Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Cancun 2006-2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA,
Arrow Le Meridien Cancun 2006-2007 [Master Thread]

I would like to take a moment to recount my experience with booking the Le Meridian Cancun for next week, 5/28/2006-5/31/2006.

I am Amex Plat, SPG gold (through Amex Plat) and basic member of Leading Hotels Of The World, so I tried all three booking engines to try and get an affordable rate. I am booking 2 rooms.

Amex Plat:$3240 plus taxes total
I called American Express platinum desk and received the rate of $540 per night per room with the FHR amenities, I understand that the 28th is expensive (Memorial day weekend), but the rate of $540 was continued for 28th, 29th and 30th.

SPG.com : $2544
Quoted me $424 per night per room, again high rate of $424 was quoted for the entire 3 nights, if I had put the 29th - 31st in the booking engine the price dropped to $239 per night, Why wasnt I given $424 for the first night and then $239 for the remaining nights.

Leading Hotels Of The World: $1314.00
Was quoted and booked a rate of $239 per room per night (28th and 29th) and then $179 per room per night (30th). I was given a superior room for this rate, but with Amex Plat and SPG gold I may have a good chance of being upgraded to the next category.

This is my experience with booking this hotel and shows that it is worth taking the time in researching all available avenues of booking your hotel accom. whether it is SPG or any other hotel for that matter.

Has anyone being at the Le Meridian Cancun recently, anyone want to recount their experience there after hurricane Wilma.

Thank you
Kasop
Old May 30, 2006, 12:26 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Hi Kasop-
You chose a great hotel. I was at Le Meredien in March and according to the lady who checked me in- I wastheir 1st Starwood Platinum Member since they joined Starwood. (I was there on the 2nd day after starting to accept SPG members.)

I found the beach to be changed, but not in a bad way. It did have a bit of a drop but on the plus side, the waves were amazing. I've been to Cancun over 11 times and this was my 3rd time at Le Meridien and it is still at the top of my list.

The rooms were well appointed and as soon as I got there, they took me to another floor to check me in. They offered me a cool cloth and mango juice and told me I was on the Club Floor where each night they offer drinks and goodies, and a Continental Breakfast in the am. My suite was on another floor but I had access to the Club Floor at all times.

As I sat at the little desk, they checked me in and told me right away that I had been upgraded to a suite. It was quite nice- overlooking the sea and a well-sized living room with a bedroom to the back so as to cut down on hotel noise. The bathroom was wonderful- all marble (as has been every Cancun hotel I've been in, but this one was well-sized) and there is a tub and walk-in shower. The comfy robes were nice, as usual, but the slippers were well-used by the time I left. I still wear them at home!

There was a wet-bar and each night as they turned down my bed, they left me two little cookies and a report for the next day with weather and even water temps.

I was too sunburned to use the spa this trip, but in past I had the best massage of my life at their spa. I think it is called Spa Del Mar- and they also have exercise rooms and American tv stations.

The pools were my favorite part. As I had been there before I knew it was a great hotel, but I'd forgotten how warm the pools are. I had just come from another hotel, Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach, and hadn't swam in their pools b/c they were too cold. Not so at Meridien. In fact, it feels so good on a sunburn that I spent hours just soaking in the pool and reading!

I was traveling alone so I ate room service most nights and the food was very good. The concierge was top-notch, the lady who checked me in was superb and the ammenities were the best. My bathroom had Hermes soap (only the 1st night- it wasn't replaced) and Le Meridien Hermes Perfume! I was SURE they were for sale but was told that they were complimenta ry.

The hurricane, as told to me by the lady who checked me in, pretty much left them unscathed compared to the other hotels. All in all, it was very much a comfortable place to stay and the employees were more friendly than I ever encountered. I travel a LOT and will say that this particular stay is quite memorable b/c of the friendliness of the staff. Even the bartender in the Club Floor Area remembered that I didn't drink and on the 2nd night, he had a diet sprite with cherry and orange ready for me! I also made a lot of friends at the Club Floor Happy Hour.

I think you'll enjoy the hotel and if you get an upgrade to a suite- enjoy it! I am SO glad they joined the SPG family. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me!
Old May 30, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I, for one, am thoroughly pleased to hear the positive review at this property. We are taking my Dad here in Jan 2007 and, in all, we will take 3 rooms for 5 nights -- 2 of which are held by Plat members (me and my brother!).

This hotel has quietly risen to the top of the Cancun offerings now for some years and has largely remained below the radar. Now that it folds into the SPG network, it will be interesting to see how it changes, if at all.

Regardless, I am pleased to read about the early Plat recognition and surely hope that it continues while we're there.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA,
Le Meridian

Just got back from Le Meridian Cancun, was okay, styaed in better Starwood Properties and other hotels in Cancun.

