Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Heck, I might be an outlier as I wear shorts and a t shirt often to work...
Nice shorts (not swimwear or gym shorts) and a nice t-shirt are fine in Rossini's for breakfast. slippers (flio flops) are not.

-David
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
So flip flops are out - but Vibram Five Fingers are OK
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Clearly in a terribly unscientific study, many on FT like the enforcement of Rossini's rules on dress code even if I don't. So that is a good choice for SGS to do this as probably there was enough feedback to Richard etc to improve that angle. Key word is feedback.

While a dress code is not might cup of tea in the tropics (I was denied entry once to lounge at ROS and never went back because I don't bring long pants when on holiday in a tropical area and specifically go to Plaza Athenee because they are more flexible in enforcement). A dress code for Rossini's is obviously perfectly warranted a policy if the small subset here can be extrapolated to the larger plat/ suite population. Heck, I might be an outlier as I wear shorts and a t shirt often to work...

My own point is that I would like to give feedback to Richard here as he does read this, that I would hope Rossini's would have larger portion sizes/ little more flexibility on ordering. I am not saying a full buffet (because you are right there is a choice of Orchid for that) but I left Rossini's 3 times last time I was there hungry. And they wouldn't give me a steak with egg white scrambled eggs if I recall... had to be fried egg.

I suggested that more flexibility would be good and will keep doing so until I here the policy has changed (though Richard once posted here it wouldn't). Until then I will go to Orchid or PA's buffet if with my family as they like buffets. I'd only return to SGS if myself most likely. Since I usually take up 2-3 other rooms when I travel to BKK, then that is a revenue loss for SGS simply because of breakfast. I had 8 people or so with me last time and it was impossible to find a seat at Orchid (mgr there wouldn't even let us put seats together) so ended up in the less desirable restaurant next to Rossini's (cant remember name). That was not a dining experience anyone of us liked particularly.
Dude it is the footwear, not the shorts.

It is clear and consistently enforced, so either conform or stay elsewhere. It doesn't sound like SGS fits your stay profile so do we have to state the obvious and say look at other properties? Your concerns were voiced and the response isn't what you would like, thus your decision should be made.^
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:39 am

While I prefer a laidback approach to breakfast at Rossini’s with no dress codes, I have no objections if it is properly enforced and well communicated, so kudos to Richard for stepping out again and clarifying the case, as well as taking immediate ratifications such as communicating this clearly in the welcome letters.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
The breakfast is ample. I like a large breakfast as no lunch usually. Those who consider a steak and eggs meal as small. along with all the croissants, smoked fish on offer and fruit.not forgetting the freshly squeezed fruit juices
Also the salmon dish and spinach is a decent size. One set meal is enough for 90 % of patrons. And i am glad there is no beachwear allowed there, given how some people dress in in the main breakfast area.

if i feel peckish, which i have never done after the exec breakfast, then i suggest the full breakfast downstairs. But the relaxes atmosphere at Rossini is a real winner in my opinion.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Huh? I don’t fit the SGS profile because I want to be able to order egg white scrambled eggs rather than a fried egg off the menu and was denied that? Dude, a a Luxury Collection hotel should be able to be flexible like that. Yes I voiced that to the server and no one else. Yes I guess my expectations on flexibility at a luxury property is different than yours than cookie cutter eggs. The extra costs of switching from a fried eggs to a n egg white something is minimal.

Yes ROS has a long pant rule in club so I don’t fit their profile, don’t like it and won’t be back. I had sneakers on. When I changed pants they let me in.

So dude it was the pants and not the footwear.

Originally Posted by schley
Dude it is the footwear, not the shorts.

It is clear and consistently enforced, so either conform or stay elsewhere. It doesn't sound like SGS fits your stay profile so do we have to state the obvious and say look at other properties? Your concerns were voiced and the response isn't what you would like, thus your decision should be made.^
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Central90210
While I prefer a laidback approach to breakfast at Rossini’s with no dress codes, I have no objections if it is properly enforced and well communicated ....
I agree. If the hotel wants to ban everyone taller than four feet in height, that's cool too - as long as the policy is well communicated and properly enforced. We all have choices and in Bangkok - wow, many as good, if not better, choices.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
And they wouldn't give me a steak with egg white scrambled eggs if I recall... had to be fried egg.
... I want to be able to order egg white scrambled eggs rather than a fried egg off the menu and was denied that? Dude, a a Luxury Collection hotel should be able to be flexible like that. Yes I voiced that to the server and no one else. Yes I guess my expectations on flexibility at a luxury property is different than yours than cookie cutter eggs. The extra costs of switching from a fried eggs to a n egg white something is minimal.
This just doesn't sound right to me. I, as well as many of my friends, have stayed at SGS many times; and I've never heard of anything like this happening. So you asked for egg whites and the server's reply was, "No. You may only have fried eggs with steak."? At the risk of spending too much time on a relatively minor item, would you add a little detail about what happened? It just doesn't sound like the SGS staff to me. In my experience as well as that of several friends, the SGS staff is most accommodating. I cannot help but wonder if there isn't more to this story.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 8, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:56 pm

