SPG Rules

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

SPG Rules

Hi All,

I am new to this forum.

I have been a SPG member for a number of years. I used to be a PLT (courtesy of AMEX Centurion). However since they dropped the benefit to Gold I haven't really actively maintain my SPG membership.

I did stay at some Starwood properties within the last year and have accumulated 25K points in my account.

I have a few question:

1) When will my points expire (I heard there is a 12 month rule where you have stay with at least 1 property or spend at least 10USD?)

2) I used to remember there is a facility online where you can effectively transfer points within your family in the same address. I think it is the merging account function. Is this still available?

3) If I use Priceline and stayed with a Starwood property, I know I don't get points for the stay, except for incidentals (eg room service etc..) Does this actually count as a stay in the property (in order to upgrade to PLT elite status)

4) Tips and current offers for SPG (earning/redeeming etc..) Also if there are some key post I should refer to here.. It seems the setup in this forum is a bit different as I can see some really long post which might be useful?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:41 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by nomoreiphone
Hi All,

I am new to this forum.
Welcome!

I have a few question:

1) When will my points expire (I heard there is a 12 month rule where you have stay with at least 1 property or spend at least 10USD?)
As a simplified explanation, the T&C's state that it is 12 months after your last "stay" transaction or credit from using an SPG affinity credit card for your account to be considered "inactive". But, unofficially, there is also a 6-month grace period before the accumulated Starpoints balance is forfeited. I almost hate to even say that unofficial part because someone here will probably play "chicken" with that information and lose.

2) I used to remember there is a facility online where you can effectively transfer points within your family in the same address. I think it is the merging account function. Is this still available?
Nope, no such functionality exists. You can call to have Starpoints transferred between accounts in your own household, but you can't combine an account being held in someone else's name into yours, or vice versa. You can, however, combine any duplicate accounts being held in your name online.

3) If I use Priceline and stayed with a Starwood property, I know I don't get points for the stay, except for incidentals (eg room service etc..) Does this actually count as a stay in the property (in order to upgrade to PLT elite status)
No, if you don't earn Starpoints for the room rental revenue, you don't earn stays/nights toward your SPG account.

4) Tips and current offers for SPG (earning/redeeming etc..) Also if there are some key post I should refer to here.. It seems the setup in this forum is a bit different as I can see some really long post which might be useful?
Cheap Elite will be along soon to remind you to read the FAQ sticky posted at the top of this forum. That is where you will find a host of valuable information that has been collected by our very capable moderators.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...read-list.html

Thanks in advance
No worries. Glad to be of assistance.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.