Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood to choose in N Amer for Easter fun(alcohol,nightlife,women etc.)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood to choose in N Amer for Easter fun(alcohol,nightlife,women etc.)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Currently trying to plan a birthday (30 shhhh!) trip that coincides with Easter (April 10-12) and looking at a trip to North America. Currently looking at the following hotels :-

W Scottsdale But will it be warm enough and pool scene be happening?

W Fort Lauderdale Will it be open or pushed back again? Is there enough nightlife?

Westin Los Cabos? Bit pricier to get there

Le Meridien Cancun Find Cancun scruffy, but at least has the tropics weather and pinacoladability at the end of a day.

W Westwood Love LA but visited before in April and was a bit chilly

Would welcome any opinions or alternative suggestions (not vegas though as I'm vegased out after the last couple of years)

Thanks

Westers
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I would guess that Scottsdale would likely be warm then, but the weather could go either way.

I wouldn't bet on the W Fort Lauderdale to be open. From their Announcements page:
"Hotel opens March 1, 2009. Taking reservations June 1st.
We open our doors on March 1st , 2009, and are accepting reservations for arrival on or after June 1st, 2009."

You could also consider one of the following:
4 Starwoods (including 2 W's) in New Orleans

Westin Key West

Several Starwoods (including the W) in San Diego

Sheraton Nassau, Bahamas

Westin Aruba

The Diplomat or one of several other options along the coast between Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Any SPG property in BKK or HKT !
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Any SPG property in BKK or HKT !
When did Thailand become part of North America?

Originally Posted by sc flier
I second that. Best party city in North America.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When did Thailand become part of North America?
I think Rambuster just saw the thread title, which did not indicate clearly which location.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Talking

Originally Posted by sc flier
I would guess that Scottsdale would likely be warm then, but the weather could go either way.

You could also consider one of the following:

Westin Key West

Several Starwoods (including the W) in San Diego

Sheraton Nassau, Bahamas

Westin Aruba

The Diplomat or one of several other options along the coast between Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale.
I'm in Scottsdale and in all likelihood it should be going strong here. The pool scene at all the hotels starts to heat up after spring break which is Mid-March out here.

I would also agree with the poster above who recommends New Orleans, San Diego and the Bahamas. I like the Diplomat, but it's kind of a far ride (expensive cab) from south beach. That place covers all of your needs during the adult industry convention that is held at that property in Aug/Sept.

I'm with you on Cancun -- it is a bit trashy, but that can be fun . The Westin and Le Meridien are fine properties and I actually did the Westin in Cancun with 12 firends for my 30th. It lived up to all of your requirements.

El Jefe
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by el_jefe
I like the Diplomat, but it's kind of a far ride (expensive cab) from south beach. That place covers all of your needs during the adult industry convention that is held at that property in Aug/Sept.
Just to add, the carpets always seem to be clean and linens stain free.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:49 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
take a look at the westin puerto vallarta. the hotel is very nice- not necessarily the greatest- but the city is very vibrant and a lot more than your average mexican beach city. weather should be great. i will be there for the last week of march for the 3rd time in 4 years.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
All those place seem great to me.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
I would say throw out Ft Lauderdale, my guess is that you want to be in/near South Beach and that's too far out of the way. Don't really have any insight on the others.

San Diego - the W or either of the Westins are well located. I am assuming you're not planning on spending your trip in the hotel, but if you are, choose the W. The others are closer/in the Gaslamp, so closer to the action.

Surprised no one has mentioned Vegas, always a good option. Planet Hollywood and Westin are not in the top tier of hotels, but I don't think they're that bad, could be just me on FT though.

And, I wouldn't base LA's weather in April on one experience. It was sunny and almost 80 degrees F (sorry I don't know C) this weekend at the beach. Amazing clear skies, but certainly not like this every weekend in January.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I would toss in the W Montreal. It'll still be chilly, but that city has fantastic alcohol, nightlife, women etc.

Also, that property is fantastic.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:08 am

It warms my heart to see people associating Easter with alcohol and women.

It was 82F (28C) yesterday in Westwood. Come to California -- we need your money desperately.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
W San Diego would seem to meet all of your needs.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
alcohol + nightlife + women = Easter

I suppose that could have been Christ's reaction to his resurrection.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
alcohol + nightlife + women = Easter

I suppose that could have been Christ's reaction to his resurrection.

I think he would be very cross to be honest.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I've considered San Diego but never really enjoyed my last and only visit to the city. Although the W there has always appealed.

New Orleans is a city that has never really appealed, would probably like to go there on a 1 night stopover first to check it out.

I am still tempted by Westwood and a friend has never been to LA and we are massive Entourage fans.

FLL still a strong possibility, with SoBe an option if the W wasn't open. Definitely not the Diplomat, stayed there a couple of weeks ago and couldn't wait to leave.

Not thought of Puerto Vallarta, after a bit of research it looks quite interesting, along with Los Cabos as it is a place I have never been.

Although it wasn't peak season when I went I can't imagine Aruba being that lively.

Key West definitely not my scene from what I've seen, has always looked a bit frat boy with beads saying hell yeah(also what I imagine New Orleans to be like),I'm more of a day bed around a pool, cool music, nice scenery kind of person

Scottsdale is still looking good, plus has the benefit of a revisit to Mastro's city hall.

Thanks Rambuster, should have put N. America in the title, plus I am sending my parents to HKT this Easter, and already have a trip planned there for myself in November.

Once again thanks, I'm currently trying to read up on all the individual hotel threads.

Westers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.