SPG 50% off coupon?

Old Jun 3, 09, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

SPG 50% off coupon?

hi guys,

i noticed a few ppl mentioning 50% coupons for starwood hotels... can you tell me where you got these? i don't think i've ever received one! (for reference, am SPG gold)

thanks!
Old Jun 3, 09, 2:00 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by halocat View Post
...(for reference, am SPG gold)...
These are given on a yearly basis to Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express cardholders. Otherwise, you can spend 1,000 Starpoints to use one that is electronically delivered to the hotel.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 3, 09, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the info!

i do have an SPG AMEX as well... do they come with the monthly bill? if i signed up for the paperless bill delivery option, how would i receive them?

thanks!

p.s. are they only good for the 2nd night of a stay?
Old Jun 3, 09, 2:21 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by halocat View Post
thanks for the info!

i do have an SPG AMEX as well... do they come with the monthly bill? if i signed up for the paperless bill delivery option, how would i receive them?

thanks!

p.s. are they only good for the 2nd night of a stay?
They come with your AMEX card to start and then the month after your yearly renewal fee is paid. There is no paperless option for these. You turn in the paper when you check-in. If you did not get one, you can call SPG and ask them to order an AX50 award off your account and one will be sent to you within 4 - 6 weeks.

One certificate (electronic or otherwise) is good for five or less consecutive nights at the same property. More than five nights at a single property requires multiple certificates. Also, if you are staying five or less nights at multiple properties using the SPG50 rate, you will need a certificate for each property.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 3, 09, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Also discussed in the FAQ sticky near the top of this (SPG) forum (as well as dozens of other threads, and the SPG website).
Old Jun 3, 09, 9:30 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Don't waste your time searching for one - they are WORTHLESS - I have never in my many years as an SPG Amex cardmember found a hotel that would take one.
Old Jun 3, 09, 10:38 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
They are good for 50% off the rack rate which in most cases is more than the lowest rate available. However they are useful to have if you make a last minute booking at a hotel that is nearly full because I believe they aren't subject to inventory control.

Lurker can confirm or deny that.
Old Jun 4, 09, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tony2x View Post
They are good for 50% off the rack rate which in most cases is more than the lowest rate available. However they are useful to have if you make a last minute booking at a hotel that is nearly full because I believe they aren't subject to inventory control....
SPG50 is subject to capacity control. It is not likely to be available when a property is nearly full. I found it only useful for international properties where discounts are usually less than 50% of rack. Rarely useful in North America.
Old Jun 4, 09, 4:30 am

Husband has an Amex card, but never received any SPG50 through them.

He used to receive a couple of those when travelling frequently with AA, but this now dates back...

think I will order one through the SPG web site then... Have some celebration in mind...
Old Jun 4, 09, 4:56 am

Booking done by phone!!!
found some interesting application for the SPG 50 in Venice, Italy....
and the gentleman on the phone was more than helpful!!!
Old Jun 27, 09, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by singletraveler View Post
Don't waste your time searching for one - they are WORTHLESS - I have never in my many years as an SPG Amex cardmember found a hotel that would take one.
Well, the hotels don't "take them" if by that you mean offering them at time of check-in. SPG50 stays have to be booked through Starwood over the phone.

I've used them a number of times, two in the U.S. (Chicago and Seattle) and the rest in Europe or Africa. One time, in Cape Town, the SPG50 saved me about $600 over a five-night stay. Not too shabby! There's a thread here that gives some other experiences, and some tips.

The SPG50 certificates are very useful sometimes, but sometimes the hotel has a lower rate than you would get with the SPG50. And sometimes the availability is gone. It never hurts to ask, though.
Old Jun 27, 09, 1:45 pm

It's useless. 50% off rack rate.
Old Jun 28, 09, 11:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phoenixgck View Post
Obviously this poster has not had luck with the 50% off coupon/points redemption option. I have used the SPG50 option several times. It all depends on what hotels you stay in. Most likely, it wouldn't help on a Four Points or Sheraton stay in the US. I have used my SPG50 in San Fran (St. Regis), NY (St. Regis) and a few other locations. For the higher end properties, SPG50 is definitely worth it.

If you are considering traveling overseas, you may want to look into this option as well. Again, it just all depends on what the hotel's RACK rate is. You may have to search around to find a hotel that actually gives you value for this coupon, but they are certainly out there.
Old Jul 19, 09, 6:04 pm

Absolutely!

I just checked for Oktoberfest and was able to book the Lenggries location at €80 per night (for two with breakfast) using the SPG 50 when the best deal otherwise was €110 per night.

That 30 euros (~$43) per day savings will buy a each of us a couple Maß Bier at the Wies'n!
Old Jul 19, 09, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by phoenixgck View Post
i have had great luck with SPG50....have already used it 5 times this year....saved £75 ($120) each night during a 2 night stay at the le méridien piccadilly....saved €40 ($55) at the sheraton brussels airport....saved $75 at the walt disney swan....& $50 at the w times square....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: