Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties pre 2007 [General Discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties pre 2007 [General Discussion]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2003, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Arrow Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties pre 2007 [General Discussion]

Using my 2 free nights in July in Honolulu. Staying at the JW Marriott Ihilani for 5 nights and then to Honolulu. I am currently booked at the W, but little info on these boards on that hotel. People ssem to like Surfrider and the Royal a lot. Any opinions on which of the 3 is the best and gives me best chance to upgrade with Gold? Might be Plat by then (need 12 more stays), so does my upgrade chance differ by hotel if I make Plat?
Thanks!
Old May 17, 2003, 1:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
If you make Platinum, you're upgrade options are better at the hotels other than the W. The W is small and they have very few suites and the most you could hope for is a higher room, possibly as a 2-room suite, which still isn't ocean front -- no matter how high you get.

As gold, in terms of upgrade potential you're definitely better off at the other hotels, as they have so many more rooms & options to be able to upgrade you to.

However, upgrades aside, I think the W HNL is a fabulous place. It's a very different experience than the other two, as it's closer to Diamondhead, rather than the Waikiki strip. It's smaller & more intimate. Private beach that is about a 100 yard walk through another property to the sand. No pool. My experience with service has been first-rate and I think the rooms & beds are the best of all Starwood hotels in Honolulu.

You didn't really say what kind of experience you're looking for, but if you want the bigger hotel and hustle & bustle of Waikiki, W isn't the choice for you. If you want quiet, calm, serene, understaded excellent service in a hotel that's a bit off the beaten path (yet still reasonable walking distance to the main stip of Waikiki), W is your choice.

Edited for clarity

[This message has been edited by AZ Travels the World (edited 05-17-2003).]
Old May 17, 2003, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I did not enjoy my experience at the W hotel as much. It reminded me of being in a not so nice Condo that can be had in Waikiki for $69.00 - $149.00 per night.

Of the Starwood Properties both the Moana and Royal are old world buildings if you stay in the historic sections and not the towers at either property.

The Moana has a nice banyon tree and courtyard in the middle of the hotel. Sunday brunch on the veranda is very nice. The Royal has more spacious grounds which is pretty incredible as it is smack dab in Waikiki. You will see what I mean when you get there.

A suite upgrade without a water view or a room with a water view may be possible as a gold. You would have to check with each hotel.

If you want the best property period the Halekulani in Waikiki is out of this world if you want to be in Waikiki. If you want to be next to Waikiki but not in Waikiki like the W then the Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hotel is awesome.

Alfred--

[This message has been edited by EXPLAT (edited 05-17-2003).]
Old May 17, 2003, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tough one.

For purely upgrade possibility as a Gold, I'd probably pick the Princess Kaiulani. Across the street from the beach, but lotsa Suites and different upgradeable "types" of rooms there and probably not too many Platinums staying there to soak 'em up. A Suite here or anywhere would be a long-shot for a Gold, IMHO, but not totally impossible at check-in. Still, many nice room types you can qualify for upgrade into here.

If you're gonna be a Platinum by then, for purely upgrade chances I'd go with the Sheraton Waikiki. Lotsa Suites there, and this one is on-the-beach.

But personally, as a Platinum, I'd take a bit more of a gamble and go with #1 The Moana, and #2 The Royal Hawaiian for my chances of an upgrade at a really fine hotel.

BTW, if you do happen to move up in status after you've made your reservation, be sure to call the hotel directly to make sure they show your Platinum status in their records. I found sometimes the hotels computers don't always update all data that changes in Starwood's system.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 05-17-2003).]
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I too am looking for some guidance on Honolulu hotels, and while I'm hearing raves for the Moana, from the pictures on the website I am somewhat less than overwhelmed! Tell me please the rooms do not look like this, i.e. circa 1970's Holiday Inn. As a Platinum I'd be looking for an upgrade to an oceanview, but unless the decor has been updated I may just go with the W. I do realize most people don't come to Hawaii to look at the room, and while I don't intend to stay there other than sleeping, I still would have hoped for something a bit more luxe from a property that garners such rave reviews.
Royal Hawaiian pic's seem even drearier (if that can be the case), lobby's & grounds while nice are not what I look for first when chosing a hotel, so unless I can be swayed otherwise, it looks like the W right now.
(Rates all seem to be around $200 for the one Nov night in question).
Old Jul 16, 2003, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mauld...here are a couple of pastes from previous threads on the Moana:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">spellbound2...probably just missed you. Recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Moana and were also offered a selection of suites. We were handed keys to all and checked 'em all out, but unlike you and despite the great view from above, we opted for Room 537...one of the beach/banyan view suites in the historic building.

