Cork the next day I was told they knew of no such specific policy with regard to walked SPG guests
They explained that there were to many Starwood policies to be aware of and someone would have to look into it
That's certainly disappointing. I've only run into this situation twice and on both occasions was blessed to reach spectacular Plat Concierges who were immediately aware of corporate policy in such situations and how Platinums are treated.

It's the worst feeling in the world to have put in a 20 hour day and slink into your hotel at 2am only to be told there are no rooms. NOT COOL.

Sorry you went through all of this; having been there, I know it stinks. I'm really surprised you've had such a sluggish time of getting quick resolution on this. I'd encourage you to reach out again to Customer Care and ask for an update. I think the walk policies are fairly clear here.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
Sounds like Hilton Diamond program is going to have its newest member!
HH has had me for years as a Diamond member so their new member won't be me
However I still give the nod to the good folks at SPG who still run the best program in the business IMO
The fact that brand assurance at Starwood has been a weak point for a number of years is dissapointing.It reflects on the program sadly though it really shouldn't.

The fact is that Hilton resolves problems within 24 to 48 hours maximum or Hilton bills the hotels and comes to a resolution for the customer
Its about putting closure on issues,trust and confidence

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 18, 2009 at 9:11 pm
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:52 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi 777 global mile hound,

My apologies for such unpleasant experience. I am not sure if William has read this thread but I am following up with it and keeping him in the loop as well.

Do hear from us soon.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbtinme
That's certainly disappointing. I've only run into this situation twice and on both occasions was blessed to reach spectacular Plat Concierges who were immediately aware of corporate policy in such situations and how Platinums are treated.

It's the worst feeling in the world to have put in a 20 hour day and slink into your hotel at 2am only to be told there are no rooms. NOT COOL.

Sorry you went through all of this; having been there, I know it stinks. I'm really surprised you've had such a sluggish time of getting quick resolution on this. I'd encourage you to reach out again to Customer Care and ask for an update. I think the walk policies are fairly clear here.
There are some very highly informed Platinum agents however like hotels experiences will vary depending on the agent
Even if platinum agents might rattle off a few of the correct policies they do not have the authority to act on anything.They simply transfer the call to Hotel Customer Service(not the Platinum desk).One is only in good hands depending on the agent in the Hotel Customer Service dept.The problem I see is that agents main purpose is to open cases and seem offer little in the way of actual hotel experience to comment or offer any realtime solutions.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Hope this doesn't happen to me next year in South Africa during the World Cup.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
From another negative thread this week, it's sounding like Sheraton JFK may be becoming a "problem" hotel in terms of having service at SPG standards.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think on the walked night you should be comped (the 1st night) at the other hotel AND get your SPG credit for the night. I seem to recall this being a policy at some point. Or maybe it is an insane delusion, but I think this was what should occur.
Insane delusions? My kind of poster
Welcome to the road warriors club where missing ones mind is indeed a fine art form
If I get this right from my many years of lurking
There is a point posting to ones account in the category property you were booked in
Compensation for the night one ends up paying for elsewhere

I seem to also remember a conversation with a hotel manger in Sydney who said they also pay for private transportation to the switched property in a taxi or car service
But they may be an individual hotel good will gesture policy.
Luckily the replacement hotel was in easy walking distance in my situation
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the SPG walk policy for elites:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7401889-post2.html

Comments on normal turnaway:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7402273-post4.html

Normally, normal turnaway would be complimentary first night at another hotel and transportation there (with subsequent nights at your booked rate), but William has noted that these policies may differ based on locale and brand. I do think that those are pretty standard, at least in the US (Amex/MC/Visa also often have policies like this in place for hotels that accept "guaranteed reservations" with their credit cards).

Under the SPG policy, you would be entitled to 7K points (Cat 3 property) and point/stay credit for your booked stay at the Sheraton.

I am appalled that the Sheraton didn't have alternative accommodations lined up or at the very least get on the phone the moment you showed up. They were clearly betting that you wouldn't show up and they could then collect the no-show fee and not have to worry about finding you a room.

This reminds me of the infamous Yours is a Very Bad Hotel powerpoint:
http://www.slideshare.net/whatidisco...ad-hotel-97480

Last edited by soitgoes; Jun 18, 2009 at 9:47 pm
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi 777 global mile hound,

My apologies for such unpleasant experience. I am not sure if William has read this thread but I am following up with it and keeping him in the loop as well.

Do hear from us soon.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Appreciate your kind words and interest in my experience.
No worries really it was a walk in the park compared to some of the really bad experiences over the years

For me as a frequent guest it is all in the art of taking ownership at the first or second point of contact by phone.In a more perfect world the hotel should know corporate policy by reading the rules book next to the computer so I can avoid calling anybody
Walking SPG Guests for Dummies?
It's area that Starwood should consider gaining greater control over

I think I speak for many when I say I appreciate your more recent support of the SPG community here on Flyertalk and of course William who like Cher needs no last name here anymore

Ten years later Starwood still leads the way for listening to guests through social media channels/public forums.
We are all richer, wiser and better informed for it ^
Best Regards
777 GMH

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 18, 2009 at 10:07 pm
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:06 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

From my confirmations at the St Regis SF & LM MUC:

In the event more guests arrive than can be accommodated due to hotel overbooking or an unforeseen circumstance, and hotel is unable to hold rooms consistent with this room hold policy, hotel will attempt to accommodate guests, at its expense, at a comparable hotel in the area for the oversold night(s), and will pay for transportation to that hotel.

I'm not sure if it showed up on your confirmation - but its pretty clear from my perspective - I'm SPG Gold if that makes any difference.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:07 pm

I too had a recent experience, though on an unrelated issue, with Sheraton Consumer Affairs. They are prompt and polite with their revert. But based on my limited interaction, I'm not sure if they are any effective in pushing the hotel to get things sorted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.