Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just came back from a stay at the RH using the FWN awards. At first I'll admit I was a little disappointed when I was only given an upgrade to a partial ocean view room. However, I really ended up loving the hotel despite the rooms being on the smaller side and the lack of a suite upgrades.

The hotel is in a great location on Waikiki beach. I think the beach in front of the property is part of the nicest stretch of the beach. The lounge chairs on the beach are really comfortable, but you do need to arrive early to claim a spot.

The nightly turndown service was a nice touch. I always received a bottle or two of Hawaiian water and chocolate coins. I also liked the tasty banana bread you receive upon arrival.

The lei greeting, pink lemonade, and cold towel make check in relaxing and inviting. The staff in general always had a smile on their face and were helpful and friendly, although the person who checked us in was somewhat emotionless.

There were only two of us in the room so there was definitely enough space, but I can imagine if you had a family you'd be better off staying somewhere else if you weren't in a suite.

I also was granted late check out until 6:00pm with no problem. I was pretty much asked what time I wanted to check out. It seemed like they really wanted to accomodate me.

Overall a really nice stay. The location is great, the grounds are really pretty, the furniture throughout the resort is really comfortable, and the staff is friendly. I didn't appreciate how nice the RH property was until I stayed at the Sheraton Kauai.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, AA, HA, Delta, Intercont Ambassador gold
Royal Hawaiian Rocks vs. Moanna Surfrider

I personally have stayed at all spg properties on Oahu and Maui The Royal Hawaiian staff is by far, the best of any property I have stayed at in Waikiki. I can personally also state that the fact that the Owners of the property, who also own Sheraton Waikiki, have gone out of their way to keep the guests at the Royal happy and comfortable at all times, they could have done the standard in Waikiki and start with the priciest rooms with a one or two floor level buffer and work they're way down. No, they didn't follow the standard hotelier "renovation" They lost millions in revenue as to not disturb a single guest. I have been at all levels of the status chain with SPG and I have always been treated Royally at the RH. The staff is warm and kind but not snobbish or pushy in any way. I always get the feeling of true "Aloha" when I stay there or drop in when staying somewhere else. I am staying for 7 nights Oct 14th and am so excited to see the Renovation work that has been done. You cannot call the owners or management at RH cheap in anyway, shape or definition. I always stay in the Historic building, I stayed a total of 6 times at RH and each experience was perfect except one stay. Management immediately and without hesitation made the situation right and actually went above and beyond what any hotel would normally do. Surfrider was a great hotel under the same ownership as RH and Sheraton Waikiki, but when new owners took over and did the "Westin Thang" I feel the hotel slipped a couple notches in service and Aloha spirit. I guess I go to Oahu on leisure every year and the Royal has captivated me, family, friends and business associates. I would pay triple (if I could afford to do so) to stay at the RH vs. Moanna Surfrider. A lot of the employees of RH have been there for 20 plus years - that alone says something. I believe in any organization, its a top down deal. The RH owners are kind, caring, considerate, loyal and that is hard to say about any Multi Billion Corp., but you can see the same faces from housekeeping to concierge year after year at Royal Hawaiian - its because they care. Stay at the Royal Hawaiian if you can. Points, Cash, Combo, or however you can swing it, the RH experience is truly something every FT member should experience. Of course, its just my opinion and its worth what ya paid for it. Thanks, Aloha, Martin
Old Aug 30, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: ua 1k, spg plt
While I was not EXPLICITLY told this was the case, I got the sense that suite upgrades in the towers portion of the property were not standard upgrades, a la Sheraton HKG, et al...but garden suites were not a problem and I wanted the space over the view as I was traveling with a toddler...I ended up with a full suite a good 800sq ft in size. FYI, i was on a FWN stay.

Originally Posted by cball22
That is correct. The standard upgrade was from a garden room to the ocean view room. They were going to charge me for upgrades to a suite even though it was my primary room.

I believe others haven't had issues with suite upgrades at the RH so I'm not sure why I wasn't able to get the suite for free. I didn't push it too hard though but I sent the guy back a few times to talk to his GM. At that point, we didn't feel like moving and just enjoyed the rest of our time on vacation.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by martinclemson
The RH owners are kind, caring, considerate, loyal and that is hard to say about any Multi Billion Corp., but you can see the same faces from housekeeping to concierge year after year at Royal Hawaiian - its because they care. Stay at the Royal Hawaiian if you can.
Spoken like a true shareholder...please spare us the corporate pitch!
For those seeking suite upgrades,the Sheraton next door is better suited for this.For the best accomodation and care.....Halekulani
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:41 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I've just cancelled a forthcoming Halekulani stay in favour of the Royal Hawaiian.

Yes, Halekulani has higher service levels and nicer rooms. But it is a high rise occupying almost all of its tiny pocket of land, and the beach and pool are tiny.

How can you beat the Royal's beach or its gardens after dark?

Even Jerry went there in Tom and Jerry, and that's good enough for me!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
I spent time last week (ie. eating meals and walking around) the Halekulani, Kahala and RH and, without a doubt, the Halekulani was a major disappointment. Almost every inch of the grounds were used and the beach was nonexistent. Regardless of the level of service and luxury of the property overall, a lack of beach in a beach locale is a killer, IMO.

The Royal Hawaiian was surprising because it is smack in the middle of Waikiki, right next to the Sheraton, but it was very quiet and peaceful as soon as I walked through the gates. The decor and architecture exudes restrained luxury. The back lawn and beach areas are quite large and the food looked great (did not eat here).

The Kahala was simply amazing, though it is not in the middle of it all. Great beach, fantastic service and very quiet location.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:19 am

Good Day:
I stayed for two days at the Royal Hawaiian last week using two free week end nights following 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki at the Regency Club level/ocean front/$148.00 AAA rate.
I tried to confirm a room type 24 hours in advance by stopping in at the Royal Hawaiian in person around 9.00 pm.
The sole reception agent working at the time was not helpful and I was sent away being told that the hotel was busy and I would get whatever room would be available upon check in.
The fact I disclosed I had been in touch previously with a member of the Royal Hawaiian management made no difference.
I checked in the following day around 4.30 pm and was appointed an 800 square feet suite overlooking the inside courtyard without requesting it in the historical building.
The platinum amenity (fruit plate) never made it and I requested and was given instead 2 free days of internet service later in the evening.
Suite #463 has a long wood floor entry way leading directly to what must have been originally a small round wooded waiting room.
From there you access straight ahead a large living room (small bar with fridge, dining table with 4 chairs, a flat screen TV with sound system/CD/DVD player, another small fridge, a non sleeper coach, 3 coffee tables and 2 chairs) , a sleeping room/bedroom on the left with a very small bathroom featuring only a shower and no bath tub (note the bedroom has its own door) and a desk.
On the right a restroom is located next to a door leading to a second bedroom (this room was not part of the suite I was given) which would make this suite possibly a two bedrooms suite if needed.
The carved doors are circa 1980 but do little to keep noises out and when outside the suite it was possible to hear whatever was going on (I could clearly hear the music I was playing on the audio system as well as the TV) not much privacy.
The hotel looks very nice although the room furniture and decoration do not create any kind of special feel . By this, I mean it is cold and I can also see why some people do have issues with the carpeting and the wallpapers.
Downstairs in the ladies bathroom they used to have a large quilt. I am told this was removed.
This was my first stay at the Royal Hawaiian so I do not have a point of reference although I have stayed in Honolulu many times since 1988.
The staff with the exception noted above was professional and helpful.
The beach chairs with their parasols were great and free.
The beach staff was attentive providing from time to time free smoothies.
Although the use of the open air lounge is restricted to occupants of the newer Royal Tower I was given access.
Compared to The Hyatt Waikiki Regency Club or The Nines in Portland this lounge does not provide a great value at all.
Breakfast offerings are limited to coffee/tea and pastries as well as cold drinks during the day. Pastries were in short supplies every morning of my stay and I never saw any pupus in the evening.
I had a few drinks at the Mai Tai bar and a plate of seared Ahi.
Curiously the piece of Ahi tataki I was served had three ends instead of two you usually get
I was afforded a late 6.00 pm check out without any problem.
This is a very nice property certainly worth staying at and I had a pleasant week end.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:43 pm

Just back from a 3 night FWKN stay at the RH. I have to agree with previous posts here regarding how accommodating the management staff is at the RH. When I checked in, there were no junior suites available and I was offered an ocean view room which would be available later in the day or a garden view room that was available immediately. Tired, I choose to take the garden view room. It was more spacious than I thought considering that I had heard how small the rooms can be. This was a double bedded room which had a desk, a small table with 2 chairs, a flat screen TV on a TV stand that also contained a mini fridge. There was also an additional sitting chair and side table. As housekeeping was cleaning, I did peak into some king bedded rooms and they did look tiny compared to this room which I received.

The next morning as I was picking up my parking pass ($20 a night at the Sheraton Wakiki), I inquired if any junior suites freed up. I was told he would speak with a supervisor later in the day and he would leave a message if a room was available. After a long day out, I checked for messages but there was none. After dinner, I had a message that there was a suite available. I wasn't sure I wanted to move since this was night 2 of a 3 night stay but after inspecting it, I felt compelled to make the effort.

I was told this was a full suite (Haleakala) in the 22 line with a garden view. Once you open the door, you are in the living room with a desk directly to your left and a flat screen TV on the wall. Along the left wall was a sofa with 2 side tables and 2 lamps. There were 2 sitting chairs facing the TV and a coffee table. There was a sink to the right and underneath was a mini fridge. Behind the chairs towards the windows were 4 chairs and a table. To the right of the doorway is the bathroom with 2 sinks and a separate door for the bathtub, toilet. Passing the 2 sinks is the entry to the bedroom which has another entry / exit to the living room towards the window side. In the bedroom was 2 double beds, 2 sitting chairs, a desk, flat screen TV, one side table and lamp. There was also another door which leads out to the hallway but the key doesn't work on this door and the doorway is not numbered.

One post critique the carpet and wallpaper but I thought it was very well done and aesthetically pleasing. The wallpaper was only on one wall where the headboard is. Without the wallpaper, the room would look quite bland. The carpet in the halls and the wooden doors add to the charm. I asked the Towers concierge which rooms she preferred and she liked the charm of the main building over the 1970's tower. Undoutedly an ocean view is nice but I very much enjoyed the main building. I have no idea what an ocean view room looked like though so can't comment.

The staff at the beach were very friendly and helpful with towels, umbrellas. As mentioned previously, I also am a bit miffed with the 6 pm closure of the beach as it seems a bit early. One day while swimming in the ocean past 6 pm, my beach chair was gone and I was concerned that my beach bag with glasses (blindbat) was under lock down but it was simply left on the chair which was stacked up. The rest of my belongings remained on the sand, left all alone. Folks are early trying to get the chairs closest to the ocean so if you want to snag one, you will most likely see the sunrise.

As I had a late flight, I was unsure if a 4 pm checkout was in the cards considering the suite but I was given 4 pm late checkout without any hesitation when requested the night before. The kids also really enjoyed the food court right within the RH shopping complex and this was also extremely convenient. Overall, I think this property is definitely a jewel in the Starwood family.

Last edited by Mahalo; Sep 9, 2009 at 3:52 pm
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Gold gets a suite upgrade for all 6 nights

Yes folks, as a lowly gold, I was assigned a true suite. It was a huge entry room with full couch etc, a bit sparsely furnished for the size of the room though. It did have a separate bedroom with a king bed, smallish bathroom but full tub/shower. There was some noise from the restaurant exhaust two floors below but with the heavy drapes pulled, I couldn't hear it at night. The view was of the main entrance through one window, and the new Sheraton mega-pool/ocean through the others. The only laugh was that they did not check me in properly, so after 24 hours I was locked out. Having asked if they had changed their mind about the suite, they did fix the problem and sent an apology note and fruit plate the next day.
They ran out of towels at the pool and told me I could walk over to the Sheraton if I wanted, and there wasn't a lick of staff on the beach the first two days I was there. There were many "reserved" beach chairs that could have used enforcement of the 90 minute rule. The other days at the pool the staff was quite agreeable.
The grounds are beautiful, rooms nice. The pool area is a bit bigger than the Moana, the beach area much bigger but with all the chairs on top of each other. I'm not really convinced the new RH is worth the premium over the Moana, but I suppose it's just a matter of perspective. I had a great stay at the Moana, really enjoying the perspective that you are right on the ocean from all of the public outdoor areas, and I really enjoy morning coffee under the banyan tree.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Just back from RH on FWN and couldn't say enuf about the place...

