Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is Better - SPG Gold or HH Diamond?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Which is Better - SPG Gold or HH Diamond?

Without a doubt (in my mind), SPG Gold is a little better than HH Gold and SPG Platinum is far better than HH Diamond, but how about SPG Gold vs. HH Diamond? I know it doesn't sound fair to compare one chain's mid-level tier to another's top-level tier, but there's a reason I ask.

American Express just introduced a new HH Surpass Amex, which gives HH Gold with $20k/year (as their old card already did) and HH Diamond with $40k/year. (By comparison SPG Amex gives SPG Gold with $30k/year.) For the first time that I know of, the top tier in a program is available from credit card spend.

I had prevously planned on shifting $20k/year in spend from my SPG Amex to my HH Amex, but now I've upgraded my card and will be shifting $40k/year in spend. Some of my loyalty will also switch, as I try out the Diamond status.

So if anyone here is both SPG Gold and HH Diamond, I would love to hear which one you prefer, what the differences are, and where each has their advantages.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I think you will get tons of different answers to this question. For me personally, I think HH Gold is actually more valuable that SPG Gold. IMHO the only real benefit of SPG Gold is a possible late check out and sometimes a room upgrade. With HH Gold I have always gotten some type of room upgrade and either a breakfast certificate or lounge access. Now if we are talking about HH Diamond vs. SPG Platinum then SPG would win hands down due to the suite upgrades. Since you want to compare SPG Gold to HH Diamond I would say HH has a big advantage! (like I said previously I even this HH Gold is better than SPG Gold!)
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:57 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
HHonors Diamond, without a doubt (you can also throw in HHonors Gold too if you want.)

You just get more with it and they also let you choose what you want (much better upgrades, guaranteed breakfast, free internet abroad, bonus points, etc.)

What does SPG Gold get you? Late checkout and an elite bonus...and an upgrade if the hotel's feeling particularly generous.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you rate SPG Plat as being far better than SPG Plat?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:08 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Honestly ? Practically ? So far, in my many years' experience with both chains, HHONORS DIAMOND > SPG PLAT ** = primarily a free meal via the elite lounge. Pretty low expectations huh ?

Occasional late "guaranteed" check-out via spg PLAT status has added some value to my spg stays I will admit (and am grateful for because I don't ever have to fight for the published benefit - seems to always happen when I ask for it).

Otherwise - the so-called spg "upgrade to best room at time of check-in" benefit has been essentially no value, since it *never* happens (ok, once in 6-7 yrs of stays w/ spg). Talk about a paper tiger benefit. Who wants to go call starwood after checking in, confirm there *really are standard suites available*, and then go bak down to the front desk and fight for the promised benefit ? Gosh - by the time I could do all of this, my kids have fully moved into the basic room. Not worth having to beg for a benefit and start a stay out w/ a controversy. Most spg hotels I stay at, my sense anyway, spend more time trying to figure out how to *dodge* the benefit than honor it. HAs been much discussed across this starwood folder so 'nuff said.

So, the benefits of spg plat essentially are....free foodstuffs, however defined, in the lounge(s). Access to spg concierge, and occasional late checkout benefit - 'bout it for me. On the "food" side, HHONORS lounges trump spg lounges, and I am informed spg lounges are becoming extinct over time anyway.

Tangible benefits of HHONORS DIAMOND...access to elite lounge (which universally is equal to or surpasses spg lounges). Never had an upgrade I could attribute to DIAMOND status, but then 75% of my travel, which itself is about 90% leisure, goes to spg.

** One intangible exception - access to spg concierge is invaluable as I need access to empowered CSRs when I utilize my spg points. Hate waiting on phones to get to a un-empowered CSRs, so this is the fundamental value of spg plat to me.

P.S. Though you explicitly did not want a "gold to gold" comparison, there is no comparison - spg GOLD is a true paper tiger. HHONORS GOLD wins that comparison hands-down. I doubt many would argue otherwise on gold vs: gold.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Feb 12, 2009 at 8:20 am
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:27 am

Hhonors Gold is way better than SPG Gold. I have never once been offered a room upgrade as SPG Gold... okay maybe a higher floor or slightly better view... but not a real upgrade to a different type of room. As Hhonors Gold, half of my stays were at upgraded room, and some of them even at junior suites. I also got cookies, water, candy bars, etc... as Hhonors Gold but never seen them as SPG Gold.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:47 am
Suspended

Maybe you should be asking - SPG Gold or HHSilver instead.

SPG Gold is quite useless except for bonus points and 4pm check-out.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:49 am
Community Director Emerita

Add another one who thinks it's no contest. For several years, I was both Starwood gold and Hilton diamond. Hilton diamond blew away Starwood gold - as it should. In general, my Starwood gold stays were indistinguishable from a stay with no status. I received substantive benefit as a Hilton diamond.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I've been happier with HH Diamond than with SPG Plat. I find the upgrades to be more consistant and the bonus points add up quickly. I also find that award redemption via the Diamond Desk is easier than via the Plat line.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Add another one who thinks it's no contest. For several years, I was both Starwood gold and Hilton diamond. Hilton diamond blew away Starwood gold - as it should. In general, my Starwood gold stays were indistinguishable from a stay with no status. I received substantive benefit as a Hilton diamond.
Although contrary to popular belief, my time as an SPG gold (2001-mid '08) was quite good. I had been upgraded almost every stay. I'd been upgraded so often a fellow FT thought I was Platinum after reading my reviews. Although at Hilton you get lounge access as a Gold member.

