Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

I Thought PrePaid Stays Were... uhhh... Prepaid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 9:35 am
Original Poster

I took advantage of some Starpicks last week and booked the Westin Market Street and W San Francisco this past weekend.

I prepaid with my SPG AmEx for the rooms.

Unfortuantely, AmEx suspected fraud on my account and issued me a new card which didn't arrivine in time for my stays so at check in I used my Mastercard which I didn't think would matter because I prepaid for the rooms.

However, the entire hotel charges showed up on my Mastercard and none of my AmEx so I'm out about 2000 SPG points ($1000 in charges).

Can i request that they credit my Mastercard and rebill my AmEx card?
Old May 27, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
Funny you should mention this. I booked a prepaid at the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton about 60 days ago. When I returned from my stay last week I was surprised to see a charge on my Amex the day I checked out. I looked back over my charge records and there was nothing posted when I made the reservation. Looking over the terms I think there is a no cancellation policy, maybe that's how they cover themselves.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:43 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
...Can i request that they credit my Mastercard and rebill my AmEx card?
Only the accounting department for the hotel(s) can tell you whether they can or can't.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 27, 2009, 9:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
This has happened to me twice - I prepay for a room, my card is charged, then after I check out I notice I got charged again.

Both times it was cleared up pretty quickly after contacting the hotel and faxing a copy of my CC activity with the original charge.

Call the Westin and ask to speak to the accounting/billing department.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I've never been charged more than once, but I'd estimate about half of my pre-pay reservations are charged when I book, and the other half are paid at check-out like a normal reservation. It does force me to be a little more diligent in figuring out if I paid for a stay 5 months ago when I booked it or if I have to pay for it at check-out.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Even if the rate rules says that the stay is prepaid and that the hotel will charge your cc upon completing the reservation it doesn't always happen. Prefer it this way.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I've booked many prepaid rates and usually it's billed upon check-out (and I'm sure would have been if I was a no-show), but it's not consistent even within the same property... I booked two separate prepaid, non-refundable stays at a Westin in Florida. Only one stay has been charged to my AMEX. Now I'm expecting a fight since there's no indication which stay has been "prepaid".
Old May 27, 2009, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Anyone have an email address for the W SF and Westin Market Street?
Old May 27, 2009, 10:24 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Anyone have an email address for the W SF and Westin Market Street?
Regrettably, I can't find one that is published for the W, but since I really discourage you from trying to do this by email, that might be a good thing.

There is one published on the web site for the Westin, but - again - I recommend calling them and not trying to do this via email.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old May 27, 2009, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Regrettably, I can't find one that is published for the W, but since I really discourage you from trying to do this by email, that might be a good thing.

There is one published on the web site for the Westin, but - again - I recommend calling them and not trying to do this via email.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

OK - thanks William.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I've booked many prepaid rates and usually it's billed upon check-out (and I'm sure would have been if I was a no-show), but it's not consistent even within the same property... I booked two separate prepaid, non-refundable stays at a Westin in Florida. Only one stay has been charged to my AMEX. Now I'm expecting a fight since there's no indication which stay has been "prepaid".
If both stays were charged to your AMEX your physical statement will have the details of the stay (check-in and check-out days).

If you don't want to wait for your statement you can always begin (you don't have to go all the way through) the dispute process and it will show you the actual details of the stay. I did this last month when I had multiple stays at the same Westin and I thought I was double charged.
Old May 27, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Happened to me a couple of times before as well.. booked prepaid rate and ended up being charged after my stay.. I just think of those rates now as a guaranteed payment to the hotel whether you show up or not...
Old May 27, 2009, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by tfung
Happened to me a couple of times before as well.. booked prepaid rate and ended up being charged after my stay.. I just think of those rates now as a guaranteed payment to the hotel whether you show up or not...
+1.
Old May 27, 2009, 8:52 pm

I had this happen at the 4 Points in Tempe last month when I got my folio the morning of departure. The clerk was perfectly nice, but said that "prepaid" rates through spg.com rarely "really" show up as prepaids; most all are charged at checkout. If that is truly the case, it would be nice if *wood either fixed the problem, or refined the wording to clarify that the charge would be on checkout or no-show. I didn't have to wait to talk with anyone when I checked out, but one of my goals in most hotels is to never have to run that gauntlet in the morning, particularly if others are waiting to settle their accounts. I like getting the folio slipped under the door and being on my way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.