Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drron
Yesterday 2 people were sent back to their room to don appropriate footwear.One was not pleased.
As well the menu states at the bottom that you can pay for breakfast in Rossinis.780 baht +++ for Continental and 980 baht+++ for Continental + one item from the menu of cooked dishes.The One is highlighted on the menu.Why should a complimentary breakfast be any different?It has done so since I remember first using Rossini's for breakfast.
I don't think anyone was arguing that the complimentary breakfast for Rossini's should be different to the paid version. People have simply been saying that there should be a review of the Rossini's breakfast, perhaps to include 2 possible choices from the menu, for example a main dish and something sweet to finish (waffles, pancakes, French toast), as well as more flexibility with the choice of egg dishes, for example, steak + choice of eggs.

Just because something has been done for many years doesn't mean it shouldn't be reviewed from time to time based on customer feedback. There are new SPG Platinum members like myself (and many others on here I presume) who bring their experiences from other hotel chains and I'm sure all of us have a desire to make SGS even better than it apparently is (I haven't stayed there yet).
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The counter argument is that bearing in mind the SGS already has two other options for all you can eat, having one venue where higher quality and price ingredients can be used for the same cost per guest allows variety and choice which I would otherwise be missing.

A Rossini combo of a savoury and a sweet dish together would probably come to at least 2,000 calories in any case, so isn’t really something that most guests should be considering on a regular basis.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Rant today with SGS.

Im regular customer, first time as Platinum. Checked in today.
SNA did not clear, room same as I was basic SPG member (the girl pretended high floor but 26 is even less i got usually ). Disappointed to say the least.

Will consider other SPG hotel in BKK as first choice from now.
​​​​
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
When I dine at a buffet, I expect to be able to pick whatever I want to eat and have as much of it as I prefer. I get that at the Orchid Cafe.

When I dine in a restaurant and am ordering off a menu, I expect to be charged for each separate item I order off the menu. That's how restaurants work.

At Rossini's, the cost of breakfast (whether I am paying the posted charge or it is included as part of my benefits) includes one item off the menu. I don't expect to be able to go into a restaurant and order as many things as I like off a menu without additional charge.

People seem to want to treat Rossini's like a buffet, which it is not. You want two things off the menu? Offer to pay for the second item. Just like any other restaurant.

Rossini's goes further, however. In addition to the menu options, they have other items buffet style so you can get as much as those items you like.

I am not really seeing the issue here. You want all you can eat? Go to the Orchid Cafe and gorge yourself. You want a restaurant experience? Go to Rossini's and pay by the item off the menu.

I am frankly not seeing the issue here.
bgriff likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
Rant today with SGS.

SNA did not clear, room same as I was basic SPG member (the girl pretended high floor but 26 is even less i got usually ). Disappointed to say the least.

​​​​
It is a popular hotel. People are actually paying for the suites. They can't give you what is not available.

So basically you are complaining that you are receiving what you paid for, but will still receive all the other Platinum benefits (breakfast (including in Rossini's); free internet; evening cocktails; two pieces of laundry per-day, per person registered in the room). The SGS is not perfect, but it is so generous to Platinums paying the lowest level room rate that I can't imagine staying elsewhere (and I have stayed at all the other Starwood properties in Bangkok other than the W). YMMV.

In case you are not aware, ALL the rooms in the hotel are the same. What differentiates them is the level of benefits that accompany the rate paid. Floor 26 is not floor 32, but it is not floor 11 either. I assume you are facing Lake Ratchada and not the city?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:34 am

Just wondering, is it possible to partake in the buffet and a main at Rossini’s and then proceed down to The Orchid Cafe and finish off breakfast with a waffle or pancake? Do they keep track of guests across three breakfast venues and even if they do, are we allowed to “double dip”?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
It is a popular hotel. People are actually paying for the suites. They can't give you what is not available.

So basically you are complaining that you are receiving what you paid for, but will still receive all the other Platinum benefits (breakfast (including in Rossini's); free internet; evening cocktails; two pieces of laundry per-day, per person registered in the room). The SGS is not perfect, but it is so generous to Platinums paying the lowest level room rate that I can't imagine staying elsewhere (and I have stayed at all the other Starwood properties in Bangkok other than the W). YMMV.

In case you are not aware, ALL the rooms in the hotel are the same. What differentiates them is the level of benefits that accompany the rate paid. Floor 26 is not floor 32, but it is not floor 11 either. I assume you are facing Lake Ratchada and not the city?
I understand that.
I never had a room facing the city ever. Booking with SPG or not.

Most benefit will be useless for me (for many reason). I will not use it. My rant is just as there very few difference as before i was platinum.

Fidelity worth it or not ? that's the question... Only.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
Just wondering, is it possible to partake in the buffet and a main at Rossini’s and then proceed down to The Orchid Cafe and finish off breakfast with a waffle or pancake? Do they keep track of guests across three breakfast venues and even if they do, are we allowed to “double dip”?
Not sure. Never tried it. I frankly wouldn't want to eat that much at breakfast, but that's me. To each their own.

I understand that.
I never had a room facing the city ever. Booking with SPG or not.

Most benefit will be useless for me (for many reason). I will not use it. My rant is just as there very few difference as before i was platinum.

Fidelity worth it or not ? that's the question... Only.
You have been lucky. More than 1/3 of the rooms face the city (8 of 19 on each floor).

Your focus seems to be on suite upgrades, which is important to me as well. Fidelity doesn't seem to help much in that regard. Even trying to use Suite Night Upgrades, my upgrade percentage since the renovations started through the present has been very poor, and I have a whole bunch of nights/stays at the SGS.

