Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's in an awkward location far from the shopping and restaurants in Buckhead, although it would be great for someone using a car (but IIRC I think they only have expensive valet parking even though it's a suburban property). It's also far from the subway/light rail lines, but the hotel offers local transportation, including to the station on a direct line to the airport.
I actually strongly disagree with this re the location of the St. Regis. It is located far away from the mall (Lenox/Phipps) and from the restaurants located in hotel lobbies. But it is MUCH better located for high end shopping and good restaurants. The new Shops of ATL district is walking distance (2 blocks) and contains all of the high end shops (Tom Ford, Louboutin, etc.). Some of the best restaurants are also walking distance, Chops, Umi, American Cut, etc. The restaurant at the St. Regis, Atlas, has just been redone and has been receiving excellent reviews. And the bar scene at the St. Regis is second to none.

Let's put it this way, locals head to the area around the St. Regis. Tourists head to the mall in "Buckhead" (really, just the location of the high rises), which is where the Westin/W/Intercontinental are.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
I actually strongly disagree with this re the location of the St. Regis. It is located far away from the mall (Lenox/Phipps) and from the restaurants located in hotel lobbies. But it is MUCH better located for high end shopping and good restaurants. The new Shops of ATL district is walking distance (2 blocks) and contains all of the high end shops (Tom Ford, Louboutin, etc.). Some of the best restaurants are also walking distance, Chops, Umi, American Cut, etc. The restaurant at the St. Regis, Atlas, has just been redone and has been receiving excellent reviews. And the bar scene at the St. Regis is second to none.

Let's put it this way, locals head to the area around the St. Regis. Tourists head to the mall in "Buckhead" (really, just the location of the high rises), which is where the Westin/W/Intercontinental are.
This is where were going to disagree. Those stores are not for everyone and we don't what the OP of this thread wants/needs are.

Plenty of local residents head to Lenox/Phipps.

I've asked several times, via the proper channels, hopefully this thread, along with the threads listed below can be merged into ONE master thread. These additional threads may be helpful to the OP and other FTers.
Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?
What is the nicest SPG hotel in Atlanta
Best Atlanta property for sightseeing?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Plenty of local residents head to Lenox/Phipps.
I don't disagree. But when someone mentions "shopping" when they travel and stay somewhere, they usually mean "destination shopping," i.e. shops you can only find in a few places. Lenox/Phipps are pretty typical malls which you can find in any large city in America (albeit nice malls). The shops near the StR are "destination shopping."

And we don't know what OP is looking to do. The things near the StR are very much high end. The places surrounding the W and Westin in Buckhead are more middle to upper-middle class in price point and style. And midtown is great if OP wants to experience more ATL culture (Piedmont park, VaHi, Westside, Beltline, etc.).
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
I don't disagree. But when someone mentions "shopping" when they travel and stay somewhere, they usually mean "destination shopping," i.e. shops you can only find in a few places. Lenox/Phipps are pretty typical malls which you can find in any large city in America (albeit nice malls). The shops near the StR are "destination shopping."

And we don't know what OP is looking to do. The things near the StR are very much high end. The places surrounding the W and Westin in Buckhead are more middle to upper-middle class in price point and style. And midtown is great if OP wants to experience more ATL culture (Piedmont park, VaHi, Westside, Beltline, etc.).
Exactly, considering the OP never mentioned shopping only properties and locations. 😉
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I've stayed at every property listed, some many times. I'd only recommend St. Regis and IC. The DT W and Ritz are very nice as well. I think midtown and Buckhead W's are dumps. Buckhead Ritz is older and not memorable reminds me of STL Ritz. It's a hike but the Le Meridien is nice with plenty of suites and club lounge. MARTA train from airport is faster to Buckhead than driving in rush hour. When I'm staying in buckhead I take train from airport and Uber wherever else as I find parking expensive and an annoyance. The sushi place next to St Regis is one of my all time favorites.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
I've stayed at every property listed, some many times. I'd only recommend St. Regis and IC. The DT W and Ritz are very nice as well. I think midtown and Buckhead W's are dumps. Buckhead Ritz is older and not memorable reminds me of STL Ritz. It's a hike but the Le Meridien is nice with plenty of suites and club lounge. MARTA train from airport is faster to Buckhead than driving in rush hour. When I'm staying in buckhead I take train from airport and Uber wherever else as I find parking expensive and an annoyance. The sushi place next to St Regis is one of my all time favorites.
I think they are all at different levels. The W's - in ATL - are party hotels. Period, full stop!

The St. Regis is the best SPG Luxury property. The Westin Buckhead is the best full service property. Better than the Westin Peachtree (convention hotel ground zero).

I think the IC and Mandarin Oriental are better than the either of the ATL Ritz-Carlton properties.

The W Midtown has always been a great spot for me (even when it was a Sheraton) I've always been upgraded to nice suites.

I've also been treated very well at the W Downtown
The elevators are annoying and in summer the pool area is over run by no guest partiers.

I recently had a great stay a the Westin Peachtree and would return. My only issue was sub par wifi and when you're on high floors you get terrible mobile phone reception.

It really depends on what you need in a property and due to Atlanta's horrible traffic where you want and need to be. Marta from the Airport to Downtown, Midtown or Buckhead is the way to go if you're going to be centered and not stray from those areas.

