Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
It is not the only Luxury Collection hotel that still has a Sheraton name either, I think there is at least another.
Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Sheraton Kuwait Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel - Kuwait City, Kuwait

-RM
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Hey Coolfish,

So I totally get it, but why dont they just change the name then? I could of just booked with my Amex plat and FHR benefits with that. I understand I might have screwed up using the wrong card but its not clear. When I did talk to spg agent they did say bc its sheraton and I booked with my SPG biz they should upgrade me but no guarantee bc its dependent on the individual property itself. Thanks all for your responses. Lesson learned
Imagine the mamagement meeting at SGS

Rooms Manager
Hey Richard, just heared JfromTheBay did not read any details about his
benefits before making a non ref booking with us !!

Richard

Quick lets change the name our our hotel, you know one of the best loved and well know hotels in all Asia if not the world, J is confused !!

Rooms Manager

On it Richard !!!
JfromTheBay likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Well knowing how good service at SGS is... they might actually do that
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Actually, what happened to Starwood's reinvigoration of the "Sheraton Grand(e) which was announced a year or two ago? This board had speculated that Kuwait, Bangkok and other Sheraton Grands (e.g. Dubai) would form a new Starwood sub-brand. I wonder if it was an initiative the merger killed off. I would assume it would overlap heavily with JW Marriott.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Is bkk considered a sheraton grand? Or is it a sheraton w Grande in name because of its street address just like the Westin has Grande sukhumvit?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Is bkk considered a sheraton grand? Or is it a sheraton w Grande in name because of its street address just like the Westin has Grande sukhumvit?
There are many hotels in the area with Grand(e) in their name.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Good point, but I'm really not sure Grand is a thing at the moment anyways.

Ignoring the name of Grande Sukhumvit, if SPG were to bring together its premium Sheraton-branded properties (potentially including those formally under the Luxury Collection), the SGS would be one of the most obvious contenders.

Lots of hypothetical in that...
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
To add to the confusion, there is also a nearby "Grand Sukhumvit Hotel Bangkok", managed by Accor.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
I would imagine it is because of keeping the reputation of the name instead of renaming themselves anything else. Preserving the history of the location would make sense to me since I tend to think things were bad and had to be changed if I see a rebranding/renaming/"under new management." To be fair, I always see the hotel advertised or listed as "Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel" - so that is tacked on to the name quite often, and everywhere I can remember on any Starwood sites. It is not the only Luxury Collection hotel that still has a Sheraton name either, I think there is at least another.
The LC one in southern Portugal (Pine Cliffs) has changed the name to remove Sheraton, but it's still known as the Sheraton, including on current maps, and there's still some Sheraton branding at the property.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
My last stay in the Governor suite was at least 2 years ago, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it renovated. It is still in the hotel classic style, but has all those gadgets that give it a modern feeling.

Going to the bathroom in that suite is kind of a futuristic adventure.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Stayed here earlier and didn't have my SNA clear but did get a luxury suite as a plat upgrade upon arrival at 11 am, which i was happy with. Did the breakfast at the Sala outside pool area and was definitely a step down from Rossini's. Rossinis open until 10, what is it the Orchid? until 10:30 in the lobby, then Sala until 11. Wished Rossinis was 11.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I am here now and not even with SNAs could I get a Platinum upgrade to a suite, it really is becoming very difficult to get an upgrade here now.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Lobster
I am here now and not even with SNAs could I get a Platinum upgrade to a suite, it really is becoming very difficult to get an upgrade here now.
That's fairly unusual. Most reports here are that when an upgrade is not available at checkin, FD will offer to upgrade you when an upgrade becomes available, if you like. Reports here indicate that there's a very high success rate with that, usually within one or two days. If you're only there for a couple of days, it may not be worth it, of course. You may have hit a particularly busy week.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:19 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Bangkok is extremely busy this month as most events shifted out of October so hotels are jam packed.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lobster
I couldn't even pay for a Grand Suite for dates in early December . . . sold out a month in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.