Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

gifted points stay to friend, my CC charged: possible scenarios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat

I gifted a points stay to my friend. My friend presented own CC for incidental charges, billed meal to room and settled said charge upon check-out.

On my current CC bill, I notice a charge from this property. I have never stayed at this property myself, so this charge cannot be related to any of my own stays. Since my friend billed meal to room and settled charges upon check-out, this property definitely has her CC info on file.

Before I dispute the charge with my CC company, can anyone think of a scenario where this charge could be legitimate?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:27 pm

Totoro,
Check that the folio:

1) Did not show this as a C&P stay rather than a points stay.
2) Records your friends payment against the account.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Don't dispute with CC company. Just call the accounting manager who will take care of it right away and put charges on appropriate cards.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:44 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi totoro,

You may follow the advice given by other members or simply contact Corporate Care and request for a document file to be created so that the property does not make the same mistake again.

Updated: On the assumption that there is really a mistake in billing.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Last edited by Starwood Lurker II; Jun 7, 2009 at 9:02 pm
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aussiechris
Totoro,
Check that the folio:

1) Did not show this as a C&P stay rather than a points stay.
2) Records your friends payment against the account.
The reservation confirmation e-mail clearly shows this stay as points (not C&P). The folio makes no mention of room rate, so I assume the property didn't charge for the room itself.

The folio shows a zero balance with meal amount charged to my friend's CC. Incidentally, this amount is not the same as the one on my CC bill, so I don't think the property posted a charge to the incorrect CC.

I will contact the accounting manager tomorrow and report back.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Similar situation

Totoro,

I had a very similar situation happen to me about a month ago. There are a few factors that go into why this probably happened:

1. The card that was charged was more than likely the same card you have on file in your SPG profile. Properties will also have the same card number on file when you make a reservation. The card number is transferred to the property at the time the reservation is made. Even if your friend presented their own card for incidental charges, the property still has your card on file.

2. When points are used to book a reservation, Starwood will deduct the points from your account. What I recently found out was that it is the hotel's responsibility to redeem the points with Starwood to pay for your stay. Sometimes, the points are not redeemed and the card number on file is charged the lowest rate available for the room. I would guess that the amount charged to your card was probably a low rate such as a prepaid rate. The Plat. Concierge can assist you by contacting the hotel and ask that the points be redeemed and your card credited.

It took a couple of weeks to have my matter resolved but it was eventually taken care of by the hotel's accounting dept. The issue lies in the accounting person not recognizing that a stay is being paid for with points rather than your credit card.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by socalplat
2. When points are used to book a reservation, Starwood will deduct the points from your account. What I recently found out was that it is the hotel's responsibility to redeem the points with Starwood to pay for your stay. Sometimes, the points are not redeemed and the card number on file is charged the lowest rate available for the room. I would guess that the amount charged to your card was probably a low rate such as a prepaid rate. The Plat. Concierge can assist you by contacting the hotel and ask that the points be redeemed and your card credited.

It took a couple of weeks to have my matter resolved but it was eventually taken care of by the hotel's accounting dept. The issue lies in the accounting person not recognizing that a stay is being paid for with points rather than your credit card.
Thank you for the thoughtful analysis!

I just double-checked my SPG account, and SPG deducted the appropriate number of points for the stay. As you suggested, the property probably did not recognize that I paid points for the stay.

I left a voicemail for the accounting manager today and have not yet received a reply. When I have news, I will update so that we can all learn from this situation.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by socalplat
When points are used to book a reservation, Starwood will deduct the points from your account. What I recently found out was that it is the hotel's responsibility to redeem the points with Starwood to pay for your stay. Sometimes, the points are not redeemed and the card number on file is charged the lowest rate available for the room. I would guess that the amount charged to your card was probably a low rate such as a prepaid rate. The Plat. Concierge can assist you by contacting the hotel and ask that the points be redeemed and your card credited.
Over the past week, I made multiple attempts to contact the property's accounting manager without success.

This morning I opened a case with corporate customer care. The CSR said when redeeming a points stay, the property should bill Starwood for a cash amount. She stated that the amount in my case appears close to that amount. The result is that despite Starpoints having been properly deducted from my account and applied to the stay, the property billed my CC rather than Starwood.

Corporate Customer Care CSR contacted the property and returned my call within 15 minutes! She confirmed the problem as above and that I should receive my refund within 5-7 business days.

If I do not receive my refund, rest assured that I will post another update
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:42 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Totoro
If I do not receive my refund, rest assured that I will post another update
Please notify me as well if you do not receive any response.

Thank you.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:21 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Totoro
She confirmed the problem as above and that I should receive my refund within 5-7 business days.
Starwood Lurkers,

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Why can a hotel charge you IMMEDIATELY, but when they make a mistake, the refund always requires "5-7 business days" or longer to post. Owning a small business, I know FULL WELL that a refund can be posted just as quickly as a charge!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by DCBob
Starwood Lurkers,

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Why can a hotel charge you IMMEDIATELY, but when they make a mistake, the refund always requires "5-7 business days" or longer to post. Owning a small business, I know FULL WELL that a refund can be posted just as quickly as a charge!
It depends upon the credit card company, frankly. Some are quicker than others when it comes to issuing refunds. And, I have personal experience in that area, so I know whereof I speak.

Best regards,

William

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.