Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The Economy - Extend Everyone's Status through 2009?

The Economy - Extend Everyone's Status through 2009?

Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Smile

Originally Posted by stimpy
What is it about America and the psychology of the recession? Is it because of all the gloom and doom media reports? In my world travels away from America, I still see pretty well occupied hotels and restaurants. But when I recently visited LA I was shocked at how so many people are afraid to spend or be seen spending. Mind you Beverly Hills was still busy.

I hope that Starwood marketing looks at the real global numbers and thinks before they do something ridiculous like give away free status or dilute in any way this great program. If anything, I would prefer they make it harder to reach Platinum.

Are you running a fever? shhhhhhhhhhhhhh Don't give them any ideas!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:53 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
After 9/11 AA extended my Plat status without requalification. What makes this Loews offer pointless is that it is coming at the end of December 2008. By now people have mostly qualified. So all the folks that worked hard to qualify now see that they didn't need to work so hard. Next year should be much harder to qualify as travel budgets may be cut. So offer me something that extends my already earned 2009 status to 2010 so that I wont be as pressured next year but will still have my status when things are booming in 2010. That is something that is helpful. But telling me after I've already qualified that you are extending for another year. Not a big bonus.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Spoken like people whose employers pay for their travel. However, there are many platinum members who pay for their own travel, particularly small business owners. The downturn in the economy affects us very differently than someone who simply submits a travel voucher to accounting.

If due to the recession we have to curtail our travels, that doesn't mean that we are any less loyal to Starwood. The obvious solution would be to do what Starwood did around 2002. They temporarily lowered the threshhold requirements to achieve status. As such, loyal members whose travel was reduced, but still made a substantial amount of stays with Starwood would still requalify for status.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by clarkef
If due to the recession we have to curtail our travels, that doesn't mean that we are any less loyal to Starwood. The obvious solution would be to do what Starwood did around 2002. They temporarily lowered the threshhold requirements to achieve status. As such, loyal members whose travel was reduced, but still made a substantial amount of stays with Starwood would still requalify for status.
Sorry, but no. You shouldn't get a bail-out. Neither should the GM or Ford. If less people are buying your products, then you have to cut back. That's the bottom line. Giving you a bail-out while others are working successfully and paying for Platinum is just plain wrong. This isn't 9/11.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: plat, aa. spg.
Originally Posted by td_in_training
With all due respect, this is a horrible idea.

I don't care how bad things get - I won't be calling all of my best clients from the last year and saying:

"I understand the economy is tough - I tell you guys what, don't worry about paying me for anything in 2009!! I'll just bust A** for you this year and maybe in the future, things will turn around and you'll pay me for my efforts?? ...I gotta eat guys... Seriously..."

Starwood giving status without stays??? William - if you're reading this - please lurk elsewhere!!

td_in_training, you made me lol. It's great to start the day that way.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
I'm not sure how I come out on this. I am PLT, but didn't requalify this year since my company cut back on travel. HOWEVER, I will be traveling frequently next year. I have a choice of where to stay, and since my destinations are London and Geneva, the only thing that really convinces me to stay at SPG properties is my status. Otherwise, there are much nicer options, which are usually more convenient.

If my PLT status was extended, I'd be inclined to direct my business to SPG.

But I also understand the flipside rationale.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If the economy is really bad, hotel rates will fall and we can requalify with much lower expenditures of cash.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
As somebody who achieves Plat status by paying for 85% of my stays out of my own pocket (not employer "subsidised") I think this is a horrible idea too. I do wish Starwood would be able to customize what benefits for their Platinum they would offer e.g., as has been previously mentioned in other threads - a "SWU" type of activity where each Platinum is given 4 guaranteed suite upgrades for 4 different stays. But honestly, if you want to reach status at a hotel/airline then take responsibility and achieve it by following the stated stays.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yosithezet
What makes this Loews offer pointless is that it is coming at the end of December 2008. By now people have mostly qualified. So all the folks that worked hard to qualify now see that they didn't need to work so hard.
Two points. First, Loews did tell people much earlier in the year. They recently changed their program around a bit and notified everyone then that this would be happening.

Secondly, the Loews program and the Starwood program are apples and oranges. The Loews program does not have any "point" accrual. It does have some very nice features like suite upgrades when the reservation is made rather than at check-in and $100 spending toward food and services for every stay. But until this recent change in the Loews program, once someone made an elite level there were at that level pretty much forever. I think Loews realized this was slowly making a very large number of permanant elites. I do believe that going forward, everyone has to meet certain stay requirements to keep their elite status moving forward.

So in reality, Loews is moving a little closer to the Starwood program by making their elites requalify every year. They just gave everyone an extra year's notice before doing so.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:08 pm

No changes please

Firstly as someone who operates multiple businesses,I want to see no changes to the program in 2009 but a more consistent delivery of top tier benefits.
1. No bail out for Plats who are not travelling.If Plat status is so important to you rackem up on weekends.
2. No changes to SPG and NO NEW TIER levels to keep the fish interested
3. Hotel rates are falling...just look at NYC levels for late December compared to a year ago.

I have 14 stays already planned (but not booked yet) for 2009. I intend to requalify in 2009...the way it was meant to.

4. No more double stay promotions.
The above points should make be popular
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Neither should the GM or Ford.
You mean GM & Chrysler. Ford took the tongue lashing for the benefit of their suppliers, not for an interest free loan.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by hhoope01
So in reality, Loews is moving a little closer to the Starwood program by making their elites requalify every year. They just gave everyone an extra year's notice before doing so.
I think that this gets to the intent of the Lowe's 'offer' - they are in the nidst of an extended re-launch of their program, and this extension is an integral part of the re-launch. Good idea - just as it may not be needed by a solidly-based program as SPG.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Sorry, but no. You shouldn't get a bail-out. Neither should the GM or Ford. If less people are buying your products, then you have to cut back. That's the bottom line. Giving you a bail-out while others are working successfully and paying for Platinum is just plain wrong. This isn't 9/11.
Calling it a bail out is a bit extreme. Comparing extending status with companies who just received 17B is absurd. Just for the record I have 55 nights this year and 6 more coming up next week. This isn't about me.

My point is that many platinum members are platinum purely by virtue of their employers. As such this indignation about working to earn their status seems misplaced at best.

The difficulty that Starwood faces is many people have had to curtail their travel due to this highly set of circumstances resulting in the collapse of the housing market, credit market, and potentially the domestic automobile market. As such special considerations are appropriate.

We've been showing Starwood loyalty for years. Here is Starwood's opportunity to return the favor.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by clarkef
We've been showing Starwood loyalty for years. Here is Starwood's opportunity to return the favor.
Remember, however, that *wood has offered more opportunities for double stay credits this year than EVER BEFORE. I think that there have been plenty of chances for folks who were aware that their travel plans would curtail in Q4 to be proactive about choosing smart promotions this year that would've allowed them to have retained their Plat status.

I've been on the other side of the equation this year with more stays in 2009 than ever before.

I would not be in favor of extending status for anyone who was unable to meet the criteria in 2009, given the very generous bonus offers that were extended.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by aussiechris
Firstly as someone who operates multiple businesses,I want to see no changes to the program in 2009 but a more consistent delivery of top tier benefits.

I concur exactly. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.