Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Receive Starpoints or credit for declining housekeeping.

See the Starwood Green Choice Program Description & FAQ for details.

Green Choice options, awarded at check out for each night you decline housekeeping services (except day of departure) :
North America & Europe/Middle East
500 Starpoints, at participating Sheraton, Westin, Luxury Collection, Le Méridien, St. Regis and W locations.
250 Starpoints at participating Aloft, Element and Four Points by Sheraton locations.
Or $5 USD (amount may change based on location/region) voucher at participating food and beverage outlets within the hotel.
Latin America
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option or $5 Food & Beverage option only
Asia Pacific
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option only.

The maximum number of Green Choice nights allowed is determined by each hotel, but is normally 3 consecutive nights. For longer stays, after housekeeping on the 4th night, you can usually then have another 3 consecutive Green Choice nights.

Flyertalk wiki of participating and non-participating Green Choice properties :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1503438-post-properties-participate-make-green-choice-program.html#post21451970
Print Wikipost

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Dang, I'm all over this. I always rehang towels and clean up after myself. With the duvets on the beds, its so easy to put the room back together after a night.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I agree, but from Starwood's standpoint, do they really want people in their rooms for 5 days without cleaning them (which is what I would do for 2500 pts!). For the upkeep/longevity of rooms, a daily cleaning is definately very helpful, considering how many slobs there are out there that can do alot of damage in a work week.
Many extended stay chains (Suburban for one) don't provide daily service to begin with. Sheraton could/should clean the rooms every fourth day or so. I for one would love this option!^
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign everyday and think it's extremely ecofriendly - I would jump on this with both feet for 500 Starpoints. Then again, I make sure to get the refund on hotel safes (most often Choice Hotels) and even decline the USA Today for 75 cents, so I might just be thrifty . . .
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Sign me up!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by pitbrian

Its a win- win. ^
But win-win-lose if you include housekeeping staff.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting idea. Kind of like the "a la carte" pricing movement sweeping the airline industry: pay only for what you use. As this thread indicates, not everyone wants daily housekeeping, and if there's "something in it" for the guest to decline the service, many will.

I remember reading a stat several years ago about the cost of cleaning a hotel room, and it seemed high (unfortunately, I can't remember the actual number). Obviously, the hotel thinks it can still benefit by giving 5 bucks in benefits to guests. And the Starwood bonus takes care of biz travellers not paying their own way.

I could imagine this becoming a trend.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Amex Centurion
This is absolutely fantastic. Here's another vote to roll this out worldwide. ^ How ironic would it be to decline housekeeping for $5 in a $900 room at the St Regis?

Next up: decline hot water usage for another $5.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I reported on the Sheraton Kauai thread that they offered 1 free breakfast buffet per day if the maid didn't service the room.
My poor wife didn't eat breakfast.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
With the sloppyness and inconsistent housekeeping I've received in 2008 (far more than 2007 or 2006), the chance to earn back some points to forgo a few days of service is a great idea.

I assume we could still call down for extra shampoo, etc. as needed without affecting the trade?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I reported on the Sheraton Kauai thread that they offered 1 free breakfast buffet per day if the maid didn't service the room.
My poor wife didn't eat breakfast.
After that episode, was she still your wife?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
As another who keeps the "Do Not Disturb" sign up, this is a great idea! I don't usually needs towels (depending on the hotel) until the 2nd day anyway, so for my regular 3-4 day stay, I could make this work. I bring antibacterial soap for the bathroom and my own liquid soap for the shower, so I REALLY don't need many visits from housekeeping. And it would be wonderful to be able to sleep late without having housekeeping call to see if I need them. (WHY can't they just see the DND sign and leave me alone?)

I am on my own most of the time when traveling (if with my hubby I would want the room cleaned) and don't need sheets changed or three sets of towels per day. I think the only problem would be the wastebaskets, but if there were a way to deal with THAT, I'd be all for it.

A bit OT but just how often do they change the sheets, anyway? I noticed at W Lakeshore that the housekeeper came in on day 2 and changed the bed sheets. I didn't think they did that unless requested. And what about the duvet at most hotels? Do they change those out between guests? I always thought yes, but my cousin said that they only change the sheets, leaving the duvet cover for the next guest. I always think of that when I sit or lay on the bed.

Anyway, the idea of getting points for not needing housekeeping is a good one-Let's hope this spreads across all Starwood hotels- it's a great idea!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Add me to the list...

...I think any serious issues could be overcome by making a 3 day max of allowing this, thus on day 4 the room is cleaned and then you could opt back into the 3 day plan. I too rehang my towels, can use #2 or #3 of the washcloths provided on those days. Excellent plan....let implement this *wood.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
This process is not totally new, but the only time I've encountered this is at the (now-departed) Pacific and Grand Pacific in Tokyo. They gave you a gift certificate good in the hotel for not getting room cleaning, subject to maximum every other day. My do-not-disturb sign was out every other day. It paid for most of a revenue stay (which earned starpoints, including the welcome amenity).

That having been said, I haven't seen this at any other hotel I've stayed at.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I'd certainly use it if it was offered to me. But am I the only one who is reminded of the online checkin bonus points that airlines offered? If this catches on, I would expect the points offer to disappear after a while, just like the online checkin bonuses have disappeared.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Starwood....are you listening? :-: ^ :-: ^ :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.