Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making plat in Asia @ lowest expense

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:54 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by jaejaez
at the expense of making myself look cheap (which i am....), would anyone here care to share their 'strategies' on making plat in Asia?

Calling out to all plats in Asia! (minus those who get 100+ hotel stays for work...)
First wait for the double stay/ double night promotion. They happen maybe once a year. Arrange your vacation just during the double stay / double nght period.

Even cheap hotels will cost $100 a night - might as well enjoy the trip while you're at it.

Thailand is quite nice. I remember there were multiple Starwood hotels in Bangkok. So you do the "hotel hopping". Stay 1 night in a Westin then stay in a Le Meradian the 2nd night and then return to the Westin the 3rd night - repeat.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yeunganson
First wait for the double stay/ double night promotion. They happen maybe once a year. Arrange your vacation just during the double stay / double nght period.

Even cheap hotels will cost $100 a night - might as well enjoy the trip while you're at it.

Thailand is quite nice. I remember there were multiple Starwood hotels in Bangkok. So you do the "hotel hopping". Stay 1 night in a Westin then stay in a Le Meradian the 2nd night and then return to the Westin the 3rd night - repeat.
I prefer the current bonus points promo, it gives you a sense of satisfaction when you prolong your stay and spend. Remember you stay to enjoy yourself, you are not supposed to be a slave to the platinum card.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by yeunganson

If you want to do hotel hopping in BKK you can just use the WGS and SGS. They are right next to each other. Le Meridian is too far out from the BTS to be useful for hotel hopping.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kitsura
If you want to do hotel hopping in BKK you can just use the WGS and SGS. They are right next to each other. Le Meridian is too far out from the BTS to be useful for hotel hopping.
yes, but the wgs & sgs are perhaps the 2 most expensive spg properties in bangkok....so while hotel hopping would be easy, it won't help making plat with the lowest expense....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:08 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Thailand

I'll go with the Bangkok camp. There are so many SWs in Bangkok with a Four Points on the way to keep prices down, but ths year you should be able to find 2 hotels in the city at around US100 per night. Being in Thailand is inexpensive, too - you need to consider that as well as hotel cost. I have a number of reservations this year between 3000-4000THB. Depending on whether you want 25 stays or 50 nights, the stay 3/pay 2 rates can help lower costs.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
I'll go with the Bangkok camp. There are so many SWs in Bangkok with a Four Points on the way to keep prices down, but ths year you should be able to find 2 hotels in the city at around US100 per night. Being in Thailand is inexpensive, too - you need to consider that as well as hotel cost. I have a number of reservations this year between 3000-4000THB. Depending on whether you want 25 stays or 50 nights, the stay 3/pay 2 rates can help lower costs.
yes, but then again, the stay 3/pay 2 rates won't help with the cheapest way to reach plat....the best way to do that would be with 25 cheap one night stays....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
And you can ask the bellboys to bring your bags across the bridge from WGS to SGS and vice versa!!. You can also check into the next hotel before checking out of the first one, thereby making sure you have a room ready when you move across (hopefully a suit if you are already Platinum!!)

Although Plaza Athenee is a little bit further away - 15 minutes by taxi - it has great offers from time to time - many of them posted in Flyertalk by the Plaza Athenee reps here.

Personally, I think KL may be an easier and a bit cheaper place for a mattress run with the Westin, Sheraton Imperial and Le Meridien, all great propeties.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by camsean
I think Malaysia and Indonesia are the way to go:

Malaysia: LM Kota Kinabulu, 4Points Kuching, and the Sheraton Subang are all well under $100 per night.

Indonesia: Sheraton Bandar Lampung is about $50 per night, Sheraton Surabuya is about $80 as is the Sheraton Media (if booked directly with the hotel). Sheraton Bandung is about $90 on weekdays.
I don't think thre is any debate, the cheaptest by far is Indonesia. Malaysia is cheap as well. Bangkok will be 100-150 depending on the hotel and day ect.

Tax a 50 baht taxi? The Le Meridien is the cheapest as of late with a 3000 baht prepaid rate. Not counting the 1/2 rates that end tonight.

Originally Posted by saad
yes, but the wgs & sgs are perhaps the 2 most expensive spg properties in bangkok....so while hotel hopping would be easy, it won't help making plat with the lowest expense....
Exactly. The SGS is $150-200.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: SPG +Starwood Privilege
Four Points by Sheraton Chung Ho Hotel, Taipei County quite cheap as well, around 100USD+. It is not far from the Taipei City, approx. about 10-20 mins to Taipei City~ The distance from Four Points by Sheraton Chung Ho Hotel to Westin Taipei is 11.1km & 8KM to the 101 Building. It is a good alternative for people who go to Taipei and don't want to spend $175+ for Westin or Sheration Taipei~
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RiceBear
It is a good alternative for people who go to Taipei and don't want to spend $175+ for Westin or Sheration Taipei~
Taipei is also fast becoming one of the bed hopping destinations in Asia with LM and the W coming up (though sure won't be the cheapest).

speaking of cheap, though i realize Jakarta's the place to go for cheap stays, I cannot imagine myself heading there to clock up my 25 stays/50 nights. The city simply does not have enough to offer... while doing as many stays/nights in Bangkok sounds a lot more do-able (and interesting). those who frequent Jakarta to do mattress runs, what do you guys do during the day?? (except golfing)
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
those who frequent Jakarta to do mattress runs, what do you guys do during the day?? (except golfing)
You do what jakarta people do.. shop
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i keep travelling to jaipur (india) atleast once or twice a month....sometimes i stay overnight & sometimes i get a day rate at the sheraton jaipur rajputana hotel....my day rates are often as low as $60 per stay....& since day stays count as regular stays, it may not be a bad idea to check day rates with whichever hotel you are planning to do a matteress run with....
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by BonViveur
Bangkok Starwood properties are very overpriced compared against some other countries in SEA or against competing brands in Bangkok itself. Would never consider Bangkok as a place for status mattress runs if the lowest expense is the point.
If one wants to get a status via SPG for cheap, look at Indonesia and Malaysia. Some hotels may have special rates like 4-4-3 etc. Yet cheaper get a status via Marriott challenge, perhaps.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Taipei is also fast becoming one of the bed hopping destinations in Asia with LM and the W coming up (though sure won't be the cheapest).
Taipei SPG hotels are extremely expensive. Even those in a middle of nowhere, forget centrally located LM & W.

those who frequent Jakarta to do mattress runs, what do you guys do during the day?? (except golfing)
Girls Prices are much lower than in Bangkok or Manila, even lower than in Pattaya or Angeles, quality is very decent.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:52 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
You realize you respond to a thread from 2010? 2011?

Thb used to be cheap. Hotels in Bangkok were cheaper as well.... Ur nickname includes 93 so i assume u had pokemon platinum card that time xD

Merry Xmas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.