Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:45 pm

They are actually the same size, that information is a little misleading, but one has the balcony (Astor) while the other has a sunroom of sorts instead of the balcony therefore, adding more room space. I would recommend the St. Regis suite because although the patio is nice in the Astor, it doesn't have enough seating for your group, or table space and they can't add any additional from what we were told last time.

The one thing to keep in mind is that with all the suites here, it seems like an early check-in is nearly impossible. I don't know if SPG Platinum members like the hotel a lot and opt for late check-outs, but I have had to wait past check-in time the past two times we stayed.

Since you will be getting a Butler with that room, they may be able to help you with your selection of rooms, and any planning for the group. I think the e-mail is on the website. But, they e-mailed us before our stays.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
The Astor is bigger once you count the balcony, plus everyone likes to hang outside. If not just host it poolside next to the outdoor fireplace.
Originally Posted by Puppenstein
They are actually the same size, that information is a little misleading, but one has the balcony (Astor) while the other has a sunroom of sorts instead of the balcony therefore, adding more room space. I would recommend the St. Regis suite because although the patio is nice in the Astor, it doesn't have enough seating for your group, or table space and they can't add any additional from what we were told last time.

The one thing to keep in mind is that with all the suites here, it seems like an early check-in is nearly impossible. I don't know if SPG Platinum members like the hotel a lot and opt for late check-outs, but I have had to wait past check-in time the past two times we stayed.

Since you will be getting a Butler with that room, they may be able to help you with your selection of rooms, and any planning for the group. I think the e-mail is on the website. But, they e-mailed us before our stays.
Thanks for the input guys. Currently leaning to the Astor suite, having the open air is a big draw. Heading down there in a couple weeks for the engagement party which is taking place at the St. Regis (tho im not staying there this time). May ask if the rooms are open if i can take a look at them to compare, and book based on that.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Thanks for the input guys. Currently leaning to the Astor suite, having the open air is a big draw. Heading down there in a couple weeks for the engagement party which is taking place at the St. Regis (tho im not staying there this time). May ask if the rooms are open if i can take a look at them to compare, and book based on that.
Look at the pictures on the website and decide. The suites are booked 99% of the time and like I said, are popular for late check-outs, so you won't be able to see them. The Astor is nice for the balcony, but if you are there when the pool is open, you may just want to meet down there. There are some pictures on the tripadvisor site too. We attempted to see the different suites during other stays, and never had luck until we actually booked them. The Astors are always booked.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
My review of the St. Regis Atlanta below, originally posted here: Weekend Blitz - The St. Regis Buckhead – Atlanta, Georgia. Hopefully some will find it useful!

The St. Regis Atlanta - Starwood Category 6
Eighty-Eight West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta,Georgia 30305 United States
Award Redemption: 20,000 pts or 10,000 pts +$180
Normal rate: Varies b/t $385-$485, average around $450 + tax
Starpoints return: 1.9 cents points - 3.0 cents/point = below average – average return

Booking/Check-in

I booked the base “Superior Room” at appx 2 weeks before check-in and received a corporate rate of $275. When we arrived, the check-in agent was very polite and extremely enthusiastic and happy to see us–a great trait to have as an employee that has dozens of check-ins/check-outs per day. He confirmed that we were in a “Superior Room” and offered us the welcome amenity of either 500 Starwood points, a $19 voucher per person to be used towards breakfast or a bottle of house wine (we took the $19 voucher). When I asked about the possibility of an upgrade, I was told that all they had available was the “Superior Room” that we had booked and, while skeptical at first, we discovered that a huge wedding was taking place that weekend and it appeared that they were near 100% occupancy. Quick note: Parking is valet only and costs $32/night with unlimited in/out.

Lobby

Superior Room - (440 square feet) — BOOKED and RECEIVED
Deluxe Room - (440 square feet) – w/ A small Juliette Balcony
Grand Deluxe Room - (440 square feet) – privacy of a furnished balcony
Metropolitan Suite - (680 square feet) – 8 total – complete with a large bedroom and an inviting sitting area furnished with a sofa and armchairs
Caroline Astor Suite - (680 square feet)
St. Regis Suite - (1,000 square feet) – 19 total
Empire Suite - (2,800 square feet) – 1 total

The Room

We made our way to the elevator, then up to the 9th floor. The St. Regis Hotel occupies the first few floors and the St. Regis Residences have claim to the preferred higher floors.

