Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Please could someone recommend the perfect european Starwood for romance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please could someone recommend the perfect european Starwood for romance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:20 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Id choose the Grand hotel in Florence_ the food in Florence is stunning
or the luxury collection Alfonso in Seville.
Here's another ^ for the Hotel Alfonso XIII in Sevilla. Sevilla is a great city -- architecture, history, beauty, restaurants, great food, flamenco. The hotel is terrific, and very centrally located to explore the important parts of the city by foot.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: Amex Plat; IHG Spire Elite; AZ Freccia Alata, SPG Gold; ClubCarlson Gold; Accor Plat; BA Bronze.
Westin Dublin?

Personally, I love the library suites, and it's a great city for a short break - everything's there in close proximity, I did the horse & cart rides and double decker bus rides, which were great. The Guiness factory is exciting for both drinkers & non-drinkers, and the whole atmosphere of the place is very congenial.

AND... It's extermely convenient to London/UK and everyone speaks English.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Apologies for posting and then fleeing!

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and replies.

The same day I posted the question, I had to (very unexpectedly) fly to Israel....I'm working on a Jewish charitable project in my spare time.....but this came to nothing in the end, very regrettably. Hence, I've not been on FT since as I have been in Israel!

I really appreciate all your suggestions.

I must say, I really like the idea of Bruges/Brugge too....it's one of my fave cities, however, since I'm putting one of my friends up, I'm really looking for somewhere with a *wood property so that I can gift her a stay with my points. Also, my cousin needs a city he can fly straight in to.

I am going to put all of your suggestions to my cousin and my friend, and leave it to them.

I really appreciate the suggestion of Salzburg....it's not one I would have thought of, and also Seville. Although I have stayed at the Alfonso with my wife and son, I would not have thought of it; the connection from Madrid to Seville is quite good, so it's a promising suggestion. I had been thinking of Madrid, so am relieved that so many of you have suggested that too. The suggestion of Dublin also seems quite inspired.

I think my cousin, at least, will want to avoid any of the German cities as his last business trip to Germany was rather eventful - like me, he is half European, half Indian, and he was quite badly racially abused both in Frankfurt (in a coffee house) and Munich (on the metro).....so, although I appreciate the suggestions very much so, my cousin will avoid any place in Germany.

Again, thanks so much for all the suggestions. I will put all to them. As I'm the one fixing them up, I don't want to be the focus of blame if all goes belly up, so at least I can help by ensuring the hotel stay will be great!

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spin88
I like the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam, great city to walk in, and its close to london.

and while its off your list, I am a fan of the grand hotel in Florance (second to mention this) and again off your list, the Hotel Danieli in Venice. during they day you can take the speedboat over to the lido and lay by the westin's pool, then at night venice is empty and great, great, great for walking in.

also the Westin in Madrid is a wonderful old pile of a hotel, close to everything, and madrid is also a great walking city.
I like the way you think spin- one of our most relaxing trips to Europe
was at the Pulitzer in that lovely neighborhood the Jordann. And Venice (and Danieli) is our favorite place of all. We never stayed at the Grand- always across the way - but that too is a romantic city. Who cares if Italy is "corny?" There's a reason people love it so much.

It's a shame that the beautiful Schloss Fuschl is no longer a *wood- I found that more relaxing and romantic than GH.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We just went to Brussels and really enjoyed it. As my wife said - "Paris without the attitude".
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Westinn Dragonara, St Julians, Malta. Very nice hotel and place for romance...
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
First choice would be Hotel Danieli in Venice. Second choice would be the Excelsior in Florence.

Doge Suite at Danieli, don't remember name of best suite at Excelsior, but it's on the top floor.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
My two choices are Westin Europa and Regina in Venice and Westin Palace in Madrid. Thoroughly enjoyed stays in both places on a number of occasions, including our anniversary on 08-08-08 in Venice ^.

Cheers
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
There's are some nice spots in Germany. The Elephant in Weimar or the Westin Dresden could be what you are looking for. In summer the Kamp in Helsinki.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Grande Bretagne Athens. Spa, rooftop view of Acropolis.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by X3Skier
My two choices are Westin Europa and Regina in Venice
The rooms are starting to look a little tired there, I found, although it was still quite nice and had a romantic feel to it (except for when approaching it from the street).
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I thought I would let you all know which city was chosen by my cousin and my close friend for their blind date.......

Much to my surprise: Dublin!

It's not really the sort of place which immediately brings romance to my mind, however, both immediately came up with it off the list I gave them.....so hopefully it will work out for both of them; thank you all for the suggestions.....but especially yossimills. Thank you.

And I'm quite happy too. I'm gifting my friend a stay there with my starpoints so that she can meet with my cousin.....and the downgrade will mean less points for me!

Now, I hope to be toasted at their wedding for bringing them together....I know, I'm getting ahead of myself.

On a side note, I'll be able to undertake a little reconnaissance mission for them as I have to go to Dublin with the wife and kids in a couple of weeks time!

Last edited by Shantanu; Mar 16, 2009 at 12:56 pm Reason: Added some more info
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat; IHG Spire Elite; AZ Freccia Alata, SPG Gold; ClubCarlson Gold; Accor Plat; BA Bronze.
Originally Posted by Shantanu
I thought I would let you all know which city was chosen by my cousin and my close friend for their blind date.......

It's not really the sort of place which immediately brings romance to my mind, however, both immediately came up with it off the list I gave them.....so hopefully it will work out for both of them; thank you all for the suggestions.....but especially yossimills. Thank you.

On a side note, I'll be able to undertake a little reconnaissance mission for them as I have to go to Dublin with the wife and kids in a couple of weeks time!
Woohoo!!!

You (they) won't regret the choice, as unlikely as it would seem. The Westin there is lovely, and the library suites have real personality. The GM (or someone else from there) has been known to lurk on here (do a search), and they treat plats quite well, as a rule. Getting some special treatment shouldn't be too difficult. Unlike some of the more continental options, the staff are genuinely friendly (in my experience).

There are easily a couple of days of activities around the city, and there's a vibrant night-life around Temple Bar and even outside of Dublin. The trip is a hop away from London, the airport is convenient to the city, and there are countryside activities all available as day excursions. The people of Ireland are just filled with fun, and the atmosphere is great, in the right areas. And, of course, everyone speaks English.

I hope that things work out as they should!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shantanu

And I'm quite happy too. I'm gifting my friend a stay there with my starpoints so that she can meet with my cousin.....and the downgrade will mean less points for me!

Now, I hope to be toasted at their wedding for bringing them together....I know, I'm getting ahead of myself.

If you ever have a next time with someone else, really any place is available even w/o a SPG. all you need to do is go onto Coupon Connection and offer X pts in SPG (youd book the night) for a night/s at say Marriott Bourges

I walked into The Dublin Westin the other week, I was staying at The Shelbourne (Renaissance) I liked the location of the DW much better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.