The stay was great as always and The Veranda pre-set steak and lobster dinner out in the courtyard was a real bargain IMHO, considering the quality, quantity and location of the meal!

Love 'dis place. It's gotta lotta mana.</font>
And...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you purchase the lowest rate at this property (or internet pre-paid) you usually get booked into the Diamond Head wing which is this short, ugly and crummy 7 or 8 story blah 1970s era add-on wing to the Historic section of the Moana, which has rooms that are a bit like a motel room. As upgrades are always based on availability at check-in, you always run the risk of being stuck in one of these if that's what you booked.

The regular rooms in the Surfrider tower are a bit nicer but still pretty standard room types (unless you luck into a Suite, of course). The "tower" used to be a totally separate property...The Sheraton Surfrider Hotel. Kinda their mid-price range lotsa rooms but on-the-beach property that was Sheraton's way of competing with the Outrigger Reef Hotel. In the mid to late 80's the Surfrider Hotel got "merged" with the Moana Hotel as part of a refurbishment and operations consolidation which they felt would raise the quality and revenue of the Surfrider a bit. And now both are simply known as one...The Moana Surfrider Hotel.

But in my way of thinking, they remain 2 separate and distinct properties (3 really, if you count the Diamond Head wing too).

This is why I always attempt to get a room in the Historic Banyan Building when I stay here. High ceilings, nice plaster-work, reproduction antique furnishings...just more charm and "class" if you were. You sacrifice having a lanai, however.</font>
So you know my preference for the historical Banyan Wing. There are lots of fantastic suites in the Moana's Surfrider tower too, but be advised of a current renovation going on in that Surfrider Tower:

http://www.moanasurfrider.com/pr_tower.htm

Which could effect your visit and enjoyment and adds a big question mark as to how many of those good Suites might be out of service when you visit.

Having stayed at the W twice now, I'm not a big fan of the location or the rooms and views. They are small (unless you luck into one of the only 2 Suites) and rather standard W fair, IMHO.

The Royal has some nice Suites. And while the Suites at the Sheraton Waikiki aren't as nice as the ones at the Royal, they sure have a lot more of them for upgrade opportunities.

It's Waikiki. And there really aren't a whole lot of Luxury options in that madhouse, I'm afraid. There are a couple, but not many. And the Moana and Royal are about as good as you'll get with Starwood there. IMHO.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 4:26 pm
Suspended

i was at the Royal this xmas and new year's. i found the facilities to be a bit run down (wallpaper peeling off walls, etc.). i also found them to be not the most attentive to elite status. also, someone left a room service tray in the hall one night (dinner). when i woke the next day, it was still there. when i returned from the beach that afternoon (PM) it was still there. YUCK.

but, i think i would choose the royal over the W. the W has a nice restaurant but it is a bit out of the way, doesn't have a beach, and is basically a condo building in a neighborhood filled with condo buildings.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 07-16-2003).]
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
We love the Royal for the historic charm it has. We were platinum at the time and they gave us room 480, which, was a deluxe oceanfront. It was huge and georgeous. It had a seperate sitting area with beautiful draperies. We found the staff to be so nice. Housekeeping was first rate and Derrick at the Mai Tai bar is a great guy. We have booked this hotel again for our next trip. We missed not going there this past May as we went straight on to Maui. It all has to do with what your taste is. The Moana is a lovely hotel, but a bit to chancy for us, as the rooms are quite small. The W is just not to our taste. It's too boutique-ish for us and we like the hustle and bustle of being directly in Waikiki.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:06 am

Might as well chime in...