Did not get upgraded and desk didnt even know that Gold *wood members are entitled to a space available upgrade, had to have Starwood call the front desk. In any case I did not get upgraded as there was no space available.

Beach, Spa and hotel are all pretty much back to normal, one thing that bothered me a lot was that the rooms were extremely damp. So damp that buttons on my blackberry were sticking. I am familiar with Cancun and know that it is a very humid area but it was very uncomfortable sleeping, slight musty smell in the room also.

I will be writing Le Meridian and Starwood regarding the room dampness.

Overall the hotel is okay - service excellent of course, beach is beautiful, pool area is big and spacious (plenty of room and lounge chairs) but was a little disappointed that I did not get upgraded to at least a room with a balcony and the room dampness.

I am looking forward for when the RC reopens in Cancun, now that is a hotel!!

Kasop
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
This is a timely thread as I just returned from staying at the Le Meridien Cancun with a guest for 2 nights over Memorial Day Weekend. Having stayed at "another" resort for the first 2 nights (to "check it out"), our check-in at Le Meridien was Sunday and our check-out was Tuesday.

Overall, I have a very postive recommendation for this property and we enjoyed our stay. I do have a couple of things on which to comment.

I went to check-in at the reception desk and was told that my check-in would be taken care of at the Concierge Desk because I had Royal Club privileges (being SPG Platinum). I was not, however, taken to the Club Floors to check-in, nor was I given a suite upgrade. However, given that I checked in during the middle of a 3-day holiday weekend, I did not set my expectations for a suite upgrade as I figured they had probably been taken already. We were presented with hot finger towels and mango juice as previously mentioned (above).

Issue 1
No more than 15-minutes after arriving in the room, the front desk called asking me to bring my reservation down. Apparently, I had booked online indicating 1-Adult instead of 2-Adults. I am so used to there not being a difference between 1 or 2 adults in a room in the US that usually just surf the web using the default 1-Adult setting when looking for rates. Well, I had booked the Le Meridien Break Rate, which included breakfast and the hotel wanted to charge me an additional $25.00 (US) per day for the 2nd person. I don't know about everyone else, but paying $25.00 for breakfast kind of irks me...probably since I usually skip it anyway. I responded saying that I just didn't want the breakfast. They were ok with that but said that they would charge the additional charge if I tried to use it...fine.

COMMENT/CAUTION #1: When staying under a rate which includes breakfast, be sure that your reservation correctly indicates the number of people staying!

Issue 2
Deciding that we were hungry, we went down to the restaurant for a light meal which consisted of 3 appetizers. We thought a refreshing drink would be in order so we asked if they served Belllini's. Yes. After two Bellini's in small champagne flutes, we thought two more were in order for a total of 4. When we received the bill it was $129.00 (US)!!!! We were never presented a drink menu and expected that the drinks would be $10-15 (US). No...$25 per glass! It was Moet and Chandon that we drank (about one-half of a bottle in all) and I later noticed that I could get a whole bottle out at the pool for $27.50 (US). What a rip-off!

COMMENT/CAUTION #2: Don't order the Bellini's unless you like paying $25.00 / glass. (Unless someone else is paying!)

Other than my two comments above, which can ultimately only be contributed to my own fault, the rest of the stay went very well. I enjoyed a "Balance" massage at the spa and spent the rest of the time lounging outside.

Oh yes, one final criticism is that the turn-down service was somewhat lacking in quality.
1. The first night, there was none.
2. The second night, they showed up at 11:30 pm after I had already retired for the evening.

As I said above, my overall recommendation is a positive one and the hotel does appear to try very hard to please everyone. I'm certain I'll return!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Sydfly
So, how does the location of the Le Meridien compare to the Westin? How far are they apart and how quiet would the Le Meridien be and the beach there?
The Le Meridien has an enviable position. Here's why: it is located in an exceptionally central spot but not in a crowded sort of way. It has exceptional neighbors (meaning high end resort hotels). If you've not been to Cancun before, it's important to know that it is, essentially, one very long strip of oceanfront. At the southernmost point, and nearest to the airport, is the Westin and the road then goes for maybe 10-12 miles further north with nothing but monstrous hotel after the next. The place I would detest being is in the midst of what I call the "drinking zone." It's not as far as downtown, per se, but it where there is a massive culmination of noise, traffic, and people that goes well into the wee hours. Hotels like the NH Krystal are in this area.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about the location of the Meridien. And the only complaint about the Westin's location is that it is the furthest most (save for the Club Med, which is adjacent) hotel from the action of the city. However, many folks never even go downtown while here, so take that comment for what it's worth.