I've never stayed at the Loews Midtown but have been to the restaurant, which is very nice. I've had close friends (two different people on two occasions) stay there and were not impressed. The hotel is in a great location and on paper it's comparable to the Buckhead Westin or IC, but in person the staff and service is terrible.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:53 pm

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I'm kind of shocked several people have recommended the InterContinental over the other properties. I guess I just assumed from looking at the photos and price ($149. per night compared to ~$300 for the others) that it would not be as nice. If I book the IC through AMEX FHR I can get $100 food credit which would basically make the hotel cost me $49 which is a great deal. I am actually local to metro Atlanta and am very familiar with whats around the hotels. Price isn't so much of a concern to me because all of the hotels are relatively close to the same price give or take $75. I'm really just looking for the best bang for my buck.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chris44344
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I'm kind of shocked several people have recommended the InterContinental over the other properties. I guess I just assumed from looking at the photos and price ($149. per night compared to ~$300 for the others) that it would not be as nice. If I book the IC through AMEX FHR I can get $100 food credit which would basically make the hotel cost me $49 which is a great deal. I am actually local to metro Atlanta and am very familiar with whats around the hotels. Price isn't so much of a concern to me because all of the hotels are relatively close to the same price give or take $75. I'm really just looking for the best bang for my buck.
For IC information, look at the InterContiental forum. Price is not always a lead indicator as occupancy and events at a hotel and in the city can raise or lower a price.

If price isn't a concern, choose what you think is the best property for your needs.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, AMEX Platinum, Marriott Rewards, Delta Sky Miles, SPG
Originally Posted by chris44344
I'll be staying in Atlanta this weekend and am looking for SPG property recommendations (or properties outside of SPG if they are better). The Midtown area would be ideal but the W Midtown seems to get very mediocre reviews.
I have an AMEX Platinum and SPG card so I could use FHR to get added benefits on some of the properties.

I've narrowed it down to the following properties (SPG and others):

Midtown:
W Midtown
Loews
Hyatt Midtown

Buckhead:
St. Regis
Ritz Carlton
W Buckhead
InterContinental Buckhead

Thoughts?
I stayed at the W Midtown for a conference, and I will not be a paying guest anytime soon. In my opinion, they are trying to be too hard to be trendy. I really didn't enjoy the box of condoms they left in my room, as well as a bar stocked as well as the bar in the lobby.

I would recommend staying in Buckhead at the InterContinental or Ritz. Another hotel outside of Marriott/SPG is the Mandarin Oriental, it is a beautiful property.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jr2z
I stayed at the W Midtown for a conference, and I will not be a paying guest anytime soon. In my opinion, they are trying to be too hard to be trendy. I really didn't enjoy the box of condoms they left in my room, as well as a bar stocked as well as the bar in the lobby.

I would recommend staying in Buckhead at the InterContinental or Ritz. Another hotel outside of Marriott/SPG is the Mandarin Oriental, it is a beautiful property.
Are you saying the property left you a specific box of condoms or are you describing the "intimacy kit" that W properties provide?? We're the condoms they left you not the right size/style or brand? Hey...I couldn't resist! LOL

W properties, like them or not, were a part of the "trendy boutique hotel" brands, right after Kimpton.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, AMEX Platinum, Marriott Rewards, Delta Sky Miles, SPG
Are you saying the property left you a specific box of condoms or are you describing the "intimacy kit" that W properties provide?? We're the condoms they left you not the right size/style or brand? Hey...I couldn't resist! LOL

W properties, like them or not, were a part of the "trendy boutique hotel" brands, right after Kimpton.
The intimacy pack with a screw on the packaging
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by jr2z
The intimacy pack with a screw on the packaging
That is a part of the brand standard for items in the mini bar. Are you aware of that?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I think they are all at different levels. The W's - in ATL - are party hotels. Period, full stop!

The St. Regis is the best SPG Luxury property. The Westin Buckhead is the best full service property. Better than the Westin Peachtree (convention hotel ground zero).

I think the IC and Mandarin Oriental are better than the either of the ATL Ritz-Carlton properties.

The W Midtown has always been a great spot for me (even when it was a Sheraton) I've always been upgraded to nice suites.
W Atlanta - Midtown - Wow Suite - YouTube

I've also been treated very well at the W Downtown
W Atlanta - Downtown - Mega Suite - YouTube
The elevators are annoying and in summer the pool area is over run by no guest partiers.

I recently had a great stay a the Westin Peachtree and would return. My only issue was sub par wifi and when you're on high floors you get terrible mobile phone reception.

It really depends on what you need in a property and due to Atlanta's horrible traffic where you want and need to be. Marta from the Airport to Downtown, Midtown or Buckhead is the way to go if you're going to be centered and not stray from those areas.

I've never stayed at the Loews Midtown but have been to the restaurant, which is very nice. I've had close friends (two different people on two occasions) stay there and were not impressed. The hotel is in a great location and on paper it's comparable to the Buckhead Westin or IC, but in person the staff and service is terrible.
W midtown. Well I've always had troubles. Rooms beaten to hell which pisses me off. IC has a nice room which honestly seems always underpriced per market. I can't comment on Mandarin as I've never stayed there. W Downtown is nice. I 've had bad upgrade success but I'd put basic rooms above W buckhead and midtown. St Regis is great. I really can't complain there.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Something nice about the W Buckhead is that it's not a typical W in style and in particular doesn't have all the dark colors, but I think the same is true of the downtown W too. I've never stayed in W midtown so it might be dark or not.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Something nice about the W Buckhead is that it's not a typical W in style and in particular doesn't have all the dark colors, but I think the same is true of the downtown W too. I've never stayed in W midtown so it might be dark or not.
That's funny. I think the W Buckhead is terrible. From the lack of upgrade opportunities since they have very few suites, to the overly feminine decor with the terrible bathroom setup is horrible!

I would never recommend that property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.