Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:19 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
good service but old rooms

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Plaza has a great club lounge it is true.

The Plaza has probably the best pool of any current Starwood in BKK it is true.

The staff at the Plaza (lounge staff excepted) are however atrocious and the lifts are pretty hopeless too. The rooms are also rather soul-less in comparison with the WGS and SGS. We stayed at the Plaza a few weeks ago and it took almost an hour for someone to bring my bags to the taxi after checking out, this summed up the experience.

The SGS rocks, we have stayed 6 times in the last 12 months and it is the only hotel (one night at the WGS excepted) in BKK where I have never had to make a single complaint. I also love the lack of club lounge at the SGS, Bar Su and/or the living room is sooo much better than a club lounge even a very nice one like that at the Plaza.

The Conrad is OK but the SGS is superb. We have a week's stay booked at the Conrad Residence over Xmas and I feel incredibly guilty for not staying at the SGS.
i agree that the SGS is a good hotel but my rating would be

1.) Plaza Athenee
2.) Westin
3.) SGS
4.) ROS

the ROS with its new suites and the new lounge is not bad, but the location is

the SGS needs a renovation the suite i got in 2005 was already so dated .
when i posted about this that time on FT i got really flamed by the SGS "fanatics " who wont accept that the hotel really needs a renovation.

one thing i worry about is that the SGS will jump up one more CAT after the renovation....

dp
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by derpelikan
i agree that the SGS is a good hotel but my rating would be

1.) Plaza Athenee
2.) Westin
3.) SGS
4.) ROS

the ROS with its new suites and the new lounge is not bad, but the location is

the SGS needs a renovation the suite i got in 2005 was already so dated .
when i posted about this that time on FT i got really flamed by the SGS "fanatics " who wont accept that the hotel really needs a renovation.

one thing i worry about is that the SGS will jump up one more CAT after the renovation....

dp
I can understand how you might prefer the decor of the Westin to the SGS, although I don't feel the decor is that bad in the SGS, it isn't entirely to my taste but nor is it shabby or in bad condition (at least in my 6 stays in the last year I have never noticed shabby interiors in any of the rooms I occupied or the public areas). The Westin feels fresher because the interior design is more modern but I am less keen on the room layout nor do I like taking 2 lifts each time I enter and leave the property, this becomes annoying very quickly.

I really cannot understand how you can rate the Plaza higher than the SGS if the decor is that important to you. The Plaza has IMHO similar decor to the SGS but is just more spartanly furnished. It has a great lounge and pool but our only experience at the Plaza was a disaster and the service was atricious. At the SGS the only quibble I have is that the check in and check out process can be a little disorganised (this can be dealt with for check in however by booking a hotel limo to collect you from the airport and "checking in" in the car).
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:29 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Corporate Event in BKK, which SPG?

Moderators: If this would be better in a seperate thread, please break it out.

We are looking to have a corporate event in BKK and I'm trying to pull us towards one of the SPG properties. Have any of you had attended multi-day events at any of these properties? Any suggestions for which would be best?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
it depends

I can understand how you might prefer the decor of the Westin to the SGS, although I don't feel the decor is that bad in the SGS, it isn't entirely to my taste but nor is it shabby or in bad condition (at least in my 6 stays in the last year I have never noticed shabby interiors in any of the rooms I occupied or the public areas). The Westin feels fresher because the interior design is more modern but I am less keen on the room layout nor do I like taking 2 lifts each time I enter and leave the property, this becomes annoying very quickly.

I really cannot understand how you can rate the Plaza higher than the SGS if the decor is that important to you. The Plaza has IMHO similar decor to the SGS but is just more spartanly furnished. It has a great lounge and pool but our only experience at the Plaza was a disaster and the service was atricious. At the SGS the only quibble I have is that the check in and check out process can be a little disorganised (this can be dealt with for check in however by booking a hotel limo to collect you from the airport and "checking in" in the car).
as you might have had a bad exp. at the plaza, the plaza went the extra mile for us.

i really love the plaza lounge, and the huge suite we have gotten.
i like modern and new and minmalistic stylish rooms.

i dont like Ritz style or old english style rooms or old and worn rooms.

at the SGS i had twice problems with my luggage to be delievered after 1hour... while at the plaza i never had problems.

about the westin , well i like the lounge and the staff, but i dislike the two elevator crap too. (but this is in many hotels these days)

anyway, maybe i have gotten always old suites at the SGS but for people who want to stay in new rooms and stylish hotels the SGS is not the property to go to.

dp
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
as you might have had a bad exp. at the plaza, the plaza went the extra mile for us.

i really love the plaza lounge, and the huge suite we have gotten.
i like modern and new and minmalistic stylish rooms.

i dont like Ritz style or old english style rooms or old and worn rooms.

at the SGS i had twice problems with my luggage to be delievered after 1hour... while at the plaza i never had problems.

about the westin , well i like the lounge and the staff, but i dislike the two elevator crap too. (but this is in many hotels these days)

anyway, maybe i have gotten always old suites at the SGS but for people who want to stay in new rooms and stylish hotels the SGS is not the property to go to.

dp
I agree with you I do not like old English style, old or worn rooms either but I have never had any of these at the SGS. I do not see how the SGS couldfal into th "Old English Style bracket"

I can understand the impact of a bad experience. It certainly seemd to me that the Plaza had a skeleton staffing in contrast to any other BKK hotel I have ever stayed in. Life would be very boring if we all liked the same thing, but since I did not get a suite at the Plaza only a basic and not very pleasant Exec Room, I can only judge on that basis. It seems very strange that we have bothe experienced such polar opposites at 2 seperate properties but thats life I guess. If everyone liked the SGS it would be that much harder to get a suite when I want to stay
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:21 am

suite was really nice

I agree with you I do not like old English style, old or worn rooms either but I have never had any of these at the SGS. I do not see how the SGS couldfal into th "Old English Style bracket"

I can understand the impact of a bad experience. It certainly seemd to me that the Plaza had a skeleton staffing in contrast to any other BKK hotel I have ever stayed in. Life would be very boring if we all liked the same thing, but since I did not get a suite at the Plaza only a basic and not very pleasant Exec Room, I can only judge on that basis. It seems very strange that we have bothe experienced such polar opposites at 2 seperate properties but thats life I guess. If everyone liked the SGS it would be that much harder to get a suite when I want to stay
hi

the suites i got at the plaza were much better than any suite i have stayed at the SGS.

i have stayed at one suite (seperate living ) than you go to the left (bedroom) and than at the end is the bathroom.

for me the suite was just too oldschool

but anyway all hotels are good in bkk, only the concierge at the ROS is

dp
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:23 am
Suspended

I guess you would qualify as a SGS "fanatic"

If you are impressed with the rooms at the SGS you should check-out the Sheraton Imperial KL which has similar "old style" concept but far superior furnishings and fittings. Compare the marbles, the carpets and quality of woodwork. Quite honestly the rooms at the SGS looks "cheap" to me, and for a LC property in BKK its a big let down.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:36 am

Westin for me anytime as I like sleek, modern and even futuristic decor. Great service too.

I was going to try the SGS because of the rave reviews, but when I went to check it out for a future visit - it reminded me of the typical LC hotel experience, old-style and overly fussy. I also do not like 'traditional' decor.

Plaza has very good service and spacious rooms. But it seems a bit jaded and the decor isn't as sleek as the Westin's. I also prefer the Westin's location.

Haven't tried the ROS as it seems pretty out of the way. "River Views" (or just "views" in general) aren't a selling point for me either.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:53 am

sgs on award

Originally Posted by QF009
Westin for me anytime as I like sleek, modern and even futuristic decor. Great service too.

I was going to try the SGS because of the rave reviews, but when I went to check it out for a future visit - it reminded me of the typical LC hotel experience, old-style and overly fussy. I also do not like 'traditional' decor.

Plaza has very good service and spacious rooms. But it seems a bit jaded and the decor isn't as sleek as the Westin's. I also prefer the Westin's location.

Haven't tried the ROS as it seems pretty out of the way. "River Views" (or just "views" in general) aren't a selling point for me either.
if you have 3000 points maybe next time you try the ROS as it is the best value for your points in BKK.

as a platinum i got upgraded to a nice renovated suite + lounge acess. the new lounge is very nice too (the location is , but well for 3000 points...)

i think the property in KL is in anther league than the SGS, but well if you like the SGS good for us, as we wont be fighting for upgrades with you at the WGS, Plaza or ROS

in general all SPG properties are acceptable so i guess this is a endless discussion as everybody has different reasons for chosing his hotel.

dp
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
if you have 3000 points maybe next time you try the ROS as it is the best value for your points in BKK.

as a platinum i got upgraded to a nice renovated suite + lounge acess. the new lounge is very nice too (the location is , but well for 3000 points...)
I actually think the ROS is great value for money (or points) when you get a renovated room.
And I actually like the location. There is a boat stop right by the hotel and within a few minutes you can be anywhere on the river for no money. No traffic problems, taxi drivers etc. ^
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:13 pm

well

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I actually think the ROS is great value for money (or points) when you get a renovated room.
And I actually like the location. There is a boat stop right by the hotel and within a few minutes you can be anywhere on the river for no money. No traffic problems, taxi drivers etc. ^
its a long way to sukumhvit so i usually avoid the hotel on longer trips. but if i am on united flights (which departs early) i usually book one night at the ROS .

the new suites are great and last time i was told that all suites have been renovated already!

btw. i hope that this hotel stays a CAT2, compared to the prices its just not fair that the hotels are all CAT3 or CAT4...

dp
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:55 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I totally agree. I spend more than enough time around Sukhumvit and the other main roads anyway so it makes a nice change every now and again.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:49 am

river

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I totally agree. I spend more than enough time around Sukhumvit and the other main roads anyway so it makes a nice change every now and again.
which is the fastest option to go to sukumvit from the ROS ?

can you use the boat and than change to a taxi?

dp
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:02 am

I am eagerly awaiting the aLoft's opening though - next best thing to a W if reality matches hype. Anyone knows where exactly on Sukumvhit it's going to be located?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:52 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
which is the fastest option to go to sukumvit from the ROS ?

can you use the boat and than change to a taxi?

dp
Mhh, the ROS is not great for Sukhumvit. You need a taxi to get there, boat is no help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.