Lastly, the Meridien's central strip location is reasonably close to the existing (yet still closed for months) Sheraton.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:27 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Originally Posted by Sydfly
So, how does the location of the Le Meridien compare to the Westin? How far are they apart and how quiet would the Le Meridien be and the beach there?
As OP AND someone who just left Le Meridien, I can tell you wholeheartedly that Meridien is MUCH nicer. Not that Westin will not regain its glory, but it was a nice, simple hotel, good for a quiet weekend, IMO. Now, Meridien is IMO, classier and they lucked out and weren't very damaged by the Hurricane. I was upgraded to the Penthouse level to a lovelu suite (8th floor-the top) and given Club priveleges, along with superior staff and gorgeous pools that were never overcrowded. I could go on forever- I JUST walked in 10 minutes ago and miss it already!

If Continental hadn't been so ridiculous about changing my ticket so I could stay 2 extra days- I would still be there! If you have any questions about either hotel, PM me and I'm happy to provide photos of the Westin as it is now.

As far as how they compare- Meridien is nicer, smaller, more upscale and the spa is VERY nice. I had an amazing massage there. The hotel was so nice that I stayed there all 3 days, never leaving once! I bought souveniers at the airport!

I have new photos of both properties so just let me know if anyone wants to see them. I'm off to bed with my sunburn (the pool area is SO nice it is hard to leave and I overdid it this morning) but I will get my pictures uploaded when I get up.

Having said all this, I really do love the Westin, it just is NOT ready for visitors and I was not contacted to say it wasn't ready. Their version of "ready" and mine are very different. I feel like I was in a sense, tricked, and deserve a refund, but I won't pursue it. I feel for them. (I also feel for the money I lost there!)

For the person who has reservations- if they're for the upcoming few weeks, I would change them to Meridien. If you want to go outside of Starwood you can go to Fiesta American Grand Coral Beach- IMO the best situated hotel- close to most things. But don't stay at Westin. Even IF they fixed TV on the ocean side, they still have only 2 floors open and work going on everywhere. As you can't use the Club side (timeshares only) you really would be wasting time and money. I have raved about Westin Cancun before b/c I had some great stays and great upgrades there. But that was then, this is now. I'm sorry you have to change again but honestly, I can't imagine anyone being happy with this hotel as it is. I'm sure it'll be back, but until then, try another hotel. Meridien has some good rates right now- they're usually a bit pricey (still worth it) but I got a rate of $209 a night- cheapest I ever paid there.

I plan to do a review of it because I was so impressed again (I was just there in March) and if you've got any questions, feel free to PM me!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Le Meridien Cancun on Points

The wife and I just booked a stay from Feb. 15-18th using points at Le Meridien in Cancun. I am platinum and wondering if anyone has ever used points at this property, and how were you treated? Did you get lounge access? Suite upgrades, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat.
Le Meridian Cancun (From a Platinum on free nights)

Upon arrival, my initial impression was not the best. We had asked for early check in but not only was the room not ready upon our arrival but it was not even ready at 3Pm which is the normal check in time... but then I must say the rest of the it surpassed all expectations..

Rooms: We were upgraded to a deluxe room on the 7th floor.. beautiful marble bathrooms.. beds were just ok.. but nice couch and balcony

Outside: The three pools with all different temperatures are wonderful.. the chairs are very comfortable.. the jacuzzi out there does leave some to be desired since it is in the pool.. but highly recommend going into the Spa..

Spa: the spa facilities are free for platinums as well as free if you get a treatment.. and are amazing.. jacuzzi, plunge pool, sauna and steam bath.. great way to spend some time if the weather is not perfect.. plus the massages and facials were both great.. plus they had an "end of season specials" so the prices were quite reasonable.. less than $150 for a massage and facial

The Royal club (again included for plats) had a more then decent continental breakfast (recommend always getting a bottled water or soda to take away. THe evening food and drinks are great from 5 to 7... especially considering a margarita runs you $13 by the pool and is free here.. also they always remembered our names and were so helpful!!!

Food: can't say too much here as my husband and I llike to eat off property but the lunch we had was great.. (I highly recommend Laguna Grill for dinner) you can walk from the hotel although it is a good 15 minutes..

Location: was great.. easy to walk to a few restaurants.. and two bus stops..

Overall we loved it here.. and especially after going to the westin for the next 2 days.. realized how nice it was..

