Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Receive Starpoints or credit for declining housekeeping.

See the Starwood Green Choice Program Description & FAQ for details.

Green Choice options, awarded at check out for each night you decline housekeeping services (except day of departure) :
North America & Europe/Middle East
500 Starpoints, at participating Sheraton, Westin, Luxury Collection, Le Méridien, St. Regis and W locations.
250 Starpoints at participating Aloft, Element and Four Points by Sheraton locations.
Or $5 USD (amount may change based on location/region) voucher at participating food and beverage outlets within the hotel.
Latin America
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option or $5 Food & Beverage option only
Asia Pacific
Participating hotels provide a 250 Starpoint option only.

The maximum number of Green Choice nights allowed is determined by each hotel, but is normally 3 consecutive nights. For longer stays, after housekeeping on the 4th night, you can usually then have another 3 consecutive Green Choice nights.

Flyertalk wiki of participating and non-participating Green Choice properties :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1503438-post-properties-participate-make-green-choice-program.html#post21451970
Print Wikipost

'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I'm at the Westin Maui and have declined service 3 of the 5 nights I've been here. And as I'm leaving tomorrow night, I can easily decline a 4th time. That said, I wonder if I'll get 500 points for each decline, or if I'll just get the $5 restaurant certificates offered.

It's times like this that I don't mind being a solo traveler, and bringing my own shampoo/conditioner.
After you fill out the cards, you can bring them all to the desk to redeem them for 500 points each (which I feel is definitely the best deal.) Consider that you can cover $20 with of incidentals by redeeming 1,500 points in the form of an Instant Award.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Marriott Silver; United PremExec; DL&Skybonus; Amtrak Select+
does anyone have a list of all the participating SPG properties in this program?

And given the expectation that not a lot of properties currently do this, how do we as the eco-minded consumer get the SPG hotels we stay in constantly to join this program?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Originally Posted by Triley
After you fill out the cards, you can bring them all to the desk to redeem them for 500 points each (which I feel is definitely the best deal.) Consider that you can cover $20 with of incidentals by redeeming 1,500 points in the form of an Instant Award.
To be even more green, don't fill out the cards so they can re-use them, instead of throwing them away. Just make sure you tell them your room number and/or last name when you check out so they can apply them properly I do this every week and haven't had a problem with it.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Plat, MR Gold, VIPorter, Fairmont Premier, Expedia Elite Plus
Toronto hotels participating

In 2010, Sheraton Centre, Westin Harbour Castle, and Le Meridien King Eddy all participated in the program - 500 pts a night.

They're not always consistent about actually awarding the redemption card or the points though, so you have to stay on top of it.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by chrisdeaner
To be even more green, don't fill out the cards so they can re-use them, instead of throwing them away. Just make sure you tell them your room number and/or last name when you check out so they can apply them properly I do this every week and haven't had a problem with it.
You mean you'll hand them the card and just tell them the info? I never thought of doing it that way. Will have to remember that my next trip!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chrisdeaner
To be even more green, don't fill out the cards so they can re-use them
Ours came pre-filled.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:12 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Anyone had any luck getting the points posted if you forget to give the coupons to the FD at checkout? I can't seem to remember to cash them in.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Ours came pre-filled.
That's a smart idea. I've never seen that, though. Not that I've stayed at a variety of hotels and used this option. Just the Westin Providence, Westin Nova Scotian, and Westin Harbour Castle. (Used this option at the Westin Nova Scotian many many times.) And never have seen it filled out.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by Triley
That's a smart idea. I've never seen that, though. Not that I've stayed at a variety of hotels and used this option. Just the Westin Providence, Westin Nova Scotian, and Westin Harbour Castle. (Used this option at the Westin Nova Scotian many many times.) And never have seen it filled out.
They are comming pre-filled here at Sheraton Vancouver Airport.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
http://www.greenlodgingnews.com/Star...e-Green-Choice

This article by Glenn Haske is dated 8/14/2010, he stated that "In addition to the Sheraton Seattle and Sheraton Kauai Resort, other hotels participated in a second pilot phase, and now Starwood is rolling out “Make a Green Choice” at all of its Sheraton and Westin properties."

Does rolling out mean this promo is implemented immediately at all locations or slowly adopted by each hotel?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
The westin in pittsburgh gives them out blank and the sheraton fills them out.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:22 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by PromoGoogler
...Does rolling out mean this promo is implemented immediately at all locations or slowly adopted by each hotel?
My money is on "slowly adopted by each hotel". Plus, I would expect this to be rolled out in North America first. Whether it will take hold in other regions remains to be seen.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by myhconsulting
In 2010, Sheraton Centre, Westin Harbour Castle, and Le Meridien King Eddy all participated in the program - 500 pts a night.

They're not always consistent about actually awarding the redemption card or the points though, so you have to stay on top of it.
The Westin Prince participates as well - I called the FD and asked, and they processed the points on the system which posted a couple days later.

Since it's often hard to tell a made-up room from a dirty one at the Westin Prince, this a fairly easy way to get extra points
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG, AA, Hertz
Antone hear of hotels putting a cap on how mony nights this can be done? I am presently at the Shearton Delfina in Santa Monica and after leaving my going green card out for 8 nights they told me that there is a 1500 starpoint limit!?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cubazuelen
Antone hear of hotels putting a cap on how mony nights this can be done? I am presently at the Shearton Delfina in Santa Monica and after leaving my going green card out for 8 nights they told me that there is a 1500 starpoint limit!?
Good grief, I hope I don't get assigned to your room this Friday!

8 days is a little long to go without housekeeping services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.