Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starpoints reservation cancelled....will I get my starpoints credited back?

Old Mar 12, 09, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emerald Executive, Hyatt Platinum

I had to cancel my Starpoints reservation, but I was wondering if I will get them credited back to my account and how soon? I would like to make a different reservation as soon as possible. Please help!
Old Mar 12, 09, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
They do post back to your acount as a separate line item on your summary. IME it happens fairly quickly (within a few days). You may want to call and speak dircectly to a SPG rep if you need to re-use the points immediately.
Old Mar 12, 09, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I agree with PHLGovFlyer.

However, if you've cancelled after the reservation's cancellation deadline, then you might still be charged whatever costs were outlined in those cancellation terms. You should still get your points back, though.

If this is the case, you could ask the hotel to waive the cancellation penalties or perhaps negotiate an arrangement to reschedule your stay. But I think it's all up to the hotel at that point -- not SPG.
Old Mar 12, 09, 11:34 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
the credits always seem to appear on the next day for me.
Old Mar 12, 09, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold
If you call SPG, they will post them to your acct immediately. In my experence, when I have cancelled points reservations online on many occasions, I have always needed to call SPG to get the points deposited back into my acct.
Old Mar 12, 09, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by budblab View Post
If you call SPG, they will post them to your acct immediately. In my experence, when I have cancelled points reservations online on many occasions, I have always needed to call SPG to get the points deposited back into my acct.
I also have never had to call,
just waited until the next day.
Old Nov 5, 14, 8:12 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
100%

Have never had to make any effort for point refund as long as I follow the rules. 24-36 hours
Old Nov 5, 14, 1:31 pm

I seem to recall my points reposting almost immediately upon cancellation. Maybe depends on the hotel, but it's never taken until the next day to see them.
Old Nov 5, 14, 2:39 pm

Programs: LH, EY, Marriott
Same here. Whenever I cancelled online, points were back in my account within seconds.
Old Nov 6, 14, 3:27 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
I did the same thing a few days ago and the points were back almost immediately and I went from cancelling a stay to booking two new ones straight away without having sufficient points to do both stays without the credit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: