Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying stays without staying?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hertz #1 Gold, AMEX Plat, Avis CHM, IHG Plat RA
Question Qualifying stays without staying?

Can qualifying stays for elite level be earned by purchasing pre-paid nights without actually showing-up?

TIA.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by chompion
Can qualifying stays for elite level be earned by purchasing pre-paid nights without actually showing-up?

TIA.
NO.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
NO.
In fairness to chompion, I believe the answer to be "NO, according to rules and regulations of the program".

YMMV, but I have received stay credit on this type of situation in the past. It is probably unlikely to occur very often.

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Qualifying stays without staying?
Qualifying stays without staying should work if you at least check in. Nobody should force you to make use of the room.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Qualifying stays without staying should work if you at least check in. Nobody should force you to make use of the room.
Spoken like a real lawyer!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Apparently they do require you to sleep (or at least stay over night) in the room for stay credit. I say that because I once had to check out of a hotel before midnight (having arrived the same day in the morning) and did not get any credit at all. I realize that this sounds like strange behavior on my part, but there were good reasons that are too difficult and personal to explain.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Originally Posted by ajnaro
Apparently they do require you to sleep (or at least stay over night) in the room for stay credit. I say that because I once had to check out of a hotel before midnight (having arrived the same day in the morning) and did not get any credit at all. I realize that this sounds like strange behavior on my part, but there were good reasons that are too difficult and personal to explain.
That brings up my question. Maybe lurker can answer. If I leave at say, 8 pm on Thursday night, but am actually supposed to check out friday morning, can I still get night credit?? Paying for the night is not the issue.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kendalh
That brings up my question. Maybe lurker can answer. If I leave at say, 8 pm on Thursday night, but am actually supposed to check out friday morning, can I still get night credit?? Paying for the night is not the issue.
Why bother checking out?? Just leave when you want to. The maid will come banging on the door at 8 in the morning, and will be happy to see that she has little work to do. Call front desk later in the day and ask them to fax you the bill.

I booked several nights at the Westin Bristol Place in Toronto because of the price and various ongoing promotions. Checked in, went home and called the next day for my bill!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:17 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by kendalh
No, it would be an issue as far as being credited for the night, as ajnaro points out. After all, you did not stay the night. But, IMHO, you should still get a stay credit without the night credit, like you would for a day rate. Failing that, I think you should be credited for the eligible spending that took place.

It's hard to say just how Program Services would handle this issue if a missing stay were reported. No doubt you'd have to submit a folio for sure since the hotel will cancel your reservation to return the room to inventory.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
No, it would be an issue as far as being credited for the night, as ajnaro points out. After all, you did not stay the night. But, IMHO, you should still get a stay credit without the night credit, like you would for a day rate. Failing that, I think you should be credited for the eligible spending that took place.

It's hard to say just how Program Services would handle this issue if a missing stay were reported. No doubt you'd have to submit a folio for sure since the hotel will cancel your reservation to return the room to inventory.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks. Sounds like my best plan will be to just leave on Thursday night, call them up on Friday, say I didnt have time to check out and get them to fax my folio.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
I got no credit at all, and never thought of complaining due to the apparently irrational nature of my behavior. As far as margarita girl's suggestion goes, I had luggage with me. I assume it would have attracted attention to leave without checking out, especially since I normally make use of the bell services.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:28 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I got no credit at all, and never thought of complaining due to the apparently irrational nature of my behavior. As far as margarita girl's suggestion goes, I had luggage with me. I assume it would have attracted attention to leave without checking out, especially since I normally make use of the bell services.
Well, if you have a folio showing that you paid for the night, I would send it via fax to 519-633-8557 or attach it to an email and send it to [email protected], request it as a missing stay credit, and we'll see how they will handle it. That would resolve the mystery for the rest of us.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:30 pm

Who actually checks out anymore? I just make sure the bill they slip under my door is correct and I leave. No need to stop by the front desk and wait in line.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by gt0520a
Who actually checks out anymore? I just make sure the bill they slip under my door is correct and I leave. No need to stop by the front desk and wait in line.
I'm sure many people are like me. I charge everything to my hotel room, but at the end, I need to separate things like food (cause thats part of my per diem) and put them on a different credit card.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: ALL
Holy crud, you actually give consideration to what people think might be your irrational behavior? You are not bothering anyone, so do what you need to do. Leave and if you need a statement for expense account or tax purposes, call and get one.

The only exception to all this is that I do understand why SPG does not want people to game they system by "checking in" for multiple people the same night in the same town, or conceivably all over the country. But one room per night should not even require a physical presence if you are being charged, IMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.