Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I’m confused why I am being told I am wrong to feel the way I do about Rossini’s for breakfast. Certainly seems other people view things the same why I do. I/ we have our opinions and are entitled to them and to voice them. I feel I have earned through spending and loyalty to eat egg whites in the morning and enjoy Rossini’s.
I completely agree, -- no one should be told that they are wrong when they express an opinion here. That's what FT is for, as I said upthread in post 3011. In my response(s) to your posts, I merely pointed out that there are already two other breakfast location choices which have no limits; I [certainly hope that I] didn't criticize you for expressing your opinion. If it felt that way to you, please accept my apology; that was not what I intended.

This forum is meant for us to voice our opinions not be damned for speaking them out.
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by alanslegal
SGS's decor and ambience made us "feel old" every time we stayed there, ....
That's the way I was made to feel at the Ws in both Hong Kong and Bangkok. In my case, though, it wasn't the decor; it was the attitude of the staff. That's why I no longer patronize W hotels.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
IMO the real crime being committed is letting Crocs into Rossini's

That would be a crime anywhere :-)
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
NOt at all. Thanks though!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I completely understand the concern regarding the a la Carte breakfast choice being restricted to one dish off the menu. Usually a la Carte breakfasts mean you can order what you like. The Sofitel Sukhumwit across the road from SGS offer an a la Carte breakfast in their Club Lounge complementing a semi buffet arrangement. You can order as many dishes as you like there. I’m sure the average customer would order at least 2 dishes e.g an egg dish with sausages and bacon etc plus a sweet dish (pancakes, waffles etc). They also have khao pad gai etc. There is no limitation on egg choice because the menu is flexible and if you ask they’ll usually do it.

Perhaps the solution at SGS should be to offer the main dishes with a flexible choice of egg options along with a second choice allowed for sweet options. This would be a sensible compromise.

I haven’t stayed at SGS yet but I’ve booked 7 nights later this year. It’ll be interesting to see if anything is modified at Rossini’s.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:01 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I completely understand the concern regarding the a la Carte breakfast choice being restricted to one dish off the menu. Usually a la Carte breakfasts mean you can order what you like. The Sofitel Sukhumwit across the road from SGS offer an a la Carte breakfast in their Club Lounge complementing a semi buffet arrangement. You can order as many dishes as you like there. I’m sure the average customer would order at least 2 dishes e.g an egg dish with sausages and bacon etc plus a sweet dish (pancakes, waffles etc). They also have khao pad gai etc. There is no limitation on egg choice because the menu is flexible and if you ask they’ll usually do it.
Agreed! It’s the same at Kempinski. Order off the breakfast menu, until you’re content.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Thanks for that, the Sofitel Sukhumvit (and to a less extent the SO) is one of my shortlisted hotels for upcoming stays in Bangkok this year. Might even pop into the new Waldorf Astoria later this year as well.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:11 pm

Not to veer off topic too much, but my wife stayed at the Sofitel last year and loved it. She does not have status w SPG (wish somehow I could pay to get spouse same status as we always use my account when traveling). She is loyal to SPG butnwithout me there she tries othernproperties more. Hardware wise I believe she preferred Sofitel over SGS

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Doesn't one of the SPG P levels allow you to gift status to her ?

Not to veer off topic too much, but my wife stayed at the Sofitel last year and loved it. She does not have status w SPG (wish somehow I could pay to get spouse same status as we always use my account when traveling). She is loyal to SPG butnwithout me there she tries othernproperties more. Hardware wise I believe she preferred Sofitel over SGS

Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:05 pm

I am not sure - I recall seeing something like that this year for the first time that one could gift Gold Status. I previously took suite nights but almost never had those approved so wasted dozens. I mistakenly took the 5 night credit once thinking it was for the following year instead of current year to get ahead for re-qualification. So this year I just took the free night and incidentally I think I used it at SGS if I recall correctly.

But SPG Gold status is not particularly worth it. Though of course linking with Marriott so one would get gold status there would be good as Marriott Gold is much better benefit wise than SPG Gold.

It would be nice if there was a way that I could give the spouse platinum status for a 3 month period or something while she then spends money to qualify for plat and then can use plat whenever she travels. Right now she pretty much only does Starwood with me, and chooses other chains or specialty properties without me.

