Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Lurker: Would this be legal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Starwood Lurker: Would this be legal?

I own a Westin Maui timeshare which I may not be using next year because my friends want to go on a family trip to Europe next summer. We can't bank points for the following year, so we either use it or lose it. I really don't want to go to the hassle of renting it (but will if I have to) and I'm not eligible to convert it to StarPoints because I bought it resale.

So I'm wondering if it would violate any T&Cs of SPG.com if I offered up my TS in exchange for an SPG member booking European hotels on my behalf?
I know that Marriott allows me to book rooms in someone else's name. I can't find anywhere on the SPG site that allows or prohibits this, so that would be my first hurdle.

I know we can't sell StarPoints, but I'm wondering if this would be kosher and, if so, could I list it in the Coupon Connection? I am an above-board player and don't want to do anything that isn't perfectly legal.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
What you're describing sounds a lot like bartering, which is explicitly prohibited by the SPG T&Cs.

8.6. Awards believed by us to have been bartered, sold, or issued to someone other than the eligible recipient are void and will not be honored.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: SVO, SPG Gold, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
I would rent it. I got some nice bank for my Harborside unit in 2008
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
Go to tug2.net
They have lots of information on timeshares and a forum that
can help you with questions about renting/trading or depositing
your week with another exchange company that would give you
more time. There is a whole section on starwood timeshares
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I actively participate in Tug. I was trying to come up with a plan that doesn't involve exchanging in II. I own an ocean front villa so it doesn't make fiscal sense for me to exchange it in II.

I guess that means I'm stuck renting....

Thanks for the help.

NotThatTed, thanks for the T&C clip. Where did you find that on the SPG website. I looked for it but couldn't find it.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Recreation
Where did you find that on the SPG website. I looked for it but couldn't find it.
In his post, the "8.6" is a hyperlink - https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe..._terms.html#11
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Recreation
I own a Westin Maui timeshare which I may not be using next year because my friends want to go on a family trip to Europe next summer. We can't bank points for the following year, so we either use it or lose it. I really don't want to go to the hassle of renting it (but will if I have to) and I'm not eligible to convert it to StarPoints because I bought it resale.

So I'm wondering if it would violate any T&Cs of SPG.com if I offered up my TS in exchange for an SPG member booking European hotels on my behalf?
I know that Marriott allows me to book rooms in someone else's name. I can't find anywhere on the SPG site that allows or prohibits this, so that would be my first hurdle.

I know we can't sell StarPoints, but I'm wondering if this would be kosher and, if so, could I list it in the Coupon Connection? I am an above-board player and don't want to do anything that isn't perfectly legal.
Dearest Recreation,

As I am not sure about the legal issues myself, I have seeked assistance with regards to your enquiry.

According to the T&Cs of the SPG program,

1.5 Starpoints, Award certificates or other Membership benefits may not be sold, bartered or transferred (other than by us or our agents). Any attempted transfer, sale or barter by you or on your behalf will be void. We and/or our Program affiliates may refuse to honor or recognize any Starpoints, Award certificates or Membership benefits which we or they conclude have been transferred, sold or bartered.”

Therefore, members can not trade or barter his/her SVO timeshare for Starpoints or Free Night awards with another member.

It would be advisable that the member contact SVO to verify his/her options with the timeshare.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.