Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Receive Starpoints or credit for declining housekeeping.

See the Starwood Green Choice Program Description & FAQ for details.

Green Choice options, awarded at check out for each night you decline housekeeping services (except day of departure) :
North America & Europe/Middle East
500 Starpoints, at participating Sheraton, Westin, Luxury Collection, Le Méridien, St. Regis and W locations.
250 Starpoints at participating Aloft, Element and Four Points by Sheraton locations.
Or $5 USD (amount may change based on location/region) voucher at participating food and beverage outlets within the hotel.
Latin America
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option or $5 Food & Beverage option only
Asia Pacific
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option only.

The maximum number of Green Choice nights allowed is determined by each hotel, but is normally 3 consecutive nights. For longer stays, after housekeeping on the 4th night, you can usually then have another 3 consecutive Green Choice nights.

Flyertalk wiki of participating and non-participating Green Choice properties :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1503438-post-properties-participate-make-green-choice-program.html#post21451970
Print Wikipost

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by dhammer53
You do realize that by taking advantage of these offers, we're going to put some people out of work.

dh

First thing I thought of. And times are tough--for me, too, but more so for them.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by ldsant
Per usual, the Seattle Sheraton is ahead of others on good customer service!
By offering to not provide service... Interesting approach.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This is one of the best ideas I have heard recently. Nice one - they need to do this system wide.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:51 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
So how many points can I get if I park my own car and they can lay off the valet?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
This is a great idea and I would definitely go for the points.

Would be great to see a thread on hotels that have offers for declining housekeeping. This may influence where I stay.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
Sounds great to me. Most places don't change sheets during your stay, and now I don't have to worry about the housekeeper putting away the iron and moving my toiletries around in the bathroom.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dhammer53
You do realize that by taking advantage of these offers, we're going to put some people out of work.

dh
It is a valid point. Unfortunately the stark reality of business and progress is that with either technological advancements or changes in spending patterns, various industries will be negatively affected. That has been happening since the industrial revolution.

Some recent jobs which have disappeared or been significantly reduced include:

gas attendents (replaced by self-service and pay at the pump)
local phone operators (replaced by direct dial)
bank tellers (reduced due to ATM machines and direct deposit)
travel agents (reduced due to internet bookings)

It is truly unfortunate when jobs are negatively affected, but the alternative is a lack of progress and competitiveness.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA
Nice idea, but... this does open the door for some future time for charging for housekeeping.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I agree it's a great idea esp considering I usually put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign up most days. I actually find turn down service vaguely creepy.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by Recreation
I actually find turn down service vaguely creepy.
Except when flying F and a pretty OZ flight attendant turns down your bed....
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by travelor5201
I was in Tokyo for awhile this year. The Sheraton offered $5 a day for not having the room cleaned. You could do it two days in a row and then they wanted to clean. I had to spend it in the hotel, but the free money was great.
Is this service still offered at the Sheraton Tokyo?
Are there any other hotels that offer "benefits" for not taking housekeeping service?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this service still offered at the Sheraton Tokyo?
Are there any other hotels that offer "benefits" for not taking housekeeping service?
Did not see this offered at the Sheraton Miyako a week ago. FWIW, hotel completely sold out on days I was there so housekeeping pretty slammed.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
From a purely selfish perspective, I would take the 500 pts and run. From a human perspective I would have to decline.

Service is everything to me, a good housekeeper can make that difference. I usually leave a note and small tip each day saying thanks, I have never had an issue with a light out, or remote not working or alarm set to 4am or anything. I value the importance of what they do, and like I said for me, it does make a stay useful.

Now, if a hotel is noticing that a majority of guests are DND's, then this program would probably make sense so they can staff accordingly, as an added bonus to you, you get a kickback.

choices choices choices
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sleeperette
I realize that I have been living under false pretenses...I like to go to upscale hotels and tip the maid $ 5.-- so I get extra pillows and more cofee bags.

I realize that I can make $ 5.-- a day by sleeping in dirty bed linen... I 3,000 days I could save enough to buy a Swiss first class ticket LAX-ZRH-LAX ...
How would the savings equal "dirty bed linen?" Maybe a difference of opinion but I would hardly call a bed I've slept in one or two nights dirty bed linen. Sure I want it fresh between guests but if I'm staying in a room for a few days I wouldn't call the linens dirty.

I too am someone who always leaves the do not disturb up. Part of it is paranoia that something will get taken and some of it is that the room is usually pretty messy. However I do make sure I clean-up all my garbage and do my best to straighten up before I check-out.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by clarkef
It is a valid point. Unfortunately the stark reality of business and progress is that with either technological advancements or changes in spending patterns, various industries will be negatively affected. That has been happening since the industrial revolution.

Some recent jobs which have disappeared or been significantly reduced include:

gas attendents (replaced by self-service and pay at the pump)
local phone operators (replaced by direct dial)
bank tellers (reduced due to ATM machines and direct deposit)
travel agents (reduced due to internet bookings)

It is truly unfortunate when jobs are negatively affected, but the alternative is a lack of progress and competitiveness.
I'll be sure and watch out for an army of Roombas during my next stay.

Seriously though, I don't know exactly how housekeeping staff are scheduled but when I worked front desk at a hotel during my university days, the housekeeping manager was always on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I remember many nights she broke down in tears from the pressure. I got the impression they were consistently and severely understaffed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.