I wanted to also let me son do a platinum challenge etc and help him get a start on everything. But we were told he was too young (not yet double digits in age when we asked). I got LTP when I was 39 so I am hoping many decades of benefits ahead for me.

But back to topic, I am glad I am seeing more people questioning the flexibility at Rossini's. Typically an executive breakfast where the front desk recommends you to eat there instead of Orchid because it is a better breakfast/ experience would to me imply implicitly a better experience... not just in atmosphere but also in food choice. If prices are similar, I will always take PA now over SGS precisely because PA breakfasts are calm like Rossini's but have more choice. Last time I was at PA they even reserved my favorite seat everyday for a week which was nice of them, even though they were at nearly 100% occupancy. I have not tried STR yet but think I will based on some of the responses above.

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Doesn't one of the SPG P levels allow you to gift status to her ?

Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be nice if there was a way that I could give the spouse platinum status for a 3 month period or something while she then spends money to qualify for plat and then can use plat whenever she travels.
Isn't that more or less what the PLT challenge is?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:47 am

I thought that during challenge period one does not have status... and I confess.. I think I only heard of the plat challenge last year.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Isn't that more or less what the PLT challenge is?

Last edited by SHLTP; Jan 16, 2018 at 6:35 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:11 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
Let's stay on the topic of the hotel.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG Forum
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I have to say I have never eaten more than one main dish in Roassini's for breakfast (and I have never tried to wear flip flops there either) but if they are now limiting it then I think that is a bit off. When it first open the staff would always push me to order some waffles as well as my steak and fried egg. I never took them up on the offer one main course plus the other bits and pieces has always been enough for me but I always like the idea that I could have waffles as well.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But back to topic, I am glad I am seeing more people questioning the flexibility at Rossini's. Typically an executive breakfast where the front desk recommends you to eat there instead of Orchid because it is a better breakfast/ experience would to me imply implicitly a better experience... not just in atmosphere but also in food choice. If prices are similar, I will always take PA now over SGS precisely because PA breakfasts are calm like Rossini's but have more choice. Last time I was at PA they even reserved my favorite seat everyday for a week which was nice of them, even though they were at nearly 100% occupancy. I have not tried STR yet but think I will based on some of the responses above.
I think that we're going to have to agree to disagree on this, SHLTP (but with respect for each other's opinion and a smile ).

First, I completely agree that if there's going to be a policy regarding such things as dress code, it must be communicated clearly and enforced consistently. Hotel management apparently agrees, too, as indicated by Mr. Chapman's post upthread on this. Personally, I like the dress code; but that is merely my personal preference. And I admit that as I'm getting older, I'm saddened by the universal move away from dress codes, standards and convention. A case, I think, of the pendulum swinging in the other direction rather than stopping at the middle, where I think it should be.

As far as limiting PLT breakfast at Rossini to one main dish, as I've said upthread, I have no problem with such a limitation as long as there are alternatives without such a restriction. Most hotels I've stayed in have only one option for breakfast, even hotels which consider and market themselves as five star, like LM in Bangkok. And we've already discussed the poor excuse for PLT breakfast offered at PdG. Having eaten breakfast at Rossini, it's clear that some of the items and ingredients are of higher quality than those of the regular buffet at Orchid, and prepared individually, as opposed to buffet style. Thus some of the ingredients and offerings probably do cost more, though obviously not eggs. Other items, liked baked goods, are the same as those available at breakfast downstairs in Orchid; and these have no quantity limitation at Rossini. Then there's a third group, too, -- items which are of higher quality at Rossini but are not limited in quantity, like the tomato and burrata salad, or the fresh fruit/vegetable juices squeezed individually to order.

I view the Rossini breakfast as an additional choice; and, IMO, more choice is always a good thing.

But, speaking of LC properties, does LC have brand standards? I've always had the feeling that LC is a collection of somewhat eclectic, independent hotels which maintain their own standards at a fairly high level, but with different, and sometimes very different, implementations.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 17, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Yesterday 2 people were sent back to their room to don appropriate footwear.One was not pleased.
As well the menu states at the bottom that you can pay for breakfast in Rossinis.780 baht +++ for Continental and 980 baht+++ for Continental + one item from the menu of cooked dishes.The One is highlighted on the menu.Why should a complimentary breakfast be any different?It has done so since I remember first using Rossini's for breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.