FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Prepaid rates - currency question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/932164-prepaid-rates-currency-question.html)

mahasamatman Mar 14, 2009 2:39 pm

Prepaid rates - currency question

When booking a prepaid rate at a foreign hotel on spg.com, does the charge come through in USD or in the hotel's local currency?

Oxon Flyer Mar 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 11413949)
When booking a prepaid rate at a foreign hotel on spg.com, does the charge come through in USD or in the hotel's local currency?

When I prepay at a "foreign" hotel, the charges often come through in USD. ;)

IME, it has always been in local currency.

Flying Lawyer Mar 14, 2009 3:12 pm

Why should a "foreign" hotel charge in USD?

Guava Mar 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 11414056)

uh...because for the said poster in question, USD charged by a US hotel is indeed "foreign" hotel (i.e. not British). ;)

Also, hotels in some countries whose currencies are not very stable or do not trade freely, have the habit of adopting a USD pricing, for example, the Maldives. Other countries such as Turkey adopts a EUR pricing even though Turkey has its own currency.

sc flier Mar 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 11414056)

If the prepayment went to Starwood and then Starwood paid the hotel, then it would be conceivable to pay USD to Starwood. That's basically what happens with a prepaid rate through Expedia, Orbitz, etc. But I don't think that's how Starwood operates their prepaid rates.

My recent prepaid stay at the LM Etoile was charged in Euros.

allset2travel Mar 14, 2009 4:45 pm

On your reservation, it shows local currency. If you charged it to a CC, your CC will show in US$ (at the then conversion rate). Your CC may also tag on a "currency conversion surcharge of x%). The x varies from card to card (can be as high as 3%). I use Capital-1 which waives such surcharge fees.

Flying Lawyer Mar 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Guava (Post 11414082)
Turkey adopts a EUR pricing even though Turkey has its own currency.

Turkish hotels certainly charge in Turkish Lira. Even it the rate on the website is in Euro, they convert the Euro amount into Turkish Lira on the day of invoicing and your CC issuer converts it back into your CC's currency.

Flying Lawyer Mar 14, 2009 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier (Post 11414268)
If the prepayment went to Starwood and then Starwood paid the hotel, then it would be conceivable to pay USD to Starwood. That's basically what happens with a prepaid rate through Expedia, Orbitz, etc. But I don't think that's how Starwood operates their prepaid rates.

My recent prepaid stay at the LM Etoile was charged in Euros.

True, Starwood is not a tour operator (like Expedia for Expedia Special Rate) but a booking platform. The prepaid rate is not charged by Starwood but by the hotel.

mahasamatman Mar 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks all. I was hoping to avoid the foreign transaction fee by prepaying, but I guess it's not to be.

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 11414407)
Your CC may also tag on a "currency conversion surcharge

Most credit cards changed that a few years ago. They no longer charge for currency conversion - they now charge foreign transaction fee (or "service charge"), even if the transaction is in USD.

sc flier Mar 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 11414407)
I use Capital-1 which waives such surcharge fees.

Same here. This is the main reason that I have a Capital One card. The lone exception of its use on foreign travel is on Starwood stays. I still charge those to my Starwood Amex and take the double Starpoints. But with the foreign transaction fees, it's pretty much a wash.

mahasamatman Mar 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier (Post 11415369)
I still charge those to my Starwood Amex and take the double Starpoints.

That's pretty much it for me as well. For everything else when I'm traveling, it's cash.

Flying Lawyer Mar 15, 2009 12:56 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 11415510)
That's pretty much it for me as well. For everything else when I'm traveling, it's cash.

Cash is certainly the most expensive method of paying unless you have a CC that gives you fee and cost free access to ATMs globally

karenkay Mar 15, 2009 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 11415832)
Cash is certainly the most expensive method of paying unless you have a CC that gives you fee and cost free access to ATMs globally

did you mean to say 'inexpensive'?

Flying Lawyer Mar 15, 2009 8:42 am

Originally Posted by karenkay (Post 11416435)
did you mean to say 'inexpensive'?

No, I meant to say expensive. I pay 1,25% over interbank rate for transaction I put on my credit card, bank rates or even worse, money changer's rates for cash transactions cannot compete - getting foreign currency is not a free gimmick.

karenkay Mar 15, 2009 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 11416579)
No, I meant to say expensive. I pay 1,25% over interbank rate for transaction I put on my credit card, bank rates or even worth money changer's rates for cash transactions cannot compete - getting foreign currency is not a free gimmick.

gotcha, thanks for the clarification.