...especially when compared to MS down the road.
Got the nice check in and was given the option of suite in historic wing or tower room with full ocean view ... marge anted the view over the suite so we took it. Was given banana bread and a bottle of champers as a plat amenity. Got the cont. brekkie and snacks with the tower room, and while the room was a little tired the view was great, and the level of service was excellent. Asked for extra sheets and pillows...within 10 minutes they were at the door and thew sheet had been pressed! Love it. Everytime we asked for something it was there within minutes. Excellent consierge help, smiling people all around, quiet at the small pool...overall an excellent stay.
The MS on the other hand will NEVER EVER see me or Marge again.
Shoebox room ("You checked in late - I will block you something tomorrow") that faced another building right near the front of the hotel...just perfect to echo all the traffic noise though their 100 year old single paned windows.
Next a.m.down to reception...no note of CSR requesting upgraded room, but they would look into it...come back at 12:30. Back at 12;30 no nothing, come back at 3:00, at 3:00 (homer now not in a good mood), was told the same shoebox room only a little further away was all that was available. Needless to say not the way i wanted my vacation to begin...so moral of the story stay at the RH as it knows how to treat its guests. By the way i had to ask the MS for my 500 pt amenity as it hadnt been added.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
Thumbs down no love for this lowly gold

I've returned from a disappointing one-night FWN stay at the RH.

Arrived on Sunday, 9/6 (Labor Day weekend). Apparently, there was a convention happening at the Sheraton which filled up that hotel. Upon check in at RH, I was notified no upgrades available as the Sheraton was sending guests over since they were full. I did get the nice lei from valet, pink drink and cold towel. And was shown a garden room w/ King bed. I also requested a late checkout, since I was diving the next morning, and was only offered until 2pm.

I will have to agree with most comments that the King garden room isn't spacious, but we didn't go to HNL to stay in the room.

While unpacking, we discovered the safe un-usable. Security came to check and they tried contacting a locksmith that had just left the property? to no avail. Not offered another room, we were told to use the hotel safe, and we were given comps for breakfast (and later online access). While that worked for my friend, I could only order a bagel that I had to take with me as I was picked up for the dive.

They said the hotel was pretty full, but checking online, showed more expensive rooms were available. We were only staying one night so I didn't think more of it and since I realize golds are not guaranteed upgrades. But I am now even more disappointed, especially if I hear someone else got an upgrade (no offense 7Continents). And the fact that the 2pm late checkout could be extended later since I was delayed returning just gets annoying.

Lastly, I know I was on an award stay, but shouldn't the valet charges at least appear on my activity? Or do they not count as well? I was tempted to ask to get that comped as well, but I wanted some points to post for the trip.

With this one night, I can now say that I've stayed at all of the HNL starwood properties (unfortunately I missed out on the W, but it's gone so it doesn't count anymore).

Of the four, I'm a bit torn which property I would stay next time. Based on this trip, I would definitely only recommend the RH if you are a platinum.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by LAX Gambit
I've returned from a disappointing one-night FWN stay at the RH.

They said the hotel was pretty full, but checking online, showed more expensive rooms were available. We were only staying one night so I didn't think more of it and since I realize golds are not guaranteed upgrades. But I am now even more disappointed, especially if I hear someone else got an upgrade (no offense 7Continents). And the fact that the 2pm late checkout could be extended later since I was delayed returning just gets annoying.

With this one night, I can now say that I've stayed at all of the HNL starwood properties (unfortunately I missed out on the W, but it's gone so it doesn't count anymore).

Of the four, I'm a bit torn which property I would stay next time. Based on this trip, I would definitely only recommend the RH if you are a platinum.
LOL - 9/6 is the same night I arrived and got the suite, but truth be told, I was there for 6 nights....
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:49 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Lastly, I know I was on an award stay, but shouldn't the valet charges at least appear on my activity? Or do they not count as well? I was tempted to ask to get that comped as well, but I wanted some points to post for the trip...
Parking is not an eligible charge for earning Starpoints.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Parking is not an eligible charge for earning Starpoints.
ok, i'll give on the $30 valet charge, but what about a $25 bar charge? I don't want to nickle and dime...that's the hotel's job after all.

Lurker, i realize that you probably cannot address my petty problems, i just hope that wasn't the only thing that you focused on?

and to 7Continents, DAMN YOU!!!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:17 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
ok, i'll give on the $30 valet charge, but what about a $25 bar charge?...
Alcholic beverages do not earn Starpoints in Hawaii, California, Oregon, or Massachusetts.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.