Pretty straightforward- I asked if I could have egg white scrambled instead of fried egg on steak and was told no. Yes usually service at SGS is excellent. It is generally a well oiled machine. That is it. Maybe the server didn’t understand me but I wasn’t going to I push and complain on such a minor thing. I have also stayed here quite a few times. I. Have had service failures however like delivering a 75 birthday cake on wrong day etc but generally this is a great hotel.

I am howver becoming swayed by PA because their breakfast is so so good compared to Orchid madhouse and Rossini’s lack of protein options.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:49 pm

Pretty straightforward- I asked if I could have egg white scrambled instead of fried egg on steak and was told no. Yes usually service at SGS is excellent. It is generally a well oiled machine. That is it. Maybe the server didn’t understand me but I wasn’t going to I push and complain on such a minor thing. I have also stayed here quite a few times. I. Have had service failures however like delivering a 75 birthday cake on wrong day etc but generally this is a great hotel.

I am howver becoming swayed by PA because their breakfast is so so good compared to Orchid madhouse and Rossini’s lack of protein options.
I used to be able to mix and match breakfast mains (back in 2016) at Rossini’s, such as having a Salmon steak with one eggs florentine. You can no longer mix and match since early 2017 I believe.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I think part of the problem is that for those of us who stay often we notice when previously (generous) offerings are removed. Bar Su used to have a nice spread of snacks during happy hour, now gone. Changes to Rossini's (prosecco allotment, ability to order more than one dish) come under this category. The one dish thing bothers me more than most (I suspect) b/c I travel alone and if I was with a companion we could have 2 glasses and 2 orders
Nevertheless - there are other choices in the hotel (which is not the most common experience) and ultimately if it doesn't suit than we make other choices.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

Huh? I don’t fit the SGS profile because I want to be able to order egg white scrambled eggs rather than a fried egg off the menu and was denied that? Dude, a a Luxury Collection hotel should be able to be flexible like that. Yes I voiced that to the server and no one else. Yes I guess my expectations on flexibility at a luxury property is different than yours than cookie cutter eggs. The extra costs of switching from a fried eggs to a n egg white something is minimal.

Yes ROS has a long pant rule in club so I don’t fit their profile, don’t like it and won’t be back. I had sneakers on. When I changed pants they let me in.

So dude it was the pants and not the footwear.

I knew you would love the DUDE comment as you typically wear shorts/tshirt to work.^

It is ok if some people don't agree with you right? I can't keep track of how many things you don't like and point out on this thread which if I can't follow it are numerous. With so many negative observations that is why I said you don't fit the SGS profile.

But DUDE by all means stay wherever you like and please post the POSITIVES, not just the criticisms or maybe take a hint from that and deduce that you maybe should stay elsewhere if there aren't any positives.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Folks, please remember the FlyerTalk rule about not getting personal. There is no need to comment about the likes and dislikes of others. Accept that they are what they are. Everyone knows they have choices. No need to remind them. Let’s keep the discussion about the property and not one another.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG Forum
schley likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:20 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I think that the inability to order more than one item at an “Executive breakfast” for Platinum members to be fickle and petty. And I’m surprised the SGS takes this stance. In fact, I find it so stingy, I think it’s humorous.

Where I normally stay, there is a modest breakfast. The hotel is 1/2-2/3 the nightly rate, and I’ve regularly seen fussy guests have special orders sent up from the kitchen downstairs. After going out of their way, they’ll approach the guest with one mindset and ask... “is there any else I can get you?” And they mean it.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:35 pm

Exactly. You sum it up well.

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I think that the inability to order more than one item at an “Executive breakfast” for Platinum members to be fickle and petty. And I’m surprised the SGS takes this stance. In fact, I find it so stingy, I think it’s humorous.

Where I normally stay, there is a modest breakfast. The hotel is 1/2-2/3 the nightly rate, and I’ve regularly seen fussy guests have special orders sent up from the kitchen downstairs. After going out of their way, they’ll approach the guest with one mindset and ask... “is there any else I can get you?” And they mean it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.