Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: When will we know any 2009 hotel category changes? Answer: before March 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: When will we know any 2009 hotel category changes? Answer: before March 2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:44 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
I noted from the excellent spreadsheet put together by cmhsieh54 on the value of redeeming starpoints for various hotels, that, on June 1, the 4 Pts LAX could not be booked online using *points. Interesting that the last date which is bookable online with *points is Feb 27, checking out on Feb 28.
I'm not sure why this hotel would not be bookable for awards online past February 27th. It is readily available for any date through December 31, 2009 by calling the Customer Contact Center.

This makes me think that something is changing at this hotel as of March 1. It may be possible that it will match the Cat 3 of the LAX Westin and Sheraton Gateway. -- Suzanne
That may or may not be the case; however, I assure you that they would not be end-dating their award rates to February 27th. What possible reason could there be for that when SPG is going to reimburse them for whatever category rate they are when you stay, not what they were when you booked it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Jan 28, 2009 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I'm not sure why this hotel would not be bookable for awards online past February 27th. It is readily available for any date through December 31, 2009 by calling the Customer Contact Center.

This makes me think that something is changing at this hotel as of March 1. It may be possible that it will match the Cat 3 of the LAX Westin and Sheraton Gateway. -- Suzanne
That may or may not be the case; however, I assure you that they would not be end-dating their award rates to February 27th. What possible reason could there be for that when SPG is going to reimburse them for whatever category rate they are when you stay, not what they were when you booked it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks. The website appears to be fixed and allow booking on points after 2/27. -- Suzanne

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 20, 2009 at 4:10 pm Reason: Fixed ubb coding
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed.

I'll admit that there are often problems with the award room availability for online booking, but IME it is generally hotel carelessness and not underhandedness.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Indeed.

I'll admit that there are often problems with the award room availability for online booking, but IME it is generally hotel carelessness and not underhandedness.
That's my experience as well...and why in 99.99% of the time, it can be fixed rather quickly.

One thing I did learn today though...sometimes if you do a search, the award availability option does not come up noted by the check mark. But, if you click on Book Now for a paid rate, it sometimes shows up as available on the next page, which will allow you to book an award online unimpeded.

Not sure why that is, but it was passed along to the web gurus as an anomaly earlier today. Might also explain why Cash & Points doesn't appear, but can be readily booked at the Customer Contact Center. We'll have to see how that all shakes out.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
SPG Pending Catagory Increases

Then it might be nice to get Seoul properties to input inventory for early 2009 (something Lurker 2 is working on) before the potential increases go into effect.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Then it might be nice to get Seoul properties to input inventory for early 2009 (something Lurker 2 is working on) before the potential increases go into effect.
All three properties in Seoul can be booked for awards through June 2010 by calling the Customer Contact Center. Not sure why you can't get it done online, but if Thyetus is looking into that, then I'm sure it will be fixed soon. In the interim, you have the call center option.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:58 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
I noted from the excellent spreadsheet put together by cmhsieh54 on the value of redeeming starpoints for various hotels...
That DOES sound like an excellent spreadsheet - where is it?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by b8b
That DOES sound like an excellent spreadsheet - where is it?
Cents per SPG point, at U.S. properties (Excel spreadsheet included)
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I'd be very excited if LM Monaco slip back down to a Cat 5. Pretty Please
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
As suggested, called my local service center (I'm in Saudi but reached Ireland after bring disconnected 3 times calling the US last night) and they checked their computer for 2-5 Feb 2010 and ALL 3 Seoul properties have not loaded any rates/inventory.

All three properties in Seoul can be booked for awards through June 2010 by calling the Customer Contact Center. Not sure why you can't get it done online, but if Thyetus is looking into that, then I'm sure it will be fixed soon. In the interim, you have the call center option.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
ALL Hong Kong Hotels are not bookable after Jan 2010!

I have called spg desk and they cannot help either. All properties in HK are currently listed as not available booking by cash and not by redeeming points.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
As suggested, called my local service center (I'm in Saudi but reached Ireland after bring disconnected 3 times calling the US last night) and they checked their computer for 2-5 Feb 2010 and ALL 3 Seoul properties have not loaded any rates/inventory.
If you are talking about paid rates, yes, that would be true; however, we've already discussed the fact that hotels are not obligated to sell paid rates 18 months in advance. They have the ability to do so, but it is their choice to take advantage of the opportunity or not.

If you are talking about award rates, then you got someone who is incompetent because I can book all three properties right now for Preferred (free) Night Awards using the same system they would use.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are talking about award rates, then you got someone who is incompetent because I can book all three properties right now for Preferred (free) Night Awards using the same system they would use.
Very interesting. I thought that one couldn't get award nights if paid nights weren't for sale yet. Very good to know.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Very interesting. I thought that one couldn't get award nights if paid nights weren't for sale yet. Very good to know.
It is very unusual for that to happen, and SPG would not force a hotel to do so, but it is apparently possible in this instance or I wouldn't be able to complete an award booking for Seoul right up to June 30, 2010.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by So Pang
I have called spg desk and they cannot help either. All properties in HK are currently listed as not available booking by cash and not by redeeming points.
Again, this isn't an issue in regard to paid rates. Whenever the hotels in Hong Kong are ready to sell paid rates, then they will load them. End of story.

However, just like the hotels in Seoul, the three properties in Hong Kong are also bookable through June 30, 2010 when it comes to Preferred (free) Night Awards by calling the Customer Contact Center.

I do have to comment further that it is unusual for properties to offer award rooms and none at a paid rate because if they aren't selling paid rates on standard rooms, they don't have to open the award rate plans on standard rooms to sell either. But, apparently the hotels in Seoul and Hong Kong are okay with it. <shrug>

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Jan 27, 2009 at 10:52 am Reason: checked the other two SPG properties in HK and they are also available for awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.