If the Platinum benefits being offered are not attractive to you, coupled with the high service levels and convenient geographic location, perhaps one of the other numerous 5-star hotels in the city would be a better fit for you. It happens.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Rant today with SGS.

​​​​
I've clocked up around 75 nights. Let's say the first forty were on a variety of floors, lake view and city view. Since then I have always been prioritised for a lake view room on the 23rd floor. Why the 23rd floor? That is the hotel's child-free floor. I have never been let down, even during the Christmas holiday season. I'm mentioning this as it is one of the key reasons why I never look at anywhere else when in BKK. Of course, there are plenty of other reasons too. Special thanks always go to Mr.Bint (Front Office Assistant Manager) for taking personal care of my bookings. A few years ago I remember a group of noisy and unruly kids giving me a serious headache. I asked if the hotel had or had ever thought about having a child free floor and that is how I came to know about the 23rd floor.

For me, a quiet and peaceful floor is all I need. That takes priority over floor 30 or 31 for example.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
EVen an IHOP (a low end pancake chain in the US) let’s one replace fried egg with an egg white something. But a Luxury Collection can’t!l?

As for the spurious argument of ordering off a menu means one should expect one item... st Regis langkawi gives a menu and let’s you order anything as does Vana Belle Koh Samui Luxury Collection. Obviously I am not arguing SGS should do the same. Each property and each GM has their own choice...anyway I’ve said my piece onnthis topicnsp will end here

Last edited by SHLTP; Jan 19, 2018 at 3:46 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:58 am

Deleted
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
EVen an IHOP (a low end pancake chain in the US) let’s one replace fried egg with an egg white something. But a Luxury Collection can’t!l?
Can't argue with that one. I am left having to assume there was a miscommunication since I believe the menu says you can order eggs however you want them.

As for the spurious argument of ordering off a menu means one should expect one item... st Regis langkawi gives a menu and let’s you order anything as does Vana Belle Koh Samui Luxury Collection.
Do they have a separate buffet offering there as well?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:30 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Can't argue with that one. I am left having to assume there was a miscommunication since I believe the menu says you can order eggs however you want them.
The complaint that kicked off this deep dive into Rossini's breakfast was, I think, SHLTP being denied scrambled egg whites instead of a fried egg as part of the Steak & Eggs order. They were told that Steak & Eggs could come with fried eggs and they could not change to scrambled egg whites. If it was a miscommunication, Richard could have clarified that a whole bunch of posts before. See below:

Originally Posted by SHLTP
My own point is that I would like to give feedback to Richard here as he does read this, that I would hope Rossini's would have larger portion sizes/ little more flexibility on ordering. I am not saying a full buffet (because you are right there is a choice of Orchid for that) but I left Rossini's 3 times last time I was there hungry. And they wouldn't give me a steak with egg white scrambled eggs if I recall... had to be fried egg.
Do they have a separate buffet offering there as well?
I can confirm that Vana Belle have a buffet with a huge variety of items, and they provide items off a menu as well for Plats. IIRC we were encouraged to try multiple things from the menu. The portions of those items are not very large and due to the volume of guests at breakfast, the menu items took quite some time. It made sense to order to next item as soon as you got the first item. If you go to Google and do an image search for Vana Belle Breakfast I think you will find that the breakfast buffet is very extensive. I'll try to see if I can find any of my pics from the stays at Vana Belle. But generally, the kerfuffle here seems to have started with the inability for someone to ask for scrambled egg whites as part of their steak and eggs. If this was just a communication issue, then it will be easily rectified. If it is a policy issue, it is also easily rectified. Would be great to have it rectified so that the discussion can move on.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:00 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
When I dine at a buffet, I expect to be able to pick whatever I want to eat and have as much of it as I prefer. I get that at the Orchid Cafe.

When I dine in a restaurant and am ordering off a menu, I expect to be charged for each separate item I order off the menu. That's how restaurants work.

At Rossini's, the cost of breakfast (whether I am paying the posted charge or it is included as part of my benefits) includes one item off the menu. I don't expect to be able to go into a restaurant and order as many things as I like off a menu without additional charge.

People seem to want to treat Rossini's like a buffet, which it is not. You want two things off the menu? Offer to pay for the second item. Just like any other restaurant.

Rossini's goes further, however. In addition to the menu options, they have other items buffet style so you can get as much as those items you like.

I am not really seeing the issue here. You want all you can eat? Go to the Orchid Cafe and gorge yourself. You want a restaurant experience? Go to Rossini's and pay by the item off the menu.

I am frankly not seeing the issue here.
I am with you on this, I do not see an issue. If we know how Rossini works, then we are free to go there or somewhere else.

I think some of the fuss comes from the fact that many other hotels allow guests to pick several options on the breakfast menu, therefore not really operating as regular "restaurants". However I would note that such hotels usually do not offer other options like a buffet, unlike SGS. I can understand that some people who have been able to pick a few dishes from the breakfast menu at other hotels would be disappointed to be told it's maximum one at Rossini.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Rant today with SGS.

​​​​
I have well over 50 stays at this property, all as a Plat. I get a suite about 40% of the time ( and a 10th floor specialty suite 3 times).
So you are 0/1 as a plat?

I was there earlier this week on a 2 nights stay, at check-in I was told no suite was available, but there probably would be one the following day.
I told them not to bother - I would stay in my original room for the duration of the stay since I was alone and did not need the suite.
The UG to a suite is not why I stay at this hotel.
drron and margarita girl like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.