Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The JW Marriott Essex House is nice, club lounge. Right off Columbus circle.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Four Points Manhattan Chelsea

I am presently at the property. The location is good - steps off Seventh Ave on 25th. with easy access to MTA. Surge pricing had it @ $113 US last night - a good deal for Manhattan. But the lobby is a dump.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Renaissance midtown offers 2 queens! Just booked it. You can upgrade to a high floor, rooms look pretty nice. Hotel was built in 2015. 90K Marriott points. I could not find a SW which met my needs.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:53 am

Looking to book 4 nights in August in Manhattan, using my 4th night free prestige benefit. SPG Platinum + intend to use SNA. This will be a tourist trip with my girlfriend. Prefer a fun / quirky hotel over a solid business hotel.

I've read through this thread and done some research, and came to the following options:

Maxwell (previous W New York)
Lot of suites (more chance that SNA will clear)
Cheapest of all at USD 140/night (with 4th night free applied)
Somewhat quirky

Sheraton Tribeca
24 suites (still on the high side for NYC hotels)
Has club lounge
USD 150/night
Less quirky / more business

W New York - Down Town
Only 3 suites
Well rated
USD 160/night

Which hotel has a good chance of clearing SNA and is a good place to stay with for a fun holiday?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I’d agree to calling the Sheraton Tribeca a lot of things, but “less quirky” is not one of them. On any other scale than midtown Manhattan hotels it’d be the poster child of quirkyness ;-)
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by baxxter
Looking to book 4 nights in August in Manhattan, using my 4th night free prestige benefit. SPG Platinum + intend to use SNA. This will be a tourist trip with my girlfriend. Prefer a fun / quirky hotel over a solid business hotel.

I've read through this thread and done some research, and came to the following options:

Maxwell (previous W New York)
Lot of suites (more chance that SNA will clear)
Cheapest of all at USD 140/night (with 4th night free applied)
Somewhat quirky

Sheraton Tribeca
24 suites (still on the high side for NYC hotels)
Has club lounge
USD 150/night
Less quirky / more business

W New York - Down Town
Only 3 suites
Well rated
USD 160/night

Which hotel has a good chance of clearing SNA and is a good place to stay with for a fun holiday?
I like the more interesting location of the Sheraton Tribeca & it often has great rates. I LOVE the large outdoor terrace of club lounge there, even though the lounge offerings are just okay.

I think the midtown east location of the former W/ now Maxwell is very good for sightseeing visitors to the city as you’re close enough to Broadway theaters, Rockefeller Center, Centeal Park etc. but I don’t like the rooms that much and haven’t gotten an upgrade as a Plat without an SNA

i don’t know the W downtown at all.

Whst about the W Union Square? I actually haven’t stayed here but have wanted to. It’s location is “quirkier,” but not as far from midtown as Soho/Tribeca or Lower Manhattan.

Last edited by Travelosopher; Jun 17, 2018 at 10:10 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I like the Sheraton area, but not the rooms. The E Wow suites in W Downtown are great, but getting one for four nights sounds challenging. Thus, I would go with the quirky Maxwell, whose rooms vary from minuscule to amazing.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Travelosopher
Whst about the W Union Square? I actually haven’t stayed here but have wanted to. It’s location is “quirkier,” but not as far from midtown as Soho/Tribeca or Lower Manhattan.
Thanks for your advice. The W Union Square is more than USD 300/night - twice as expensive as the other hotels, so a bit over budget for us.

The Sheraton Tribeca has great views. The Maxwell hotel is horrible reviews. I guess with the Maxwell, you would really want your Suite Night Awards to clear. With the Sheraton, just a high floor with a nice view is already nice... Choices choices...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
I like the Sheraton area, but not the rooms. The E Wow suites in W Downtown are great, but getting one for four nights sounds challenging. Thus, I would go with the quirky Maxwell, whose rooms vary from minuscule to amazing.
Do you have experience with SNA / plat upgrades for the Maxwell?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by baxxter
Do you have experience with SNA / plat upgrades for the Maxwell?
I don’t have sna this year but stayed there twice last month and have stayed there several times when it was a W. My last stay I was upgraded to one of their best suites (not part of the upgrade pool). I am doubtful I’d be so lucky next time.

The Maxwell does have a decent amount of suites and thus your chances for sna are higher than W Downtown. Having said that, the non-suites at W Downtown are better, should your SNA luck run out.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:17 am

Hello, I'll be visiting NYC end of August and would like to know your thoughts. I have read through most of this thread but I'm not sure which hotel is better for someone mainly coming for sightseeing. I don't plan to spend too much time in the hotel so I'm just looking for a hotel with a decent room with a nice breakfast and centrally located with regards to sights and also I'd like it to be in a neighborhood which is not too far from the NYC nightlife. This will be my second visit to NYC in around 30 years so I really have no idea about areas and locations.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Malayaalam
Hello, I'll be visiting NYC end of August and would like to know your thoughts. I have read through most of this thread but I'm not sure which hotel is better for someone mainly coming for sightseeing. I don't plan to spend too much time in the hotel so I'm just looking for a hotel with a decent room with a nice breakfast and centrally located with regards to sights and also I'd like it to be in a neighborhood which is not too far from the NYC nightlife. This will be my second visit to NYC in around 30 years so I really have no idea about areas and locations.
A lot of the discussion in this thread is really splitting hairs and boils down to highly inconsistent Plat treatment, upgrades, free breakfast policy. My suggestion to would be:
- run a search for your dates
- anything between the Sheraton Times Square to the North and Sheraton Tribeca to the south is fine for sightseeing, food, nightlife. Tribeca, Union Square better for nightlife.
- depending on your budget, you may want to also include the FP and the Aloft in Long Island City (easy reach of Manhattan and close to Brooklyn nightlife).
- remember some of the properties around Times Square now charge a ridiculous "destination fee" (W, Westin & Sheraton Times Square, Westin Grand Central, St Regis)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:49 am

Is it true that Luxury Privilege rate does not include the destination charge? I noticed Luxury Privilege rate does not list any destination charge, but all other rates do. If i book luxury privilege rate at W New York Times Square, will they still charge me destination fee even though it's not listed in the reservation?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:22 pm

Thanks RafKa, what about the W Union Square, it seems to be right in the middle of things and you mention there is a good nightlife around that area too? Does the W charge a "destination fee" too?

Mikkel
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by remymartin
The Maxwell does have a decent amount of suites and thus your chances for sna are higher than W Downtown. Having said that, the non-suites at W Downtown are better, should your SNA luck run out.
i believe the w downtown has only 3 suites & they are not part of the upgrade pool you can't use snas for them....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.