I've pretty much given most of my '08 business to SPG so I'll probably lose diamond status at Hilton. If so, I'll just move my secondary business to Hyatt.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Wow! That's some tremendous feedback. Thanks! I never would have expected that so many people (especially in the SPG forum) would rate HH Gold better than SPG Gold. I've been very happy with SPG Gold. HH Diamond seems to be clearly better than SPG Gold, so I'm very happy with my decision to shift $40k in spending over to my new HH Surpass Amex to attain HH Diamond.

Another advantage I see to HH is the points earned when staying. With SPG, I earn 5/$ (3 as Gold or higher + 2 with SPG Amex). With HH, it looks like you can earn 29/$ (10 base, 5 double dip, 5 as Diamond, 9 HH Surpass Amex). Of course HH points are worth less (1/3 as much?), but still that's about double the points.

SPG appears to have an advantage with Cash & Points, transfers to airlines, promotions, and 4pm checkout. I'm sure as I become familiar with HH, I'll find some of the more beneficial ways to use points there.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Although contrary to popular belief, my time as an SPG gold (2001-early '08) was quite good. I had been upgraded almost every stay. I'd been upgraded so often a fellow FT thought I was Platinum after reading my reviews. Although at Hilton you get lounge access as a Gold member.

I've pretty much given most of my '08 business to SPG so I'll probably lose diamond status at Hilton. If so, I'll just move my secondary business to Hyatt.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:12 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
(side-question to Cheap Elite):

I have a working theory that when primarily traveling on a) leisure and/or b) w/ kids in tow, chances for upgrade go dramatically down. You mention you have a high success rate even as spg gold, whereas I have an abysmal, essentially non-existent upgrade rate as a) spg PLT, b) often with many months' in advance bookings (ie I am able to plan far ahead and book my resy, thinking ADVANCED BOOKING should trump a new booking, when two PLATs have the same shot at the upgraded std suite), and c) a very high spg starpoint account (some theorize high spg accounts = better chances at upgrades; I disagree completely high stpt balance is a viable discriminator). So, even w/ these three criterion, I never, ever get upgraded to a tangible upgraded room, yet you see high success as spg gold. Heck, last few stays at my fav hotel I could not even get a room on the starwood level (yes, I had lounge access via room-key coding, but in terms of pre-blocking got nada).

Q then is: do you tend to travel along, or at least w/ spouse but no kids, and/or on business mostly (weekdays for example), and if so, do you attribute your success as GLD to either of these traits of your travel ? Or do you have the gift of gab at the front desk, or any other trait you can mention that has positive impact ?

I, like many others, are always trying to unlock the formula to improve our travel experience. I have a firm belief that leisure travel, w kids, is a 1-2 punch against much upgrade chance. Would like to see if others agree or disagree.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. IMO, this discussion is a logical tanget off the core Q of comparing gold to plat. After all, its "all about the upgrades", right ?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK

I have a working theory that when primarily traveling on a) leisure and/or b) w/ kids in tow, chances for upgrade go dramatically down. You mention you have a high success rate even as spg gold, whereas I have an abysmal, essentially non-existent upgrade rate as a) spg PLT, b) often with many months' in advance bookings (ie I am able to plan far ahead and book my resy, thinking ADVANCED BOOKING should trump a new booking, when two PLATs have the same shot at the upgraded std suite), and c) a very high spg starpoint account (some theorize high spg accounts = better chances at upgrades; I disagree completely high stpt balance is a viable discriminator). So, even w/ these three criterion, I never, ever get upgraded to a tangible upgraded room, yet you see high success as spg gold. Heck, last few stays at my fav hotel I could not even get a room on the starwood level (yes, I had lounge access via room-key coding, but in terms of pre-blocking got nada).

Q then is: do you tend to travel along, or at least w/ spouse but no kids, and/or on business mostly (weekdays for example), and if so, do you attribute your success as GLD to either of these traits of your travel ? Or do you have the gift of gab at the front desk, or any other trait you can mention that has positive impact ?

I, like many others, are always trying to unlock the formula to improve our travel experience. I have a firm belief that leisure travel, w kids, is a 1-2 punch against much upgrade chance. Would like to see if others agree or disagree.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. IMO, this discussion is a logical tanget off the core Q of comparing gold to plat. After all, its "all about the upgrades", right ?
Well "my people" can't legally marry in many parts of the country! So I'm alone.

I usually travel on weekends and always on leisure travel. I'm sure that alone helped my upgrade percentages.

I tend to be very kind to those checking me in and frequent the same set of hotels so they know me.

Also, I never expected to get lounge access or be upgraded as a Gold.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I have a firm belief that leisure travel, w kids, is a 1-2 punch against much upgrade chance. Would like to see if others agree or disagree.
I think you may be running into a much more basic issue: are you booking rooms with two beds? If so, my experience has been that upgrades are much harder to get. Generally, junior suites, suites, executive rooms, etc. are rooms with one king bed.

The other factor that seems to negatively influence my upgrade chances is length of stay -- the longer the stay, the harder the upgrade. So if you're going on weeklong vacations with the family, you may be in a hard situation for upgrades.

Incidentally, the one exception to this is generally extended stay properties -- so to return to the original thread topic, you might have better luck as a HHonors Diamond booking in Homewood Suites properties, which often have two bedroom suites.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st

I am SPG gold and had the same lack of success of upgrades as you, till I started calling SPG customer service the day before arrival and ask if they would call the hotel on my behalf and ask for the upgrade if available. Now my success is about 90%. Guess the hotel Front desk doesn't want to upset the mother-ship. Also how bout having the kids/wife stay in car while you get checked in? When making the reservation if you are getting dbl beds, just enter in 2 adults, if you think the kids are holding back the upgrade. Most of the time kids are free anyway, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.