Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hello, I am your Starwood Ambassador

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LT Plat; BA-CCR & LT Gold; SQ-Solitaire; DL-Plat; SPG-LT Plat; HHonors-Diamond; Hyatt-Globalist
Hello, I am your Starwood Ambassador

Just recd a call from Ms. TN at Starwood.

I am calling to introduce myself and thank you for being a premium and highly valued SPG member. I would like to know a little bit more about your likes and dislikes so I can try and create a uniform experience when you stay at any of our properties. Also what would really like in your room as complimentary amenities (I asked for water, extra coffee and fruits). I can also help you with reservations for retaraunts, movies shows etc. Think of me as your concierge"

It was a pleasant surprise and i did not have the heart to tell her that I have had pretty good luck with a specific AMEX Platinum Service person and so i would probably continue using them.

Anybody else???
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
No, not yet at least
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I have only received these communications from a handful of properties when I have upcoming reservations with them, but not from SPG central.

One example is the Westin Ottawa where a personal concierge emailed me ahead of time and asked what types of things I required for my stay and offered things like entertainment, fine dining, attractions advice/tips/info/etc.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Nothing centralised like this for me either, but then again I'm not sure how much I would use them anyway.

Slightly OT, I have noticed that a number of European hotel GMs are following up to personally say thanks, or offer comments on the TNS post-stay feedback surveys that I have filled in recently. Seems to be more emphasis placed on the survey results at the moment.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:28 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
While I have had a similar level of service for the past 3 months I got a call yesterday offering this service officially with the extra benifits I was not recieving.

As it appears to be quite an intensive service from Starwoods point of view cant imagine it being rolled out to to many people, but I guess time will tell. From what they told me it is certainly invitation only.

I started to use it for upcoming stays in Whistler and Italy and must say the response I have had so far is excellent. Obviously the proof is when I actually arrive, but so far the communication and response time has been excellent!

A definate improvement of service from them which is appreciated!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:28 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler, Starwood Platinum, Avis Plat Preffered
I got a call yesterday from a woman at Starwood Corp- "thank you for your loyalty and years of frequent stays at Starwood properties" etc etc.
It sounded very canned. You would think as helpful as this is supposed to be, from the sounds of it, that they would have prepped me (us) with an email or letter, not calling my cell phone from out of the blue, which comes up Blocked caller.
She said it is a new program for only the best guests. And she was my only point of contact for reservations, needs while travelling, hotel services etc.
I followed up the call with an email asking more detailed questions.
It sounds like they are trying to keep us loyal to Starwood in a down economy and the cost of hiring these "Ambassadors" would be justified if they can keep us coming back (I am in the Ritz Phoenix for two nights and I can tell you it is heads and tails better than any Westin or W).
I will keep an open mind, and if it is real, then I will use her. But it was creepy how they dropped it on me.

David
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DavidVTX
I got a call yesterday from a woman at Starwood Corp- "thank you for your loyalty and years of frequent stays at Starwood properties" etc etc.
It sounded very canned. You would think as helpful as this is supposed to be, from the sounds of it, that they would have prepped me (us) with an email or letter, not calling my cell phone from out of the blue, which comes up Blocked caller.
She said it is a new program for only the best guests. And she was my only point of contact for reservations, needs while travelling, hotel services etc.
I followed up the call with an email asking more detailed questions.
It sounds like they are trying to keep us loyal to Starwood in a down economy and the cost of hiring these "Ambassadors" would be justified if they can keep us coming back (I am in the Ritz Phoenix for two nights and I can tell you it is heads and tails better than any Westin or W).
I will keep an open mind, and if it is real, then I will use her. But it was creepy how they dropped it on me.

David
Welcome to FT!

I guess I'm not one of those "best guests"!!

I will now go cry a river.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
I got one too... coincidentally i ahve two week long stays coming up over the next two weeks... and he referenced them both in the email. i needed the first one extrended by a day... he took care of it ... and for the second one, i could only get a room with double beds, so i asked for a room with a king... and instead, he confirmed an upgrade to one of the grande suites.....

works for me.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
I got one too... coincidentally i ahve two week long stays coming up over the next two weeks... and he referenced them both in the email. i needed the first one extrended by a day... he took care of it ... and for the second one, i could only get a room with double beds, so i asked for a room with a king... and instead, he confirmed an upgrade to one of the grande suites.....

works for me.
What the.......

Ok Lurkers, what do you boys know about this? Is this a new "perk" or program or pilot test?

Whats the dealie-yo????
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
What the.......

Ok Lurkers, what do you boys know about this? Is this a new "perk" or program or pilot test?

Whats the dealie-yo????
New Starwood status tier?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
What the.......

Whats the dealie-yo????
Originally Posted by yyznomad
New Starwood status tier?
I stand to be corrected, but when my current Starwood contact told me I would get a call regarding getting an Ambassador it was phrased to me that it is nothing to do with SPG but a Starwood initiative, hence not linked to Platinum status or any status within SPG.

Also my understanding is that is is still in a pilot stage at the moment and is aimed specifically at high spending Starwood Guests which I take to mean its not only the number of nights or stays that count, but the types of properities stayed in and overall spend during the year.

In my mind a very good idea, previously if you stayed 50 nights at a $100 a night rate or 50 nights at $400 a night rate there was no difference from Starwoods point of view!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toddml
I stand to be corrected, but when my current Starwood contact told me I would get a call regarding getting an Ambassador it was phrased to me that it is nothing to do with SPG but a Starwood initiative, hence not linked to Platinum status or any status within SPG.

Also my understanding is that is is still in a pilot stage at the moment and is aimed specifically at high spending Starwood Guests which I take to mean its not only the number of nights or stays that count, but the types of properities stayed in and overall spend during the year.

In my mind a very good idea, previously if you stayed 50 nights at a $100 a night rate or 50 nights at $400 a night rate there was no difference from Starwoods point of view!
Then regardless of how SPG/Starwood spins it, my "tongue-in-cheek" comment holds some truth.

I view this as something similar to UA GS.
The regular Plats are the 1K's, so to speak.

And it's too bad they didn't offer this in the past because I was definitely a big SPG spender earlier in the decade.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DavidVTX
I am in the Ritz Phoenix for two nights and I can tell you it is heads and tails better than any Westin or W...
David
Welcome to FlyerTalk, DavidVTX! Just my 2-cents, but while there are some Ritz Carlton properties that trump some Westins and W's, the Phoenix Ritz is not one that comes to mind. When I stayed there a year ago, I was so disappointed that I cut my stay short and checked out after 1 night to head over to a Starwood hotel.

Back on topic, I have had SPG Plat status since around the time that Starwood took over Westin, Sheraton, etc. However, I am not an especially high-rev client, so I would be quite surprised if I get a call about this. It is interesting to hear from others about this new program, though, and I am happy to live vicariously for now.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Then regardless of how SPG/Starwood spins it, my "tongue-in-cheek" comment holds some truth.

I view this as something similar to UA GS.
The regular Plats are the 1K's, so to speak.

And it's too bad they didn't offer this in the past because I was definitely a big SPG spender earlier in the decade.
I would agree much more of a tier within Starwood than SPG!

Maybe this is exactly the issue they aim to address, to stop people who are big spenders from becoming were big spenders.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My only fear is that perhaps this new quasi-tier will trump Plats in certain ways? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.