Not sure how you make a hallway sexy but you managed to do it, St. Regis

Upon entering the 440 sq ft room, you first come across the “entry” or foyer–because no luxury hotel in their right mind would forgo this formal greeting area.

To think of all of noses that have been powered here

Although stuck slumming it in the base/standard room, it is a St. Regis standard room after all. This equates to highly automated luxury everywhere.

Floor plan of a “Superior Room”

Finally making it to the bedroom, we found a very well decorated and homey feeling room. Everything was in terrific shape with a rather “sturdy” feel throughout.

Pardon me, Lady Grantham, I’ll be on the Chaise Lounge

The room is highly automated: all of the lights are one-button touch control with a few different settings to set whatever mood you’re trying to set. The A/C and the lights were controllable bedside as well via the phone system.

View of Buckhead from the bedroom window

The Bathroom

I always hate it when a hotel is nicer than my own apartment; I hate it even more when it’s much nicer. This St. Regis Atlanta fits in this category. You’ll enter to the dual-sink marble vanity. And, it wouldn’t be a St. Regis without a TV built into the mirror–because who doesn’t want to watch TV while shaving? This might be the single-most item that has completely spoiled me and made adapting back to normal, 99%-er real life totally miserable. #FirstWorldProblems….

The oversized tub comes complete with bath salts (not the kind that, if inhaled, will turn you into a flesh eating zombie–for better or worse) and resort-style French Door panels that open up to the bedroom.

Resort-style panels that open up to the bedroom

All surfaces are elegantly tiled, including the shower and bathroom.

The Gym

The gym is above average and on par with St. Regis’ standards. Other than that, not much to say here– didn’t use it but looks like it would get the job done:

Gym windows overlooking the pool

Lobby/Bars/Restaurants/Room-service

As with all St. Regis’, they had the ceremonial champagne sabering (learn all you want to know and more about “saberage” here: Wiki article). The St. Regis participates because it somehow pays homage to the St. Regis family? I participate because I get free champagne.

Astor Court Review

As a Starwood Platinum member, we were offered an amenity at check-in and took the vouchers for “complimentary continental breakfast.” The St. Regis Atlanta handles this by basically giving you up to $19 to spend per guest (a max of 2 guests) at the Astor Court restaurant.

The tone was really set when we sat down and McCown was offered a “lint free napkin” whatever the hell that means…the waiter further insisted, “we can get you a black napkin, if necessary.” I suppose this was since she was wearing black pants? Either way, I’m all for #firstworldproblems but let’s take it down a notch, St. Regis. I think we’ll cope with the lint.

Most of the choices on the menu are in the $14-18 range, with a few near $26 so, by the time you add coffee, tax and tip, you’ve quickly blown through your $19 voucher which really begs the question: how do they think that $19 covers breakfast?

I ordered the FINEST LOBSTER FRITTATA ($26) because, well, why not? Apart from lobster and egg, it comes with fingerling potatoes, asparagus and herbs topped with a “Bloody Mary” salad and fresh horseradish. Again, why not? At first, I found there to be too much Bloody Mary salad celery on top but not enough tomato/spice taste. The lobster was somewhat chewy, but that figures. In fact, the whole thing was a little chewy/spongy, but it actually started to grow on me. It was packed with lots of potatoes, asparagus and some cheese. The lobster meat was hard to find but, when I found it, was great.

FINEST LOBSTER FRITTATA ($26)

McCown went for the SUMPTUOUS ST. REGIS OMELET ($18): fall mushrooms, herbs, white truffle oil, creme fraiche and an artisan cheese. It was great; such a juicy, moist and very well-cooked omelette. Basically, truffle oil galore with excellent mushrooms. And, anything with truffle oil is perfect.

The Astor Court restaurant was enjoyable, no doubt. It made sense to eat with our $38 worth of vouchers. I doubt I would go out of my way to come here as a local, but wouldn’t have a problem returning as a hotel guest.