I will add a trip report on Westin cancun later today or tomorrow but hope this helps.. feel free to let me know if you have any questions!!
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I have an award stay book at Christmas. This is the reply I received from the LM CUN.
... Regarding your question, as SPG Platinum member, Royal Club amenities are included and upgrade is subject to availability upon arrival.
You reserved Superior and the next room category is Deluxe room.
Looks like they don't do suites upgrades as they go for $2,000/night.
Allocated From 2-5 Floor.1160 Sqf,Front Ocean View,Balcony,D Ining Room,Living Room,Minikitchenette,2 Bedrooms
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS-MM 75K, Marriott Plat Lifetime, SPG Plat Lifetime, HH Gold
Trip Report: Le Meridien Cancun

Stay dates: 11/18/06 to 11/23/06.

This was an award stay, the wife is a plat with SPG, they recognized her as a plat, checkin was quick. We got a room on the 6th floor, that's where the lounge is.

The room: We got a 2 Q beds room, very nice I must say. The room has marble flooring, the bathroom was marble too with separate shower and tub. Very upscale toiletries (the wife says l'occitane is upscale). We had the ocean view (or should say the sea view) room facing the parnassus. We were told at check-in that the south facing side has to deal with the construction noise. There's a new resort coming up between the Le and JW. Very few rooms face the sea directly, though all the rooms have a sea view. Ask for rooms facing the north or the Parnussus if you go there.
Room service was excellent and so was the turn-down service. This hotel makes you feel like you are in an upscale hotel.

The hotel: The hotel has a very nice feel to it. Compared to the other hotels on the strip this must be the smallest hotel there. The spa is just amazing. It's free for the plats. Once we discovered the hot/cold/steam baths in the spa we found ourselves going there every evening. The wife got a massage there and she loved it. The 3 pools are laid out in an interesting manner and the hot tub (more like a warm tub) was always full of people.
The lounge is really nice, the people attending the lounge are very friendly. The food was good (even though we are vegetarians). It's pretty much the same fare for vegetarians - some very delicious and rich cookies, chips, salsa, guacamole [very tasty]. The hot item kept changing everyday - this was meat everyday so no comment there. There are some cold cuts and some wraps as well. Drinks are also provided but not much of a drinker so no comment there as well. The hotel is close to a bus stop.

The restaurant: Aioli. Simply put - amazing food. They didnt have anything vegetarian on the menu so the chef prepared special meals for us. There was live music being played (cello), the sound was very rich and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner there.

I loved everything about this hotel except the Budget car rental people. They were not interested in getting my business at all.

All in all - highly recommended hotel. I didn't like Cancun at all but I will check for a Le Meridien wherever I go next.
Thanks

Last edited by magiclamp; Dec 13, 2006 at 5:20 pm
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Thanks for the Great Review...

...I have a couple of questions...the wife and I are headed down to Le Meridien for 3 nights in Feb. on points...good to know you get upgraded to the lounge.
Is the alcohol free in the lounge? Do they allow you to take bottled water out of the lounge? How about internet access? Available in the lounge, or in the room for a fee?
What kind of shape is the beach in ? We are more pool people, but I hear topless is frowned upon by the pool...being my wife is european, she doesn't really get why...:-). Can you comment if you saw any topless by the pool or on the beach?
Did you eat by the pool at all? If so are the prices reasonable?

Thanks again,

bsdstone
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
...What kind of shape is the beach in ? We are more pool people, but I hear topless is frowned upon by the pool...being my wife is european, she doesn't really get why...:-). Can you comment if you saw any topless by the pool or on the beach?
Did you eat by the pool at all? If so are the prices reasonable?

Thanks again,

bsdstone
I just got back fm CUN last week. Stayed at the Westin but we took a long walk up the beach and the beach is fine. They pumped lots of sand back onto the beach. IMHO, the beach in front of the Westin is much nicer. We did see a few folks trying to go topless but the life guards put the lid on that. I did unfortunately see lots of overweight topless men, and that was not pleasant! Where's a life guard when you need 'em.

There was one young lady down toward the Club Med that went topless (again, life guard came over to her, even though she was not with in 100 feet of anyone else,) I was advised by the misses to redirect my eyes elsewhere.

Last edited by toadman; Dec 13, 2006 at 5:15 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS-MM 75K, Marriott Plat Lifetime, SPG Plat Lifetime, HH Gold
Alcohol is free in the lounge
They do let you take water out of the lounge (not food though)\
No internet access in the lounge, only in the room ($25/day - OUCH)
Nice pool, but nobody topless at the pool or the beach
Did not eat by the pool
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by toadman
There was one young lady down toward the Club Med that went topless (again, life guard came over to her, even though she was not with in 100 feet of anyone else,) I was advised by the misses to redirect my eyes elsewhere.
Beach at the Club Med area has always been topless. I guess no more. One wonders if topless is still allowed on site there --- it ALWAYS was in the past....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.