Have stayed at the W, only visited Moana. I have to say that the Moana is super-fab in terms of central location and historical charm of the building. I would expect that is suffers from many of the typical ills of such a property, at least if you don't get upgraded - the historic rooms are small and the modern additions completely lack character. But that is SOLELY speculation. For the record, I LOVED the beachfront bar -er- Veranda for "tea" (read: cocktails) at sunset.

Lots of nay-sayers here, but I liked the W. (I always like the W.) PremEx's comment "rather standard W fair [sic], IMHO," rather struck me - standard W fare still kicks the butt of most hotels. (I continuously strive to make my bed at home more like the W bed - with minimal success thus far!)

If you prefer classic to the hip modern chic of W, then definitely go elsewhere. But I was well pleased. The standard room (I did not upgrade) was quite roomy - we were two, and it was fantastic, but upgrade could be more important if you are greater in number. The staff was bend-over-backwards attentive - they didn't check us in at the desk, they walked us to the room and sat us down with a cocktail and did the business details there. View was mediocre - straight ahead was another hotel, but Diamondhead to the left, and ocean to the right. (All the rooms have essentially the same view, although high floors have a better chance of seeing over the neighboring property.)

Also a matter of personal taste, W is about 5-10 minutes walk from the central Waikiki hubbub. Definitely not long enough to be an inconvenience, but it makes a difference - W is on a main and very accessible street, but across from a big quiet park - very different from the noisy center of Waikiki. W is also about 5 mins (or less) from the gay beach (Queens Beach), which was a material consideration for me, but clearly not significant for everyone. Also, the restaurant is pricey, but way fab, and converts to a VERY happening disco (prob 70% straight / 30% gay) on Saturday night - if you're into that sorta thing.

All in all, I loved the W, but it appealed to a lot of my basic criteria. I could definitely see how someone with different priorities might choose otherwise.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:29 am

Programs: Gold Passport Diamond, SPG Platinum, NWA Gold
Does anyone know if the Moana Surfrider is still
taking reservations for Tower rooms/suites?
I will be there in September as a platinum and hope
to be upgraded to a suite.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:40 am

I noticed the W's website recently had a big banner enticing guests to stay for "Pride Week." I don't much care who their targeted clientele is, or who wants to stay there; business is business, and where guests want to spend their hard-earned vacation time is their own business; but if I'm traveling with my family there are factors that influence my selection, since that is my business. Your mileage may vary.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ronin:
I noticed the W's website recently had a big banner enticing guests to stay for "Pride Week." I don't much care who their targeted clientele is, or who wants to stay there; business is business, and where guests want to spend their hard-earned vacation time is their own business; but if I'm traveling with my family there are factors that influence my selection, since that is my business. Your mileage may vary.</font>
W's target market is not families with small kids.

That's why they have a portfolio of brands. 'Nuff said.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 1:56 pm

It is not the coolest HNL property, but last year I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki as a gold. We booked one of the Manor rooms for 75 bucks. We then asked what kind of upgrade we could get for the 1250pt a night award and were put in a huge suite.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
We got upgraded to the one bedroom oceanfront suite in the tower at the Moana Surfrider. It has 2 balconies, living area, dining area and completely seperate bathroom. The main balcony was huge. An oceanfront it is, you have to look down not just out to see any sand at all. Great views of Diamondhead. If you could get an upgrade to the 1 BR suites it is worth it.

[This message has been edited by vandesa (edited 07-22-2003).]
Old Jul 22, 2003, 9:59 pm

I would definitely recommend the Surfrider over the W. We stayed at the W for a night and were so disappointed with it (only one overpriced restaurant, no pool, limited beach access and limited views) that we transferred to the Surfrider. The Surfrider is a beautiful building with its own beach, great selection of restaurants, own pool, good shopping, etc). Enjoy!

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.