Service

As with just about any St. Regis, the service was outstanding. The check-in agent really seemed to go out of his way to be polite and enthusiastic and all other interactions with service staff were great, although none memorable, for better or worse.

When we came back to our room after the turn-down service, there was a shoe shine bag on the bed with a note announcing a complimentary shoe shine–uh, yes please. Similar to my teeth and the dentist, the only time these suckers get a deep clean is when someone else does it:

Sure enough, when we got back from breakfast, some freshly shined shoes were waiting for me:

BOTTOM LINE: Give me the St. Regis Atlanta any day. An upgrade would have been awesome, but I’ll never complain about their lowest-tier room. Never.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
My review of the St. Regis Atlanta below, originally posted here: Weekend Blitz - The St. Regis Buckhead – Atlanta, Georgia. Hopefully some will find it useful!

Wow! What an awesome review. Thank you. I concur with all you said as I have stayed here several times and once even getting upgraded to the Astor suite.

I would add that while expensive I find that with the $19 voucher I can eat like a king for just a few bucks extra.

Once again, thanks for that review.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:49 pm
Suspended

I heard there was an electrical fire on the 5th floor a few weeks back.....anyone know if this is true?
Old May 31, 2015, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Staying here this week on an ABA rate. Included is complimentary continental breakfast. Is the CCI still a $19 voucher? How does this work?

Look forward to staying at ATL's best hotel
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

After three bookings and three cancellations, I finally made it to the St. Regis ATL. Gorgeous hard product (maybe the prettiest St. Regis lobby I've seen in awhile). That said, this is some of the coldest service I've had. It's going to be an interesting stay.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by pricesquire
After three bookings and three cancellations, I finally made it to the St. Regis ATL. Gorgeous hard product (maybe the prettiest St. Regis lobby I've seen in awhile). That said, this is some of the coldest service I've had. It's going to be an interesting stay.
Please take and share pictures.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Visa Signature, SPG Gold
FYI, this property will be undergoing a complete renovation of all the rooms this year. I assume it will be done floor by floor.

We usually stay here a few times a year for weekend getaways, and some of the rooms are definitely showing wear and tear, so the renovation is well-timed.

I also didn't see anyone mention Atlas Restaurant, which has been open about two years. It is an excellent choice for a high-end dinner. It is located across the hall from the bar.

Still a great hotel overall.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Universal
FYI, this property will be undergoing a complete renovation of all the rooms this year. I assume it will be done floor by floor.

We usually stay here a few times a year for weekend getaways, and some of the rooms are definitely showing wear and tear, so the renovation is well-timed.

I also didn't see anyone mention Atlas Restaurant, which has been open about two years. It is an excellent choice for a high-end dinner. It is located across the hall from the bar.

Still a great hotel overall.
Has the renovation been completed yet? I'll finally be staying here in March 2018. Looking forward to it and to dinner at Atlas.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do they still do the evening "saboring" of the champagne bottle ritual? The Atlanta StR was the first time I saw this--I've since participated in Shanghai and some other locations--and it was done well, in the hallway outside of the bar where there was a display window about their wine cellar.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:14 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do they still do the evening "saboring" of the champagne bottle ritual? The Atlanta StR was the first time I saw this--I've since participated in Shanghai and some other locations--and it was done well, in the hallway outside of the bar where there was a display window about their wine cellar.
I always assumed they do that at all StR...though I can't say I've paid much attention to it or found it as exciting as others.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 18, 2017 at 9:19 pm
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I always assumed they do they at all StR...though I can't say I've paid much attention to it or found it as exciting as others.
I find it fun to watch if doing so is convenient for me. Some hotels/staff seem to make it a big show, which is nice to watch in addition to getting the glass of champagne, while others give the impression that they would rather not bother.

IIRC I've stayed in some StR properties that did not do it, while others only do it on certain days. Shanghai (the old StR which is now the Hongta LC place) called it a nightly ritual back in the day under one manager, while I don't recall them doing it at all when two or three previous managers were at the helm......and I've stayed here enough that I think I would have noticed and managed to attend on at least one evening during this period.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Visa Signature, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Has the renovation been completed yet? I'll finally be staying here in March 2018. Looking forward to it and to dinner at Atlas.
It is underway but not completed yet. I would assume at least some floors will be done by March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.