Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Four Points—Kuching, Malaysia--One of the Most Stunning New Starwood Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd

Photo Tour.

In January, I was in Kuching, Malaysia expecting to be one of the first guests at the new Four Points in Kuching. When I arrived there in the late evening, my taxi had to go around barricades to get through what seemed like a place still under construction. I was greeted outside and walked into the stunning lobby. I was told that they had tried to reach me, but had been unsuccessful (interesting, in that I had received a confirmation email a few days before and Starwood knows where to reach me, but apparently the computer systems were not completely tied in). I was also told they had booked me at another hotel in town.

I was offered a drink and was introduced to some management and staff. I asked for a tour and was gladly obliged (see photo tour). The hotel is just stunning. It was one of the most attractive new hotels I have seen in some time. I would have never imagined that I would think that of a Four Points.

The rooms are small, but well appointed with very stylish bathrooms. In particular, note all of the options for plugging in one’s electronic equipment (iPods, USB charger, even an outlet that can use USA plugs—better than in many top rated hotels). I had reserved a suite (given the prices in Malaysia, I thought it best to reserve one at about US90, rather than hope for an upgrade), but did not get to see one.

The public rooms were equally stunning, especially the main restaurant. The hotel is obviously seeking to be the scene for local functions.

After my tour, I spoke more with the staff and a manger and was offered more to drink, if I wanted.

I was given a packet with my reservation at another hotel in the center of town (the Four Points is close to the airport and not that convenient for downtown activities). Since, I had reserved a suite, a suite was reserved for me at the Riverside Majestic (one of the top rated hotels in town, but frankly not nearly as nice as the Four Points). The envelope included a certificate for a free stay (only good through June, so I guess I will not get to use it). I found out that the stay at the Riverside would be at my expense, but the cost was less than the room would have been at the Four Points. Still, the Four Points more than made up for my having to move to another hotel in the late evening.

On the way out, I mentioned the one most important thing to me—I needed my SPG points, and even more important, my stay credit. I was told that would be no problem and they then took my SPG card and then noticed that I was Platinum. Apparently they had not know that.

I was then driven in a luxury car by one of the hotel staff (I think it may have been a manger) to the Riverside.

Once there, I quickly settled into my room. I then went downstairs to arrange some tours for the next day, as I had planned on arranging tours for my quick two-day stay upon arrival. Unfortunately, it was very late and the Riverside was having trouble getting me someone to take me to see the orangutans and the Sarawak Cultural Village.

I had been given a card by one of the managers at the Four Points and I then called him and asked if he could help. He promptly offered me the nice car that I was driven in to the Riverside, together with a driver for my tour. I was told I would be met at 8:00 a.m. as I requested.

In the morning, I went on the tour of the Semenggok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre (highly recommended) and even got to see Ritchie, one of the most famous and elusive of the orangutans there.

After my tour, I was told by the person from the hotel who drove me that the car would be needed in the afternoon and that the hotel would find a driver/guide for my afternoon tour (which I would have to pay for, but the price was very fair). He also asked if I would mind being driven to the Four Points to meet it. I would then move my luggage to the new vehicle. (I had originally planned on moving for my second night to the Hilton, which is considered one of the best, if not the best hotel in town, and which is conveniently located in downtown Kuching, on the waterfront; I had reserved a King Executive Plus Room with lounge for US$85—a very nice property, but not as architecturally dazzling as the Four Points).

I arrive at the Four Points at lunchtime and am greeted by a manager who takes me aside for a chat. She apologized again for the hotel not being able to host me the night before, but said that they were now ready for a trial run, and asked me if I wanted to be part of a soft opening and stay at the hotel that night for free. (I think I would have been the sole guest.) As much as I wanted to jump at the opportunity to try this stunning new hotel, I had already paid for the Hilton; but, even more important, I wanted to be downtown to explore, as it would be my last night there.

I was then taken by her to the stunning restaurant and given a menu. I ordered some of the Malaysian food and it was fabulous. One of the best meals I had on Borneo. If the restaurant were in New York, it would rate one or two stars (out of four; and I have high standards, e.g. Per Se is Four). The food was beautifully prepared and nicely presented.

I was then met by the very nice tour operator that they had booked for me and was waived goodbye. On the way out, I reminded one of the managers that I needed my points/credit and was told that I would get it.

Anyway, about a week or two later, I still had not gotten my credits. I know it sometimes takes time (especially with a new property that is not even open), but not wanting it to be forgotten, I sent a reminder to one of the managers; at about the same time, the stay and points showed up in my account. Soon thereafter, I received an email saying that it was in process, as indeed it was. I was also told that I was given 3,000 points, which would be enough for a free night (which it is at a similar Category 1 hotel).

A truly wonderful hotel, with wonderful staff. I hope to get back to Kuching and to stay at this great addition to Starwood.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:38 am

Thanks for the detailed review - can't wait to check it out for myself although i doubt that i'd be getting the same level of service (am only a gold).

it seems that the new 4Ps properties are breaking out of their shells as the 'budget option' (perhaps now that the elements & alofts are springing up) to compete for the deeper pocketed clients (i.e. 4Ps in Shanghai Pudong, 4Ps in Sydney and now this one).

i don't mind at all - the more options there are to choose from, the more i get to save (well.. most of the times anyway )
Old May 16, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Dear Nevsky, great review. The photos look nice for a 4-star property as are many other NEW 4-star hotels around the country.

I've seen some online photos of the swimming pool which looks amazing as well (something like infinity pool design).

Love to check out this hotel come August during my planned trip to Kuching. Hope there are fantastic SPG promos after current Free Weekend Award ends on 31st July 2009.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.