Starwood On-Line Booking Problem

Old Jan 27, 09, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Starwood On-Line Booking Problem

This evening I was attempting to book @ SPG.com a 3-night stay at the new Westin Versa in Napa, California. The on-line rate showed rooms starting at $169.00, but when you clicked to make a reservation, they only had rooms at $299. Far higher than what I wanted to pay. Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong?

If they advertise a rate, then it should be avaliable to book at the advertised rate. If rooms at that rate are sold out, fine, then remove the rate and show me the accurate rate.

I'm frustrated.
Old Jan 27, 09, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Set the sort to price low-to-high. Sometimes the rate is there, but hidden somehow.
Old Jan 28, 09, 2:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Explorist, Relais & Chateaux 5C
Also if you have an SET in your profile, remove it to be able to get packages and promotions.
Old Jan 28, 09, 10:25 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by UA1kMFR View Post
...I'm frustrated.
What dates were you checking?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 28, 09, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Arrival Feb. 13, check out on Feb. 16. I just called and the GM is out and the Asst'. GM is busy. From my way of thinking, if you advertise a rate, you should have the rooms to back it up, or this is bait and switch.
Old Jan 28, 09, 11:50 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Arrival Feb. 13, check out on Feb. 16. I just called and the GM is out and the Asst'. GM is busy. From my way of thinking, if you advertise a rate, you should have the rooms to back it up, or this is bait and switch.
Hmmm. This what I get when I check this hotel for these dates:

"Sorry, for the dates you selected, this payment option isn't available."

I've also tried booking it in the reservation database the Customer Contact Center uses, but no availability comes up then either.

This is for 2009, right?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 28, 09, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
The on-line rate showed rooms starting at $169.00, but when you clicked to make a reservation, they only had rooms at $299.
On two occasions I have seen this occur, and I have called SPG and had a forcefull but polite conversation with them about false advertising, and they have contacted the hotel to approve the rate.

The problem is the wording on the website says, that at the time of search, that is the lowest available rate, but the standard response i have received is that rate might have been sold out long ago, which doesnt match what the wording on the website is. I have also been told that the rate dissapeared after I searched, but before I booked, and that is the issue. Again this doesnt wash when you search ten times a day for 3 days in a row, and are always presented that rate, but you cannot book it.

I have indicated that I would accept the first answer were they to change their wording to sonething like "available from $XXX.XX but this rate is loaded by the hotel as their lowest rate and was available at one point, but may not still be available". Obviously a lawyer could clean this up to make it sound better, and be a little more vague

On both occasions when the rate was honoured I have been told that it was a one time thing. I just find it frustrating that you waste time trying to book a hotel and get the rate to show, when it is not available.

d.
Old Jan 28, 09, 4:23 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Golden Toque View Post
On two occasions I have seen this occur, and I have called SPG and had a forcefull but polite conversation with them about false advertising, and they have contacted the hotel to approve the rate.
GT -

In my experience, similar to the poster above, the lowest rate quoted is always available, but not always easily accessible. I've never felt that it rose to the level of false advertising, or bait and switch.

You may have to clear a SET code, search under promotions or resort the rates under nearly any possible combination to find it, but it's there.

Further, in my experience, you can actually find lower rates than the one listed as the lowest by searching for AAA rates.
Old Jan 28, 09, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AlxStevens View Post
you can actually find lower rates than the one listed as the lowest by searching for AAA rates.
This is true primarily in the US. In most other countries, I find the AARP rate (if you qualify) is almost always better.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: