Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

St Regis Monarch Beach, 2001 - 2006 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Monarch Beach, 2001 - 2006 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2001, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Arrow St Regis Monarch Beach, 2001 - 2006 [Master Thread]

We checked into the hotel today using my Free Friday award, and two hours later we left the hotel. They put us in a ground floor suite, where the door wouldn't latch, the TV didn't work, and this was just the beginning. We were invited to tour the Astor lounge (Club Floor Room) on the Sixth Floor. They offered to give me a key to access it, however the elevators weren't working. One of the 'butlers' took us via the service elevator, which also wasn't working. We had to wait nearly a half hour in the back of the new Aqua restaurant service elevator before we could go up one floor. Our car took 40 minutes to come up from the valet parking. There were no bellmen to help us to our room initially. We finally decided that enough is enough, and walked out of the hotel (carrying our own baggage) two hours later.

The property looks nice, but there are lots and lots of bugs that have to be worked out. Most of the larger suites were still not completed. I would hold off staying at this property for at least a month, unless you really enjoy terribly frustrating experiences. Oh, I forgot to mention, their fire alarms were going on and off constantly. I had to call at least six times because the front desk was so busy they didn't answer.

------------------
Old Aug 4, 2001, 9:54 am

I have to agree in principle, though I have probably been more forgiving than I should. I too used a Free Friday award, and would have been much more upset had I paid, or even redeemed miles.

The property has a lot of potential and I'm sure they will work out the kinks. But of the kinks, there were many, and I have higher expectations of the St. Regis. Perhaps they should have worked something out with Preferred Guests to comp them in these initial weeks to help break in the property and staff, obtain feedback, and hear from those who have experience with the Starwood brand.

The lobby, courtyard, view, and public areas are all nice, and the rooms are nicely laid out. The bathrooms are especially comfortable. Friday night saw a lot of activity in the lobby lounge.

When I made the reservation, the concierge said he'd put in a request to upgrade me, and when I checked in the clerk made a special point of saying I had received an upgraded room. But looking at the emergency exit plan, it seems no different than any others on the floor, and looks north without even an ocean view. There was no special welcome for me as a Platinum member. I know these things may sound trivial, but I have received them at most other Starwood properties, including Four Points, so I was expecting more of the St. Regis, even if they did just open.

Internet access is not working, and the phone line is only connected at 24.4 as I write this! Yes, the fire alarms did go off this morning while I was in the shower, and the workmen are still working on things right in the middle of the lobby this morning.

I am sure that it will improve over time, but wonder how quickly they can do it. There are many things going for this property -- especially the location. I expected some things to be out of whack after only having been open a few days, but there were more of these things than I had expected -- and I believe the Grand Opening is sometime next weekend?
Old Aug 6, 2001, 1:36 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
St. Regis Monarch Beach - Report

I thought that I would write a new post even though one has been started but with the subject of Stay Away:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/002096.html

I had a slightly better experience so I thought that I would post my experience here.

I had two rooms this past weekend at the St. Regis Monarch Beach. The hotel opened on Monday 7/30 and we arrived on Friday. We used the free weekends stay to book the rooms about 3 weeks ago. We found the hotel and followed the signs for public parking. (We got a white chevy lumina as a rental car as Avis didn't have anything else so I didn't feel that a lumina would fit in with the other luxury cars at the front of the hotel.)

The public parking was underground and was full. Half the cars were for workers that were still carrying out work at the hotel. They were still painting some of the lines so only 2/3 of the parking was open. We found the elevator to the reception floor and entered the lobby through a side-door next to the concerige desk. Apparently, this will be the permanent entrance for public parking which seemed more like a service entrance.

Check-in was taken care of efficient. We were given an upgrade to their Astor floor for one of the rooms. The floor was basically the same as the other floors but had a couple extra services. You could have a butler serve you for an extra charge. The room had a nice view of the resort, golf course and sea. (Note, the hotel is set back quite a far way from the seaside.) However, the second room we had was on the other wing of the resort. We needed a double room and they didn't have any other double rooms on the Astor floor. So we moved out of the Astor room and went to another King room in the wing close to other double queen room. I was happy to get the rooms when we arrived at 11am. I heard other people checking-in and were told that rooms were not ready yet.

I was told that hotel has around 400 rooms but only half of them were open at that time. I saw a lot of hotel staff around and was told that they had about 700 staff there.

The resort has nice facilities. The rooms were nicely decorated. There was a big mirror and picture that was waiting to be hanged. The bathroom had a separate bath and shower. The bath was big and deep.

The double queen room was much longer than the king room to accomodate the extra bed. The toiletries they had were Bijan brand. The beds were similar to the W hotels but had nicer linen and pillows. They had a 32" (I think) Sony Wega TV. A Sony DVD player and you could rent DVDs from the hotel (not sure if there was a charge). They also had a Sony CD/Radio player. The bathroom had a volume control for the TV to be heard from the bathroom.

They had two major pool areas. The main area was pretty big and had 5 cabanas lined on both sides of the area. There were also many deck chairs laid out. As soon as you arrive, a hotel staff would come and lay out the towels for you and offer you drinks. Unfortunately, you cannot order food at the poolside yet. The cabanas will be fitted out with things (not sure what?) and they will charge $150/day for them to be rented out in the future.

They also have a golf cart shuttle that would take you down to the beach. However, the beach club is not yet open. We didn't go down to the beach so not sure what to expect. The pictures on the web site to look nice though.

There were definitely many problems at the hotel. I had expected some of the problems as it was their first week in operation. If I had paid the $330 special promotion rate they had I would have been a little unhappy with what happened. One of the main problems was that both toilets were blocked a few times. I noticed they had the same problem with one of the public toilets. That may be a big problem for them. I had to get them to come to the room 3 times to get it unblocked. Our room (king room) did not have a cold air-condition. The air felt warm. However, the air-condition in the other room was great. The fire alarm went off quite a few times. I counted 3 on Friday afternoon, and 1 on Saturday morning at 7am.

On both nights, I saw a lot of non-hotel guests arriving at the hotel just to eat there. On Saturday night, they had a ball and the line for valet parking was out of the hotel. They certainly had enough staff to park all the cars as the line was flowing.

Overall, the hotel has a lot of potential. I have stayed at a lot of luxury hotels and would rate the facilities here pretty high. The staff were well trained and understood what good service meant. The major problem was that some of the things just did not work which I am sure they will be able to work out.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 4:14 pm

Location: Santa Barbara, California, USA, UAL-Premier, Marriott-Plat, SPG-Platinum
I have read everyone's complaints and I saw the property this weekend. A friend of mine, also a Plat, used his free weekend. From the beginning he had problems. Was assured an early checkin-but was forced to wait over 3 hours to get his room. The room was right next to the restaurant and the service area so he could not open his blinds because the patrons of the restaurant on the lobby floor could see directly in. Further, throughout the night he and his wife heard people talking and the service people transporting dishes etc. Also didn't receive ammenity. Now he called the front desk and was assured by the staff that the manager would return the call. After 4 messages he called the SPG Plat desk and they tried 6 times to get the front desk manager to deal with the situation. Finally, when the manager did return the call, they were moved on Sat. to a Royal suite. It was very nice. Also received a nice amminity, and the front desk manager offered them a free weekend back at the hotel. Obviously, this property has tremendous potential and should really be great in about a month. (I'm using my free weekend on the 21st of Sept--hopefully no problems!) The only criticism I have is that this is the opening month. You have to expect problems during this time period. I would never had stayed during this first weekend and I encouraged my friend not to do so specifically because I knew there would be problems. Granted this property would have done well with an extra month to prepare, but it was forced open. With that in mind, for a St. Regis, alot of these problems should have been dealt with immediately.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 6:56 pm

The St. Regis will have a lot going for it one day. I was not miserable, but I was disappointed. My biggest disappointment was simply that I didn’t feel that anyone cared that I was there.

There has been a lot of press here locally (Orange County) about St. Regis striving for the only 5-star recognition south of Beverly Hills. So my expectations were high. I expected things not to work during the initial weeks, but I did expect more attentiveness from St. Regis as a whole, and quite honestly thought that Platinum status might count for a little more recognition on top of the normal high service level I’ve experienced at Luxury Collection properties. But aside from the comment at check in, I didn’t see anything. I could have asked for an amenity, but that defeats its value to me. Small as it may seem, the hand-written note and some token at other Starwood properties at least tells me that Starwood values my continued business at all their properties. And I am still scratching my head over the “upgrade”. I’d have understood it better if they simply said one wasn’t available. But I didn’t push it, because again for me a lot of the experience is to feel that someone else is doing all they can to ensure your good stay rather than your having to demand it. That’s made a big difference to me at other Starwood properties – even if it’s my first time visiting them. It sounds like even those who brought real issues to management attention had some slow response. I wonder how many experienced staff from other properties are being leveraged to run the St. Regis in these first few weeks.

Overall, the facility is great. Even the standard rooms are large and very comfortable. I didn’t have a bad stay, but it wasn’t in line with my expectations. I’m sure the opening of any new hotel is a daunting task, but I hope the St. Regis learns quickly from the experiences mentioned in these postings so that the rest of you don’t have similar ones. Interestingly, though, I wasn’t asked the usually trite “How was everything with your stay?” I would have gladly replied. I look forward to be able to read here soon that those of you staying over the next several weeks have great experiences!
Old Aug 7, 2001, 11:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

The St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

1 Monarch Beach Resort Dana Point, CA US 92629

The St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort (0 Photo)

My expectations wer raised very high. They came crashing down in a lousy awful stay.

Check In

We confirmed a check-in of 12 pm the day before through the SPG concierge. We got to the hotel at 12:20, and were told that we would have to wait until 3 pm to check in- no sooner. No apology offered. We then had to kill almost 3 hours- buying lunch and some other things in the boutique. We would have not arrived until 3 had we been told we couldn't check-in until then.

I was told we were "upgraded" to a deluxe room. I was hoping for a suite, given as the website advertises about 40 of them. But I know these things are hit and miss. I figured a deluxe room would have an ocean view, given that most rooms there allegedly have an ocean view. I asked about access to the Astor floor. I was told that they couldn't give it to us because it was not yet open. I now see that that was a lie.

Room

The room were were given was probably the WORST ROOM IN THE PROPERTY! I am not kidding. It was room 581. I was the first interior room in the south wing.

Not only did it have no semblance of an ocean view, it was also dark because it was in the interior elbow of the building.

Plus- it was right next to the main air conditioner for the building, which was so incredibly loud that you could hear it clearly in the room at times.

Plus- It was right next to the elevator lobby for the South wing, so we could hear everyone's converstaions while they waited for the elevator. Understand- Floor 5 is the lobby floor, and EVERYONE checking in and going to the south wing stops and chats there.

Plus- the room was- GET THIS- about 25 to 40 feet from the main restaraunbt balcony- not just that, but the balcony and window of the room faced this balcony, and YEP- EVERYONE ON THE BALCONY COULD SEE IN THE ROOM IF THE BLINDS WERE NOT CLOSED. This goes for all rooms ending in 81 or 79. AVOID THESE AT ALL COST. But 581 is most special, because not only can everyone see in from the restaraunt, but also, THERE IS AN OUTDOOR CORRIDOR, which is about 6 FEET FROM OUR BALCONY AND ROOM, which is used for the following purposes.

People walking their crying babies over there so as to not have their babies disturb other diners. But they disturnbed us.

People leaning over the edge of the balcony to talk and smoke.

Restaraunt employees running dishes back and forth to the dish cleaning area, whihc was right off of this outdoor corridor, which, as mentioned above was about 6 feet from our windows and balcony.

In so many words- THERE IS NO WAY TO OVERSTATE HOW MUCH THE LOCATION OF THE ROOM SUCKED! We could not use our balcony, which had no vioew anyway, and we had to have our blinds closed in our room at all times to avoid feeling like we were on Big Brother.

Service

The management's service is the worst I have ever experienced at any hotel ever.

At 3:30, I called SPG and spoke to Christy, and explained our situation. She was very nice and called the hotel and spoke to (I think) Henry, the Guest Services manager. She told me that he apoloigized and would see if they could put me in another room, and would call me in in the next five minutes. We waited 40 minutes, and no call came. We then called Christy again, and she sounded shocked that he hadn't called me back. I told her that we really wanted any other room in the hotel- didn't matter which one- and if they couldn't do it today, they could do it tomorrow. I told here that we were going to try to enjoy the day, and would be out of our room, but that he should leave me a message.

I come back at about 5:45. No message. I call Christy. She is stunned. She says she called him two other times, and left messages reminding him about my situation. No call back. So she tries him one more time, and gives up when he does not answer. She calls and asks to speak to the front desk manager, named Alberto, who tells her he'll be calling me in 5 minutes, and apologizes for Henry. I tell Christy I'll believe it when I see it. She tells me that she is leaving, in 15 minutes and gives me the name of another person in Salt Lake who she has briefed about the situation to call that evening if it is not resolved. We wait 45 minutes getting ready to go to dinner. No call.

We go to dinner (at the Ritz- I was so unhappy that there was no way I was spending another dime at the hotel until they got back to me). We get back around 9. No message from Alberto. I call the other concierge Christy refers me to, and she tellls me that I have to call COrporate Services- that they NEED TO KNOW that two managersa have lied to SPG about calling me back, and about the check-in issue and about the crappy room. So I speak to corporate services, and get a call back from them telling me that a manager will call me imminently. Finally, 10 minutes later, I indeed get a call from a woman whose name I cannot recall. She apologizes about the room, and says that she is going to personally inspect a room to see if we can move into it. She says "just give me a half hour" and I promise I will call you back.

We watch a movie. No call back. At 11:30, am VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY UNHAPPY.

SO I go the front desk and ask if they have figured out if we can move into another room. The clerk checks behind my view and comes back and says "No, this is the room you will will be in the entire stay."

"That's it?" I ask. The cleck offers to let me speak to a manager. I tell her - what's the use, and turn to go back to my room. But then I turn around, and ask to speak to the manager. I really needed to vent.

THE RESOLUTION-

Eventually Sandra came out to "handle me". I tell in excruciating detail all of my complaints, and she shaked her head, say I'm sorry 20 times, and tells me after she sees how royally pissed I am, (I never raised my voice, nor spoke with inappropriate language), that they "got hammered". Too many guests, not enough rooms, etc. She offers to comp my stay and invite us back for another weekend when they are more prepared. She promises that she'll check tomorrow morning to see if other rooms are ready and if she can switch me.

I go to bed.

She actually does call me the next morning, and say thaey will move me. We evetually get moved to a "Royal Suite"- very nice, but no view- but a thousand times more private.

She tells me she'lle be sending me a letter. I am under the impression I will get the equivalent of the award nights back. and another weekend fo my choice at the hotel in the future. If this is what I get, I'm satisfied, and I'll give them another shot.

The service at this hotel is hideous because they are so understaffed. We waited on the terrace at the bar in the lobby from 6 pm to 7:05 on Saturday. NOT ONCE DID A SERVER COME TO US. This is even after at 6:45, I told the hostess that we had been sitting for 45 minutes without service. Nobody ever came and we left.

I called later to let them know, but the phone rang 100 plus times withouit anyone answering.

The valet area was a disaster. We didn't have a car, but our cab told us he had to wait 20 minutes to get into the hotel.

The concierge, while friendly, is inept. We wanted to eat at Chianti, adn called around noon on Saturday, only to find they were fully committed for the entore evening. So we called the concierge. I told him that my mife is a vegetarian- no meat, no fish, and asked if he hd any area recommendations.

It took him 105 minutes to get back to us, but he had made us a a reservation at the Salt Creek Grille. We get there, and lo and behold- there is not ONE thing my wife can eat on the entree list. She had to eat soup and salad.

Beach club not open. I had called before I bought plane tickets to ensure it would be. They did have some beach attendants, though.

Fire alarms. All sorts. Including one at 7 am on Saturday. Good Morning!

Not only no butler service with clothes pressing as advertised on the website, but NO IRONS IN EITHER ROOM. When we called Saturday night, we were told that they may or may not be able to get one to us, because they were "running low on irons". Ummm....
They eventually did get us one, but it was warm- I presume they called another guest room and asked them if they were done with their iron.

The rooms were nice though, with very nice bathrooms. The Royal suite was very, very, nice, but not overwhelming. I would say it was about 800 sq. feet. It had a small bedroom, and a large living area, with one bathroom which was the same as the other room had. It was on the outside "elbow of the south wing and had a view of a nice courtyard and some consturction. While it wasn't an ocean view, it was WAY better than the other room. Much more private.

All in all, I would stay the heck away from this place. I would not use free nioghts there for the next month, at least. Service needs big time help. And management needs a kick in the you-know-what to learn how to treat guests.

If I get what I was promised I'll be satisfied. I mean, we would have left if we hadn't flown there. It was a miserable experience. Not a resort. I'll give them another chance, but only because they are comping me. But I'll wait six months, and hopefully by then, they'll have hired about 200 more employees.

Also- the level of security there was disconcerting. There were at all times, probably 10 guards in the lobby by the art.

Last time around, I used a Free Friday at the St. Regis L.A. I was incredibly impressed by both platinum recognition and the hotel and service.

No dice this time at the St. Regis Across the Highway From Monarch Beach. A disaster.

Here's my HOPEFULLY FINAL post-mortem.

Yesterday I called Corporate Services to add to my story items like the iron and the non-service at the restaraunt, and to ensure I got what was promised. They told me the hotel had told them that they would give me 1 free night at the property.

This compensation A) is not what I was promised, and B) is worthless to me- seeing as I live in Minnesota- I'm not flying to SoCal to spend 1 free night somewhere- particularly when I had such a thoroughly awful stay the last time. The hotel clearly did this thinking I would stay there more than one night, and provide additional revenue, or not bother coming back. The woman I spoke with at corporate services agreed.

Corporate services was wonderful- this is the first (and hopefully last) time I have resorted to contacting them, and I couldn't have been more impressed. The person who helped me was incredibly apologetic. The upshot is that I got a choice of 2 free nights at the property, or the equivalent number of points. Given the above experience- which do you think I chose?

Anyway, she also gave me 5000 points as a goodwill gesture. I told her it was completely unneccesary, but she insisted. I was serious, too. This 5000 came from Starwood, and not the hotel- and there is no way Starwood should pay anything for the hotel's hideous service. She was also incredibly apologetic about this weekend.

A few other things I got from corporate services.

I was not the only person to complain mightily about room 581. My guess is that they have probably only checked two people into that room, and both have been miserable. She was told that they are considering changing that from a guest room to an office. That's a good thing, because putting any guest, particularly a platinum member in that room is inexcusable.

She didn't actually get to speak to the GM who she called. She spoke to his "executive assistant" who relayed the communication to and from him.

What does it say about a hotel whose GM won't bother to get on the phone him or herself to talk with someone from corporate services?

She was told that the hotel had scores of other complaints this weekend about long waits for service, fire alarm tests, irons, and other things, and that they were going to have a meeting to discuss it. This is a good thing because the hotel and all its revenue-generating businesses were very busy this weekend. That last thing they should do is look at the books alone and think it was a success. it wasn't. First impressions are important, and they created a lot of bad ones.

A few other things about the property.

1) I found most of the "service employees" -ie. bellmen, wait service, etc., incredibly friendly and helpful- there just weren't nearly enough of them. Management is responsible for hiring enough people, and they did not do so. And dealing with management... well....

The rooms were very nice, with great bathrooms. But oher than that- and I'm being serious- a normal guestroom is not really any larger or nicely furnished than a nice Westin or W. The bathroom is much nicer, though.

I think that fewer than 50% of this hotel's rooms have ocean views, just by looking at the layout.

The beach is nice, but far away. We walked, and it's probably about 3/4 of a mile downhill through the golf course. There was a golf cart to shuttle people up and down. We took it up one time, and it took about 10 minutes. It's a long way. The resort is NOT on the beach. Make no mistake about it.

SPG and Starwood corporate made it right.Not the hotel. The hotel had numerous chances to make it right, and management blew each and every single one of them.

This does not bode well for the hotel.

I would not spend money, nor a Free Friday at this property until I hear better stories. I doubt you will for some time.

My prediction is that this property will not get its predicted 5 star rating. That is a joke. Nothing like what I went through this weekend would EVER happen at a Ritz Carlton- even with no status.

I also think that if they keep this up, they will lose a LOT of money. Starwood doesn't own this place, and it's doing a real disservice to SPG and the St. Regis brand. I can't imagine if they keep this up they will be allowed to keep the St. Regis name. It clearly cost a lot to build this place, but even if all things were operating perfectly, how can they expect to compete with the RC, given their major location disadvantage? The rooms are not so nice as to give them a major advantage, and the views from many of the rooms are non-existant, the tennis courts are across the street, and public areas are not nearly as grand as imagined.

The property capped it by not giving me what was promised. What I got was actually fine with me, because I wasn't exactly waiting with baited breath to go back.

Would you like to write a review on the The St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by IBtyen; Oct 29, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 20, 2001, 12:37 pm

St. Regis Monarch Beach - Any Recent Stays?

Has anyone stayed at the St. Regis Monarch Beach since 8/10? I am curious if the property and services have changed any since I stayed there opening weekend.
Old Aug 20, 2001, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I just stayed there Saturday night, after the St Regis LA, I am now at the Westin LAX. Although I really enjoyed the LA St Regis. I must say that the Monarch beach was not as bad as I heard and expected. The only bad thing I got was I had to wait until 6pm for checkin. Also I saw no upgrade whatsoever, and as a plat they said I cannot get Astor floor access, which I did get anyway. I Realized upon checkin that a lot of the guests were "*******s" treating the staff like crap, because of waiting to checking, the way I look at it is it is not their fault so why give them a bad time. So I waited and waited, and got my room. The room for a deluxe room was great, it beat Aspen's grand deluxe rooms. and came close to my corner room in LA. The room was in working order, except for the TV features movies etc. But it was a sony trinitron 32" so I aint complaining. I had a crappy location my porch was along a walkway looking at construction. The Astor floor staff were great! The two that I say deserve a raise were Michael, and Quanah (I have his name written somewhere in my luggage) They were very friendly and attenitive to everyones needs, yet down to earth. As a blue collar person who stays at some very nice resorts I need normal people around me, especailly on this occasion where I went solo. Some places I just get trapped with all these rich people who seem to think they are on a higher level. (This is not everyone) But unlike some of the other hotel staff the Astor floor staff were great, infact they are the reason I plan to come back next month, with more people of course. The property was beautiful, when walking around. The pool was alright. And the spa. Which cost me $25 on two occasions was not really worth it. I thought Plats got comp admission. I got it at Century plaza which is normally $12. But hey I'm on vacation as long as I have gas money to get home! I will post more info when I get home, and any feedback if anyone is interested...
Old Aug 20, 2001, 1:44 pm

Location: Meerbusch, Germany, Amex Centurion, SPG Plat, LH FTL,, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Sounds as Monarch Beach doenst care much about Plats!? Why don´t they offer access to Astor floor, if rooms on Astor Floor are available? Again an "exception"? Why did you get access, because you paid for?

I´ve checked the rates for the Monarch. They are pretty high, aren´t they? Any chance of getting a room for less?
Old Aug 20, 2001, 1:56 pm

How did you get Astor lounge access after they said it was closed? Am I missing something?

And be thankful your view was of construction. That's what I had after we got moved, and it was much better than room 581. By the way, anyone have an ocean view room yet?

By the way, the Monarch Beach website says that Spa admission is complimentary for all resort guests.

http://www.stregismonarchbeach.com/s...htm#P140_12571

(Edited to add link)

[This message has been edited by BoSoxFan45 (edited 08-20-2001).]
Old Aug 20, 2001, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, UAL 1K, AA Exec Plat, Starwood Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I also stayed at Monarch Beach this past weekend. I have a mixed review. I had to make two separate reservations, one for one free Friday and one for one free Saturday, this was necesary since Walter (revenue manager) only opened up the Friday night about ten days ago. I was given a Platinum executive suite upgrade upon check-in, golf course view (Room 161). The room was fantastic, 36" VEGA TV and a huge room. As everyone has stated the bathrooms are gorgeous. I had a large Evian bottle and chocolate covered strawberries delivered later to the room. I gave the agent checking me in both reservations and explained why I had two reservations. Of course Saturday morning I get a checkout receipt under the door, I stop at the front desk on my way to a friends country club for golf and I am told they need to move me because Room 161 was spoken for on Saturday night. The front desk manager told me they would move me a a Royal suite, which I thought was pretty cool. Upon my return in the afternoon I was given a key to a no view deluxe room, I call downstairs and I am told the people in the Royal suite decided to stay, so I could not get that suite. I then asked if I could keep Room 161, because if they did not enforce those people moving out of their room, why was I penalized and moved out of my room. In fact, my luggage was still in Room 161. I didn't make a big deal of the situation, but she finally relented and let me stay in Room 161. So I packed and unpacked for no reason at all. My only comment here is that I find this kind of treatment odd at a five star resort.

I had friends over for dinner Friday night at Chianti's (service was slow and uneven, food was very good). I had appetizers and drinks at Aqua on Saturday night (ahi tartare is out of this world good), a glass of house cabernet is 14.00 plus tip. I spent over 400.00 in two days using free rooms. I overall enjoyed the hotel, but again the treatment is odd for a five star hotel, room shuffling in a two day period is a little unsettling. My friend who is the CFO at a large Orange County corporation was with me upon my return to the hotel and he was a bit amazed at this room switching situation. Persoanlly, I was more embarassed than mad. I was also told that I could not get Astor floor as a Platinum, so I did not press it.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I wish I had a copy of the health club link there because the lady charged $25... Astor floor access was what made my stay great, I would think plats would get it... If I didn't get it I would have left, and went back to LA. Because I got room 183, no view, and I believe it was Superior or Deluxe. I will admit the room was cool. I hope they figure out the astor floor access issue. Because I as a plat got nothing, and without arguing would not have gotten that either. I am going to try to book another Saturday, and hope for a suite, or something with a view, and astor access.

Old Aug 21, 2001, 5:39 pm

BTW-

William helped a lot with the final resolution. I wound up getting 28,000 from the hotel, plus 5000 from corporate services. Getting what I was promised from the hotel never happened, and even though I am satified with the outcome, I will not go back to this property. Getting anything from the hotel, including attention while I was there, was like pulling teeth from a rabid tiger.

[This message has been edited by BoSoxFan45 (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old Aug 22, 2001, 8:53 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I think that sometimes when a property opens or changes hands it may take a little while for the staff to get accustomed to the corprate policies. Especially high profile hotels like the Monarch that is likely to be staffed with people coming from other hotels that are accustomed to VIP's more so than Elite level cardholders.

Case in point: The St Regis Apsen. I have read a lot of negative remarks about Platinum members claiming poor service or unfair recognition there. As you probably know, it used to be a RC. I have a two rooms booked on an award stay during their peak primetime period. They called to confirm my reservation and when I asked what they had me booked into the rooms they described, while not suites, were far from the low end. I asked for Club access via the Plat Concierge (a huge upgrade at this property, they put out a great spread) and was given it no problem.

Hyatt does one thing that's nice. Diamond's get access to Regency Club lounges regardless of where their rooms are.
Old Aug 27, 2001, 1:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Did anyone stay this past weekend? It's getting close to the time I have to make the 14-day advance decision whether to stay or cancel my reservation for the weekend of September 14-16. I'd like to know the odds before I place my bet.
------------------
Biggest Little 1K (in The Biggest Little City) In The World

[This message has been edited by BL1KITW (edited 08-27-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.